3 at the back

I dont actually think a back 3 would be that bad for us. We certainly have the midfield to play it, and i think wilson would do a fantastic job as king pin, only stumbling block for me would be brown wilson and mills. Could they cover the other 2 defensive positions between them?

I still think Kelly could play in the middle of a back 3. One of them would be stepping into midfield anyway against one up front and slotting back when required. It wouldn't be a world away from what he does now.

Edited by leeslover

I still think Kelly could play in the middle of a back 3. One of them would be stepping into midfield anyway against one up front and slotting back when required. It wouldn't be a world away from what he does now.

If we went with a continental back 3 with a beckenbaur sweeper in the middle then yes however in league 1 a big Greganesque unit will be required as he will be required to head the ball clear more often than playing in Holland or Germany, and then have 2 more mobile/footballing centre backs either side of him. To bring the ball out of defence.

If we went with a continental back 3 with a beckenbaur sweeper in the middle then yes however in league 1 a big Greganesque unit will be required as he will be required to head the ball clear more often than playing in Holland or Germany, and then have 2 more mobile/footballing centre backs either side of him. To bring the ball out of defence.

I never got the idea that a defence was helped by having someone who could only head a ball... I know it's not what you mean but Wilson and Burns (if he's what we hope) should be fine with crosses with Kelly in front or behind if needed. They can all play too.

• 3 weeks later...

3 at the back would allow us to field our best 11 players and leave out Brown & Mills who have, arguably, been our poorest so far. That said we haven't conceded many from down either flank ....

It'd suit us better if we're going to persevere with Croft aswell.

He seems to do loads of defensive things really well like tracking back, closing down, he even made a last ditch header in the area out for a corner on Saturday.

His problem is he's no good at any of the right winger stuff like crossing, taking people on and scoring.

We'd have an extra midfielder/forward to do some of that.

Edited by HarryBosch

I agree Croft would be made for the position and on the left on Saturday Mike Jones spent half the game playing as a wing back. It would allow us to drop Brown for a more creative player especially at home.

Mike Jones as a :censored:in wing back??? If I had a coffee nearby I wud splutter if all over my phone in honour of this :censored:in ludicrous idea.

Could Yeates play wingback?

When I have seen him, which is rare he is more of an old school winger who hugs the touchline, Im not saying he couldnt but I think we will see him as an out and out winger in a 4-4-2. Where that leaves Forte is anyones guess.

When I have seen him, which is rare he is more of an old school winger who hugs the touchline, Im not saying he couldnt but I think we will see him as an out and out winger in a 4-4-2. Where that leaves Forte is anyones guess.

Up top or up Tarn at a guess

Yeates is primarily right footed, he can play equally well on either flank though, and also as an attacking central midfielder.