So, two games in - thoughts and your team for Fleetwood?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be playing;

Coleman

Brown J Wilson burn mills

Croft kelly jones forte

Cassidy Philly

I honestly think 4-4-2 is the way for our squad and that team can also be played as a 4-5-1 if needed too.

People saying Philly wasn't good the other night surprise me. Thought he was one of a very few decent players. He really does the dirty work you don't always see first hand.

Edited by adamoafc

I would be playing;

Coleman

Brown J Wilson burn mills

Croft kelly jones forte

Cassidy Philly

I honestly think 4-4-2 is the way for our squad and that team can also be played as a 4-5-1 if needed too.

People saying Philly wasn't good the other night surprise me. Thought he was one of a very few decent players. He really does the dirty work you don't always see first hand.

Agree the criticism of Philly was a bit strong, but how many players do you need to do the dirty work? We have Jones, Kelly, Croft, Cassidy who are all prepared to chip in with that.

In the end you need a creative player who will open up a defence or a fast player who will stretch a defence, I'm not sure Philly is capable of doing that. He scored the other night, but he missed a few great chances as well.

After last season, you cannot justify Philliskirk ahead of Winchester, and certainly not after one league game. I'd much rather play Poleon, Green or Turner at this stage. Philly needs to earn back his place.

I'm not sure Philly is capable of doing that. He scored the other night, but he missed a few great chances as well

You say that but look at Andy Cole for example granted he was in the prem but shots on target to goals was roughly over his career 1 in every 7 shots. No doubt he knows where the net is and forte and croft are the sort of players to supply them to him.

Coleman

Brown J Wilson Burn Mills

Kelly

Croft Dunn Jones Forte

Cassidy

That's our best team and formation, with 7 or 8 very capable players battling for a place on the bench.

A quality RB and we'd be sorted.

I will be very disappointed not to be around the playoffs all season if we can put that 11 out every week!!

Agree the criticism of Philly was a bit strong, but how many players do you need to do the dirty work? We have Jones, Kelly, Croft, Cassidy who are all prepared to chip in with that.

In the end you need a creative player who will open up a defence or a fast player who will stretch a defence, I'm not sure Philly is capable of doing that. He scored the other night, but he missed a few great chances as well.

After last season, you cannot justify Philliskirk ahead of Winchester, and certainly not after one league game. I'd much rather play Poleon, Green or Turner at this stage. Philly needs to earn back his place.

Typical nonsense. You seem to talk for the sake of talking. We need to find a way to get Jones being effective further up the pitch, not doing the donkeywork.

Having just watched the highlights, it struck that me that one thing about Philliskirk is that more often than not he seems to hit the target, unlike many other strikers. It appeared that quite a few (of not only his) shots were blocked by various Boro body parts (whether you call that luck or skill is up to you), and could easily have found the net. You could argue he was somewhat unlucky not to walk away with a hat-trick.

Having just watched the highlights, it struck that me that one thing about Philliskirk is that more often than not he seems to hit the target, unlike many other strikers. It appeared that quite a few (of not only his) shots were blocked by various Boro body parts (whether you call that luck or skill is up to you), and could easily have found the net. You could argue he was somewhat unlucky not to walk away with a hat-trick.

Maybe he ought to practice mi:censored:ting the shots, they may find the net. :wink:

Maybe he ought to practice mi:censored:ting the shots, they may find the net. :wink:

Used to work for me!

If mi:censored:ting shots were a skill, I would have been Premier League!!!

Seriously though BP1960, with your more trained eye, would you class Danny as a 'more accurate' striker, and if so would you consider that to be a particular asset?

Yes. It's always baffled me too that one

"You have to put it as far away from the keeper as possible" always seemed to make more sense...

Or, "kick it quite hard." Both of these increase the chances both of scoring and of shooting wide or over.

Yes. It's always baffled me too that one

"You have to put it as far away from the keeper as possible" always seemed to make more sense...

It could be based on the assumption that a keeper should have pretty much most of the goal covered, and, bar a miracle deflection, you are never going to score with a shot heading for the corner flag or the top tier of the stand.

The question is, would you prefer a striker who, whilst his shots are often a bit tamer, and may be blocked (keeping the ball in play for rebounds etc.) or saved (allowing the possibility of fumbles etc.), they are generally on target; or a striker who often is high, wide & handsome but gets the occasional unstoppable one in the in the top corner.

As they say (thus dooming me to the pit of pig food!), If you don't hit the target...