Oldham 1 Shrewsbury 1 FT

Lee Johnson was doing alright with them for a fair chunk of last season..

We also got battered 4-0 by Yeovil (and we were lucky it wasn't 8) in the worst professional football performance I have ever seen.

It wasn't great yesterday, but the reaction is way over the top. The players are playing for the manager and each other. 4 games in, that is all.

Edited by pukka

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We also got battered 4-0 by Yeovil (and we were lucky it wasn't 8) in the worst professional football performance I have ever seen.

It wasn't great yesterday, but the reaction is way over the top. The players are playing for the manager and each other. 4 games in, that is all.

Well yes, but generally the performances were pretty good!

The point is that this squad has the talent to be challenge, as they showed for a lot of last season. A good manager would have us challenging again as we've kept the majority of the squad together and made a few additions.

Look. Yes, it's not the best of performances. However, why call for DK's head already? Early days. He knows that we've not been at our best. Calling for him to be sacked is just pathetic. Those that are calling him out are probably the same people who wanted him out as soon as he was appointed and looked way too much into the IRA stuff. Give him abit more time. Unbeaten yet!

Who's calling for him to be sacked?

Well yes, but generally the performances were pretty good!

Really?

We were garbage from December last year, barring the odd performance. So we haven't strung 3 or 4 consistantly good performances in a long time.

And you expect us to challenge? It was a par for the course lower league game that you get at our level yesterday. Some good stuff, some crap. One difference, we didn't get beaten.

I am not saying it was good, but it wasn't this abomination either. I have watched worse at home than that every season since we got into this division.

Edited by pukka

Rookie manager ....cheap appointment etc . Immaterial to me.

Our three most successful managers of the last 70 years have all been rookies at management - Hardwick, Frizzell, Royle. And the last two were appointed partly because they were willing to take the job on a low wage.

Yes Royle and Hardwick at played at the top level - but there are loads of ex internationals who have failed miserably as managers.

Frizz's playing record in England was in the bottom two divisions

Four league games, unbeaten .

Not got it right yet, but regardless of systems, tactics etc there is still more to come from key individuals like Winchester, Dunn, possibly Green....The future isn't half as dark as some on here portray it .

Edited by LaticsPete

Really?

We were garbage from December last year, barring the odd performance. So we haven't strung 3 or 4 consistantly good performances in a long time.

And you expect us to challenge? It was a par for the course lower league game that you get at our level yesterday. Some good stuff, some crap. One difference, we didn't get beaten.

I am not saying it was good, but it wasn't this abomination either. I have watched worse at home than that every season since we got into this division.

After we beat Swindon in February, we were still knocking around the play-offs. I'd say losing heavily to Yeovil and MK Dons were fairly freakish results (perhaps due to something going on off the pitch around that time?? Maybe, maybe not..), but when we played well, we played very well and won convincingly.

I'm not saying yesterday was bad (I wasn't there, so how could I??), I'm not even questioning Kelly's ability as a manager, but someone said earlier in the thread that the current squad don't have the ability to play well and I disagree.

Edited by JoeP

Really?

Remember - our most recent poor performance is always the WORST EVER.

After we beat Swindon in February, we were still knocking around the play-offs. I'd say losing heavily to Yeovil and MK Dons were fairly freakish results (perhaps due to something going on off the pitch around that time?? Maybe, maybe not..), but when we played well, we played very well and won convincingly.

I'm not saying yesterday was bad (I wasn't there, so how could I??), I'm not even questioning Kelly's ability as a manager, but someone said earlier in the thread that the current squad don't have the ability to play well and I disagree.

And at this stage last year we were on 2 points.

Going through the fixtures Im looking for convincing performances from before december last year..

Donny away

Coventry at home

Dale away was clinical

I didnt do Swindon away, but by all accounts it was good.

Other games were ok, but not convincing.

All I am saying is yesterday was a standard game over the last few years. Kelly is getting stick previous managers after a few games into it would not have got.

Edited by pukka

Players are good enough to compete.

Manager (and injuries) will hold us back, if anything.

May be unbeaten but your position is measured by points, not your loss column. We're twelfth.

