Oldham 1 Fleetwood 0

A strange game but three points. Comments here are rather harsh as what do you expect from league 1 teams - we are not a premiership team and don't play premiership opposition. Yes we could and should have conceded an early goal but remember they are league 1 players as well and miss more often than they hit - it was blaze over or a soft shot on target from them.

After the shaky start we tried to keep the ball down and slowly worked our way into the game and ended a goal to the good with an excellent strike by Philly. With Fleetwood wondering why they were behind we then made it easily to half time.

Second half was disjointed by both side but although Fleetwood huffed and puffed and applied increasing pressure the shots on target were well dealt with by an excellent Coleman who only made one mistake all game coming for a long throw. Brilliant move which should have seen Croft score would have ended the game. Our team played and fought for each other and deserved to keep a clean sheet second half.

Referee a bit inconsistent and should have red carded the dangerous retaliation tackle on Kelly but was kind not to give a penalty against the increasingly rash Connor Brown.

The injury to Cassidy is a problem. Turner did well as his replacement but is not strong enough up front on his own. Forte is still best played on the left. Pollen has improved but still needs to know when to release the ball. Dunn was not mobile enough for the position he was asked to play and I didn't see anything to rave about. Kelly excellent and Jones kept on working. Wilson and Burn will make a good partnership. Mills up and down and Connor loves to put our hearts in our mouths.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would honestly take results like this every week even if we do play like that. It's alright playing LJ's style of constant flowing football but how many times were we on the wrong end of the score line? Far to many. With the same excuse of clubs saying Oldham are the best team we've played and we still finished 15th. Think some on this board need to give their heads a wobble and realise you need to win ugly sometimes even when you don't deserve it!

What I did like, is how he dropped Winchester because he's had two bad performances - it's good to know he's not relying on the same men week in week out.

I hope that's a sign for Winchester to kick on and go one better than what we know he's capable of, same goes for any other player that drops in form this season hopefully they'll be dropped for a game or two depending on how well the replacement plays.

Today's game was crying out for a Winchester type mazy run though.

Some people are losing it a little. Calm down. Its the second game.

Fleetwood fans were loud? I didn't hear a peep. The Rochdale road end on the other hand was great today.

Some miserable sods on here.

If that was 'great' then I must need hearing aids. It was a :censored:e atmosphere. For probably near 2000 home fans in the RRE, can you really say that was great?

While it's good to see Kelly is not scared to drop our major players, I don't want him to tinker too much. We've yet to actually start our best players and I think today's team selection was poor, although the performances of a couple of usually reliable players were lacking for parts of the game. We just felt disjointed at times. We were let off the hook. The Dunn substitution was badly timed as well - he's clearly not a player you want to bring on when you're trying to protect a lead, despite his brilliant ability to shield and retain possession, he's not going to be be able to play at his full capability when the team's mindset is defensive. He needs to be blooded from the start, and if that means he has to be taken off at half time so be it - he might have won us the game by then anyway.

Edited by NewBlue

If that was 'great' then I must need hearing aids. It was a :censored:e atmosphere. For probably near 2000 home fans in the RRE, can you really say that was great?

While it's good to see Kelly is not scared to drop our major players, I don't want him to tinker too much. We've yet to actually start our best players and I think today's team selection was poor, although the performances of a couple of usually reliable players were lacking for parts of the game. We just felt disjointed at times. We were let off the hook. The Dunn substitution was badly timed as well - he's clearly not a player you want to bring on when you're trying to protect a lead, despite his brilliant ability to shield and retain possession, he's not going to be be able to play at his full capability when the team's mindset is defensive. He needs to be blooded from the start, and if that means he has to be taken off at half time so be it - he might have won us the game by then anyway.

Philly had won us the game by then

Bloody hell, it wasn't a classic but we won! The original game plan seemed to go after Cassidy went off, so we ground out the win. Had a decent period in the second half where we put a few moves together and croft should have scored.

Some people like moaning for the sake of it.

