Holden Appointed ..

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Inevitable, probably not the wrong decision, play-offs were make believe and good whilst it lasted but were never going to happen. Suggests that there is someone lined up to come in at the end of the season?

We have to face facts, on the crowds we get and FFP we are treading water till the vicious circle is broken and income exceeds expenditure but that won't happen until the team is performing but that can't happen until income exceeds expenditure but that won't happen until........

Good luck Dean, glad that Tony P is helping out, hopefully we can get the 5 or so points we need to get mid table obscurity and can then blood some youth ready to step up once the inevitable clear-out happens in the summer.

Good appointment compared to Yates or sellers who we could of had now. Sounds like the applicant we want isn't available till the summer? Dowie? Feel a lot better with tony philliskirk assisting would of give him the job if he would of ever wanted it.

Good appointment compared to Yates or sellers who we could of had now. Sounds like the applicant we want isn't available till the summer? Dowie? Feel a lot better with tony philliskirk assisting would of give him the job if he would of ever wanted it.

The playoffs were well withing reach, not because we are brilliant, but because everyone else going for 6th is beatable and as :censored: as us.

Ridiculous comments from the directors again - basically read that as Dean Holden sees this season die out to nothing & we go for promotion next year. Absolute crap when we were in the mix this year with what is possibly our best chance in a long time to give us, the fans, a little bit of success. Losing patience with the morons who run this club.

That aside, all the best to Holden, had a rough ride with injuries so far, but hopefully he will do enough to keep us top half.

Edited by youngen

Didn't expect anything else to be honest. The exact uninspiring, indecisive and completely amateurish handling of a situation that we've come to expect from the board.

What message does this give out to the players and fans? A season with so much promise that's now stumbling on to mediocrity.

Holden's a nice chap I'm sure and has the club at heart but sentiment means nothing in football. His track record thus far hasn't been inspiring and whilst it is a stop gap, it won't really entice the fans to renew when we end up just above relegation again.

I could be wrong and we could have a "wow factor" managerial appointment lined up for next season who is contractually tied until then. However, the board will undoubtedly mess that up - appoint them weeks into close season; no opportunity to assess current squad, no chance to recruit for a challenge next season and no incentive to the fans to sit up from their seats and think "yes I want to renew".

We needed a catalyst because the seasons gone flat and the board have basically shrugged their shoulders, opted to go cheap as usual and lacked the ambition yet again.

The more I think about it, the more this might be a good move - if we get a cracking manager on board once the season is over.

Yes that's a big if - but I think the season ticket sales point, while it has a lot of merit, is mainly stemming from understandable impatience.

My gut feeling is we have a gaffer lined up.

I feel sorry for those with season tickets when the season has effectively been written off though.

dean's not my fav by any stretch but i wish him the best of luck........really poor decision though as i cant see there being a candidate who is miles better than any current applicants that we should be waiting for. looks like the rumours its a current player whose deal runs out in summer may be true.

again we will have a new manager who will need some pre-season games to work out who to keep and what to go get. last min signings at end of window. likely disjointed start to next year. hardly the boost we could have got by appointing somone quickly when LJ left. totally lost interest for the rest of the season now

I'm fine with this if it's followed by a decent permanent appointment.

On the other hand - he might start pulling the results out once injured players are back....

Glad to see TP involved - remember how Matt Smith kicked on last time he was?

Interesting to see if similar happens with Turner & Wilkinson. He rates Bove highly aswell.

The issue isn't that he's been appointed to the end of the season now, although that is frustrating, it's that we didn't appoint somebody else earlier when we still had a real shot at the play offs.

And those that say we were never good enough, we've been hanging around the top 6 for about 4 months. We've showed we can consistently maintain form to challenge. We've beaten Bradford, Doncaster, Swindon, Port Vale, Fleetwood, Rochdale and drawn against a host of other rivals. It goes back to something Johnson said early in his tenure about the mind-set of Latics being permanently defeatist. All the evidence showed we were good enough yet some still didn't believe it and clearly the chairman didn't either.

I think someone's lined up for pre-season then. Pleased that we've not rushed in and got someone on a whim. Season over. We'll scrape through and if the full-time appointment is worth waiting for, it's the right thing to do now. 3 weeks a go, there was a slim chance and now there isn't.

All about next season and this could point to Dowie (hopefully).