Darren Kelly - I've seen the light

People seem to be confident we won't sell anyone before the window shuts, what's the consensus? Past habits tells me we still might lose a player, but all noises out of the club don't tell us that there's anyone sniffing around.

Was it two weeks into the season we lost Baxter a couple of years ago? I'm not too confident yet.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There will be! Simon usually brings about change when we are staring down that particular barrell.

Looking at the squad as a whole we have probably loosened the purse strings a little and have a bigger budget, we have kept the big players from last year Forte, Winchester, Jones, Kelly, Wilson and Mills and added Dunn a player who has a superior pedigree than any of Bury's signings who so many were getting jealous of over a month ago Cassidy, Burn and Green who all have potential and fully fit Croft who we know loves it here, and we know we will get a 110% from.

I think really we are within our rights to expect a little more from this squad than from other squads ours from the last 6-7 years. Its not often we have a whole squad in place 3 weeks ahead of the date the transfer window SLAMS SHUT!

In our division the window doesnt shut. See stephens and Furman for examples.

I think the tightening of the purse strings from January onwards last season has freed up a bit of cash for Kelly tho year.

Corney was probably aware Johnson was fishing or a new job and didn't want to give him funds to push for playoffs when we were in touching distance. The fact we look to have retained our best and added to the squad shows a bit of flex in the budget this year.

I think the tightening of the purse strings from January onwards last season has freed up a bit of cash for Kelly tho year.

Corney was probably aware Johnson was fishing or a new job and didn't want to give him funds to push for playoffs when we were in touching distance. The fact we look to have retained our best and added to the squad shows a bit of flex in the budget this year.

You have to factor in the crowds dropped off alarmingly last year. And we have kept more of our better (higher paid) players too.

Agree with everything else. I am sure the budget will have increased a bit with a more Northern based league too.

"Don't think the Latics board would be happy with 9th.... We've held on to our better players and have the best squad we've had for a long long time, I'm pretty certain this time around that anything other than being in or around the playoff places for most/all of the season would be classed as failure!"

Can't see this at all. Surely the time is for consolidation until the income from the new stand kicks in? 9th would be considered very good in my view.

Kean, Mellis, Murphy, Wilkinson brought in last January, bids supposedly turned down for two players.

Are we not better off than last season at this stage?

we had a point in the league after a opening day awaY draw followed by a loss to Boro

last season 0-3

this season 1-3

Thats shows progress in my eyes, Kee it up DK! :chubb:

Are we not better off than last season at this stage?

we had a point in the league after a opening day awaY draw followed by a loss to Boro

last season 0-3

this season 1-3

Thats shows progress in my eyes, Kee it up DK! :chubb:

Lost 3-1 at home to Leyton Orient after the Middlesbiorough defeat last season, let's hope for better progress against Fleetwood.

Would a 3-2 defeat be classed as progress? I have a feeling we could do quite well on Saturday.

I'll be amazed if we don't win on Saturday and if we don't it might finish me off once and for all.... :lol:

What's the earliest a season ticket's ever been thrown onto the pitch??

(Without the owner ever having sat in either his seat or the stand the seat's in?)

Edited by HarryBosch

One thing I was pleased about having witnessed the Middlesbrough game, was the fact that even against an opposition that were a step up in class we showed much more attacking intent than we did under LJ. We caused them quite a few problems, which we didn't at all really in the game with them this time last year.