Lee Johnson's much vaunted PowerPoint - here it is

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure how you can blame the club for that one.

Not so much blame but the clubs all clubs outside the top 2-3 in the premiership lose their best players or managers the ones that go forward tend to be the ones that adapt and replace them. Swansea probably being the most high profile example. Peterborough did it very well over the last 4-5 years. Scunthorpe did it well for a couple of seasons, even Rochdale have done it pretty well in recent years.

Since Johnson left in February we've stagnated on the pitch all we've done so far is carry last seasons form into this season.

Johnsons ambition outgrew ours rather too quickly aswell.

Edited by GlossopLatic

In my last job I would sit through endless PowerPoint meetings where IT people just throw a lot of information at you. Now I work in a marketing agency where they keep the message as simple as possible as they know the audience need to understand it.

Maybe that's the challenge create a strategic game plan which out foxes the opposition but so that Connor Brown and Dom Poleon understand it.

Just tell them to run, dont stop to think.

Was it when Penney was manager he gave some complicated instructions to Abbott (?) who replied with 'What the :censored: does that mean?'

I keep thinking the Individual Brilliance Zone could just be called, "SHOOOOOOT!!!"

Depends whether your from the Lee Johnson school of football or the Paul Ince one...

Done a few in my time, great for flummoxing audiences, you can baffle a lot with science.

Funnily enough, even though the title of the presentation was called Maximising Science in League 1; there was precious little actual science in the whole presentation....

Textbook Bull:censored: baffling brains.

Edited by singe

What a load of absolute garbage that PowerPoint is. Of course tactics are important but for me it's more about approach rather than overly complex and jargon filled bull:censored: ideas such as the "corridor of confusion" (ffs)

All things being equal, play 2 up front and get the ball forward quickly and you will probably score more goals.

Teams with better players typically finish higher in the table, not always, but usually.

I firmly believe we would have more points if we had approached every game with a more attacking line up

Simples!!

I can't imagine that many league 1 footballers would subscribe to this approach. It's pretty simple really, get the ball, keep the ball, move it towards the oppositions goal and put it in the onion bag, step two is repeat what you just did and step three is something similar. To achieve this we will need a team I repeat a team that can run faster than the opposition and that has the necessary skills to put the above instruction into play. During the weekly training session we can work on getting and keeping fit and to work together as a team. When we start winning games we will know that our plans really do work.

Maybe I listened to too many Lee Johnson interviews, but the zone stuff makes sense to me. A lot of it harks back to bits and pieces he mentioned, especially early in his tenure. A lot of the language used may be cringeworthy, but it lets players know what they should be doing at any time. Not having that it's too complicated, all it takes is a one-to-one chat for any issues to be explained.

Maybe I listened to too many Lee Johnson interviews, but the zone stuff makes sense to me. A lot of it harks back to bits and pieces he mentioned, especially early in his tenure. A lot of the language used may be cringeworthy, but it lets players know what they should be doing at any time. Not having that it's too complicated, all it takes is a one-to-one chat for any issues to be explained.

Exactly. I think a lot of the odd phrases are just ways to refer to concepts we're all familiar with but are maybe a bit clunky to verbalise. "Corridor of confusion" is a lot easier said than "that channel about six yards out where defenders and goalkeepers tend to get a bit unsure of their individual responsibilities".

Exactly. I think a lot of the odd phrases are just ways to refer to concepts we're all familiar with but are maybe a bit clunky to verbalise. "Corridor of confusion" is a lot easier said than "that channel about six yards out where defenders and goalkeepers tend to get a bit unsure of their individual responsibilities".

If we're pissing ourselves at it I can't see why players and Directors wouldn't

If we're pissing ourselves at it I can't see why players and Directors wouldn't

I'd contend that we all use phrases at work that, when taken out of immediate context, sound absolutely ridiculous.

It's not meant to be a fine work of prose, it's a catchy snippet that is supposed to be easily remembered and referred to.

No matter how hilarious you may find it, we all had at least a decent idea of what it meant.

I was genuinely convinced it was knocked up Day Today-esque parody. I love how individual brilliance is listed - so simple, why the hell has no one thought of that before?!?!

It looks a bit like a digital version of that ridiculous signpost thing that Alan Partridge was trying to use to illustrate the distance between venues at USA '94.

It looks a bit like a digital version of that ridiculous signpost thing that Alan Partridge was trying to use to illustrate the distance between venues at USA '94.

I'm just gutted there was nothing on Financials in this masterpiece, as he'd surely bring out The Currency Cat.

I'd contend that we all use phrases at work that, when taken out of immediate context, sound absolutely ridiculous.

I'd completely disagree. As soon as anyone starts spouting nonsense about reaching out or similar, I'm off (mentally if not always physically)

I imagine the financials would start out as a medium Susan and then be a younger, popular, more attractive Susan by the end of year 1.

Chris.

'When questioned about the budget for the season, Johnson replied that he didn't like it, but he'd have to go along with it. Rumours are the budget was slashed by trenter percenter'

Edited by cheshire_latic

I'd completely disagree. As soon as anyone starts spouting nonsense about reaching out or similar, I'm off (mentally if not always physically)

Not management speak - though Johnson does have a tendency to stray into that area - but just industry-specific jargon. And that's all this is.