Jake Cassidy signs 2 year Deal

And by the same token midfielders at this level aren't good enough to thread balls through eyes of needles either. At our level crosses behind defenders always cause no end of problems for Division 3 cart horses. I believe we see more ball retention bollocks due to coaches who need to display that, er, artistry in order to look good in interviews for their next job (hopefully at a higher level).

yes, possession stats can be high when passing backwards and sideways.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone who thinks that signing a player who couldn't score in a division below is a good one is :censored:ing deluded. Seriously, I want what you're on.

Kevin Keegan 124 games 18 goals for lowly Scunthorpe..who in their right mind thought he could score prolifically at the highest level?

Edited by BP1960

Keegan was deployed as a right sided midfielder for Scunny in a side fighting relegation, it was only later on in his career when he was pushed up top to a central striking role during his time at Liverpool when he playing alongside Toshack, so stats don't always tell the full picture.

I believe he's been brought in to link the play up with others feeding off him, which ultimately means we will be reliant on the same players as last year for goals. That's the concern, particularly as I can't see Forte repeating his purple patch from last season.

Edited by chickenbaltipie

Are we suggesting we no longer want to play a passing game but pump hopefull balls into the box? Not for me thanks

All about striking a balance.

It's important to keep the ball and retain possession but every now and then we need to be prepared to rather than play the safe ball take a risk take players on or fire an early ball into the box.

Im guessing BP1960 is the first Latic to be praying that Cassidy fails monumentaly after that pledge.

?

Absolutely wrong, a top signing IMO whether he scores prolifically or not.

Edited by BP1960

Anyone who thinks that signing a player who couldn't score in a division below is a good one is :censored:ing deluded. Seriously, I want what you're on.

Matt Smith only scored 1 in 8 in League 2 and Macc didn't want him back when offered on the cheap. What's your point? Edited by jorvik_latic

Keegan was deployed as a right sided midfielder for Scunny in a side fighting relegation, it was only later on in his career when he was pushed up top to a central striking role during his time at Liverpool when he playing alongside Toshack, so stats don't always tell the full picture.

I believe he's been brought in to link the play up with others feeding off him, which ultimately means we will be reliant on the same players as last year for goals. That's the concern, particularly as I can't see Forte repeating his purple patch from last season.

Why not?

We've also got Murphy and Turner who both had fitness issues last season. They have hardly played and it will be like signing two new players.

I'm also hopeful that with a full pre-season under his belt Poleon will also hit the ground running........

I'm hoping for a much better goal threat next season as this could prove to be the best crop of strikers we've had in a long long time.

Why not?

Last season was his best strike rate of his career, I think he hit a purple patch, I will take my hat off to him if he gets 15 next season. Didn't look the same player towards the end of the season but he did have a spell on the sidelines, let's hope he gets as fit as he can be and kicks on again.

I do feel we have genuine versatility in our potential forward line, and there are most certainly goals to be unlocked from forward options of Forte, Cassidy, Poleon, Turner and Murphy.

The question is of course if our manager is good enough to manage his resources. We bought 3 and aquired 2 of those options - It is a long time since a Latics manager had that as a starting point....over to you Darren!!