Poelon being tracked by championship clubs.... Yeah right! Worked hard but no football Brain and no left foot.

I wonder if all those not happy with Croft would be singing the same tune if he had scored when he should have. Worked his nuts off and won the ball so many times but had no back up to pick a loose balls here and there. Watch the full game again and you may realise he was helping someone out constantly who is not first choice. Let's not pay attention to that though eh because he did Ok

I wonder if all those not happy with Croft would be singing the same tune if he had scored when he should have. Worked his nuts off and won the ball so many times but had no back up to pick a loose balls here and there. Watch the full game again and you may realise he was helping someone out constantly who is not first choice. Let's not pay attention to that though eh because he did Ok

The problem with saying that is that it's not a one off - he never scores when he should do.

It feels like you're purposely trying to find fault with Brown again. He didn't seem to do much wrong and most of their threat came down Mills' side or through the centre, when they were able to get the ball to Matt's feet. He linked with Croft well quite a few times and played some good passes.

Croft played okay, he will always play okay, but there wasn't much end product again.

Edited by NewBlue

The problem with saying that is that it's not a one off - he never scores when he should do.

It feels like you're purposely trying to find fault with Brown again. He didn't seem to do much wrong and most of their threat came down Mills' side or through the centre, when they were able to get the ball to Matt's feet. He linked with Croft well quite a few times and played some good passes.

Croft played okay, he will always play okay, but there wasn't much end product again.

It seems like I'm trying to find fault with Brown? Again? I said he did Ok but how can you ignore the same :censored: Wilson gets hammered for plus 2 incidents where he dragged their 14 down in the area for no reason twice in 2 minutes definite pens! No brain...

Mills wasn't great and Brown in the first half played the best cross of the game until he got skinned in the 2nd half and their winger crossed a ball which should have seen us conceed. Fortunately for Brown unlike Wilson Gunning wasn't there to :censored: it up so they could tap it in.

Brown did Ok however Wilson seems to get blame for the same stuff the Brown doesn't just because his body language says he works harder. 3 times he mis-kicked and the same people who slagged Wilson on Wednesday shouted well done Connor... I :censored:in laughed!!!

We need a new right back and Croft has already had more chances than his last spell. A goal or 2 will come.

Edited by palmer1

Bloody hell, it wasn't a classic but we won! The original game plan seemed to go after Cassidy went off, so we ground out the win. Had a decent period in the second half where we put a few moves together and croft should have scored.

Some people like moaning for the sake of it.

Someone speaking sense.

It wasn't great, but we got three points. Usual overreaction on here.

I'll take another ugly win on Tuesday.

Some players not at their best, striker taken off injured quite early , yet we won . I'll take that .

More to come from Mills, Jones, poleon , . Hopefully two goals for Philly will give him more confidence and assertiveness, Crofty for me is an asset with his work rate and positive attitude, - and we've got 4 points from first 2 games in the league.

Yes, I'll take all that.

Oh yes, James Wilson has looked very calm and commanding in the two matches I've seen him. Could be very good partnership with Burn once they get more used to playing together . Remember that Burn has only been at the club for about a week - still to bed in.

Two league games in, 4 points against two reasonably difficult teams. Am I missing something here? Didn't we get lucky against Fleetwood in similar circumstances last season but still win?

Looking at last seasons threads at this point, there wasn't as much 'we're doomed' mentality. We won yesterday FFS! Yes it was scrappy but who cares?! It's three points! We aren't Barca, we probably won't play sexy football but if we are getting results however scrappy they may be, I'd be happy.

Would you rather us play fancy attacking football and run the risk of getting tonked or be difficult to beat and get results?

Seriously, I don't understand what some people want on this forum. You moan when we win, you moan when we lose!

Turns out this forum is hugely positive compared to the Chron where someone says it was the worst performance in 58 years watching and wants the manager and coach sacked..

Good grief.

Quite. There was a 0-3 against Grimsby that was definitely worse.