We've played teams you wouldn't expect to be competing at the top end by the end of the season. Maybe Walsall will finish highest, but it probably won't be in the top 6.

He's still experimenting.

If DK is experimenting I hope he has learnt that Forte is not a replacement for Cassidy. Forte should play wide left either from the midfield or with a striker that can hold the ball. I would have moved Jones to replace Philly with Philly up front and Forte on the left.

The penalty had to be given because Dunn was squeezed by two defenders and went down with the referee behind him - clever play.

We defended all the free kicks and corners and then let that stupid sucker punch long ball goal which I believe followed another aimless punt up field by special mention.

DK has six from four and there are signs that this team can play. He is not Joe Royle but he is our manager and should be supported - isn't that what we are called?

I thought we were playing well up until they made their subs after the penalty. Started a bit slow but got better and were edging a pretty even encounter. Half an hour in we were starting to dominate a bit more, how many through balls into an offside Forte? Great effort off the bar. Shrewsbury's coaches were trying to get more out of their players in the last 15 minutes as they weren't closing down or putting in enough effort.

Started much the better in the second half and took the lead and maybe could have made it 2 from the restart. Shrewsbury made their changes and the game swung their way. We couldn't cope with it for a while but somehow managed to hold on. Taking Croft and Dunn off didn't help, probably needed a rest but the replacements weren't much upto it. Kelly had a decent chance when Philliskirk played him in.

Turner could have been brought on earlier maybe, started to have more control of the game then.

I didn't like the punted balls down the wing to Forte, looked so Sunday League. Might as well accept the money for him if we can't get him to play. 2 goals in 17 from him.

it wasn't good from us after the Shrewsbury Subs, as the home team we should be looking to take the game to them but we really struggled. We should have beaten Colchester and we should have beaten Shrewsbury. Still unbeaten and in the top half. Big test at free-scoring Bury next week.

Who's calling for him to be sacked?

Absolutely loads of people. There are also some who dont want the :censored: but are trying to block the :censored: out and back the squad.

For a more realistic opinion I think you should canvass opinion at the next away game.

The game wasn't exciting, it was all to pedestrian. Slow in build up and tippy tappy far to much. It's the kind of stuff that gets the fans sat back in their seats bored :censored:less. Forte is not the answer up alone. When its punted up front Forte was either off side or the big centre half won it comfortably.

Shrewsbury only looked capable of scoring from set plays or corners, which saw them win 90% of the headers in our box. Latics after 10 mins were in control of the game without being dangerous except for the Forte bar shot. That at home is not going to get the crowd singing and bouncing, nor improve the numbers. Once we got our fortunate played for penalty, we should have upped the tempo and put them to the sword. Instead we tried to take the sting out the game, sit back and coast home. Like we've done before and the scene was set. A terrible goal to give away ensued and they were in the hunt with the momentum. A punt up field that Philiskirk had a free run and jump to head it, got horribly underneath it, missed the free header. The ball then bounced beyond the flat footed Burn and static defence. Simply round Coleman. Goal. :censored:e.

We need some fast attacking play, especially at home. We are crying out to be entertained. We have been for over a decade.

God forbid anyone should try and encourage a young Latics player in a home match.

Kelly wanting to make Boundary Park a fortress? :censored:ing no chance.

You missed my point completely.

I urge people to encourage all Oldham players. I do myself, Connor Brown included believe it or not. But the amount of 'Well done Connor' & 'nice one Brown' I hear for very simple parts of the game that other players don't get the same pleasantries for leads me to believe that he defied expectation because everyone Is relieved he didn't :censored: up.

Create a fortress? Encouragement alone won't do that. The best players we have playing will.

And did anyone note another pen claim for Brown bringing someone down off the ball 3 in 2 games now....silly boy.

Edited by palmer1

So would you people complaining about boring football be happy with us going all out attack and losing 3-2 every week..?

What sort of a trick question is that?

If the boring, non entertaining football continues, so will the gradual drifting away crowd continue.

Do you want no one left that bothers to go and no club? before you say it......similar :censored:e question

Edited by Lags