Doncaster Rovers vs Oldham Athletic

Away from thread after thread of negativity, can we perhaps try and put some positivity into the upcoming game on Saturday?

Yes, the whole Kelly appointment was ridiculous. Yes, the way he was sacked was shambolic (and a touch sly). Yes, Dunn is another inexperienced man in charge, however I think we would have been less pissed off had Dunn stepped into the managerial position at the start of the season instead of Kelly. I think it’s just a culmination of disappointment upon disappointment which has led to the negative views on Dunn taking over.

Let’s ignore the previous :censored: now. Kelly has gone and we have a new guy in charge for the immediate future. Someone who, you would think (and hope), only knows attacking football, which is all we Latics fans ever want to see.

My preference is for Dunn to sit this one out and watch from the bench. Maybe it’s just me, but I’m not keen on player-managers. I’d rather he just did his job from the sideline.

As for the starting XI, I’d ring some changes. Coleman was very shaky on Saturday so I’d look to give Cornell a go. Brown was absolutely terrible so I’d opt for O’Connell out wide. O’Connell may not be a natural RB, but he’s a lot quicker than I expected so I have no reservations of him playing there. Burn back into CB. Croft back in. Poleon to start.

I think he will go 442, perhaps putting Poleon & Murphy up front. I’d be tempted to go 352 though…

Cornell

O’Connell – Wilson – Burn

Croft – Jones – Winchester – Mills

Green

Poleon – Murphy

Prediction: Doncaster 1-2 Latics

Attendance: God knows.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not negative about Dunn taking charge. It is just that the club manages to taint everything they do.

Dunn to start with three at the back and Brown and Mills in the reserves (I know we don't have any but that is where they both deserve to be after Saturday). So

Coleman (or Cornell)

O'Connell - Wilson - Burn

Philliskirk - Dieng

Croft - Dunn - Yeates

Stan - Murphy

Away from thread after thread of negativity, can we perhaps try and put some positivity into the upcoming game on Saturday?

Yes, the whole Kelly appointment was ridiculous. Yes, the way he was sacked was shambolic (and a touch sly). Yes, Dunn is another inexperienced man in charge, however I think we would have been less pissed off had Dunn stepped into the managerial position at the start of the season instead of Kelly. I think it’s just a culmination of disappointment upon disappointment which has led to the negative views on Dunn taking over.

Let’s ignore the previous :censored: now. Kelly has gone and we have a new guy in charge for the immediate future. Someone who, you would think (and hope), only knows attacking football, which is all we Latics fans ever want to see.

My preference is for Dunn to sit this one out and watch from the bench. Maybe it’s just me, but I’m not keen on player-managers. I’d rather he just did his job from the sideline.

As for the starting XI, I’d ring some changes. Coleman was very shaky on Saturday so I’d look to give Cornell a go. Brown was absolutely terrible so I’d opt for O’Connell out wide. O’Connell may not be a natural RB, but he’s a lot quicker than I expected so I have no reservations of him playing there. Burn back into CB. Croft back in. Poleon to start.

I think he will go 442, perhaps putting Poleon & Murphy up front. I’d be tempted to go 352 though…

Cornell

O’Connell – Wilson – Burn

Croft – Jones – Winchester – Mills

Green

Poleon – Murphy

No Dunn or Yeats?

I'm being positive about Saturday because I'm not going, be interesting to see how Dunn manages the team on the pitch, he better hope they want to play for him because under our last three managers plenty of them have jacked it in.

In that case he ought to move those disinterested players on asap.

I'm not sure about dropping Coleman. Could be a massive knock to his confidence. A talking to and arm round shoulder could sort it out. He's only a kid and one bad game shouldn't sideline him. Not disputing he was shaky but has been one of our best since he came in

I don't want Dunn playing, different perspective playing plus you are essentially focusing on your own performance at times rather than focusing on the teams performance, tactics etc

Made the mistake of buying tickets for this last week as I probably wouldn't bother as bad as that sounds...

Might as well go now though and see what kind of circus act we look like this week.

Still not over Mike Jones being on the bench on Saturday

He's got to drop that Celtic lad, I mean Im all for giving players a chance normally but I wondered what was going through his head at times.

Burn to come back in 100%.

Murphy to keep his place for me, class finish for his goal and worked his bollocks off all game (took a bit to get going but least he kept going)

Yes, the whole Kelly appointment was ridiculous. Yes, the way he was sacked was shambolic (and a touch sly). Yes, Dunn is another inexperienced man in charge, however I think we would have been less pissed off had Dunn stepped into the managerial position at the start of the season instead of Kelly. I think its just a culmination of disappointment upon disappointment which has led to the negative views on Dunn taking over.

Lets ignore the previous :censored: now. Kelly has gone and we have a new guy in charge for the immediate future. Someone who, you would think (and hope), only knows attacking football, which is all we Latics fans ever want to see.

My preference is for Dunn to sit this one out and watch from the bench. Maybe its just me, but Im not keen on player-managers. Id rather he just did his job from the sideline.

As for the starting XI, Id ring some changes. Coleman was very shaky on Saturday so Id look to give Cornell a go. Brown was absolutely terrible so Id opt for OConnell out wide. OConnell may not be a natural RB, but hes a lot quicker than I expected so I have no reservations of him playing there. Burn back into CB. Croft back in. Poleon to start.

I think he will go 442, perhaps putting Poleon & Murphy up front. Id be tempted to go 352 though

Cornell

OConnell Wilson Burn

Croft Jones Winchester Mills

Green

Poleon Murphy

Busy again I see!

Maybe Kelly (Liam!) will be back - I'm sure DK said he was two weeks away over a week ago.....???

I don't think we'll see too much change & he's practically said in his interview the aim will be to grind out results first & foremost to steady the ship.

Which says 4-5-1 to me.....

Unless it's "mind games" .....

I think we'll see a familiar lineup albeit drilled a bit better..

Dropping Coleman for example would be a massive blow to his confidence whereas keeping him in would boost it and make him more likely to pull his tripe out for Dunn going forward...

Brown on the other hand... :omg:

I think Croft might be back in if fit as they seem pally on Twitter (for what that's worth).

Whether or not he starts himself is the big question - it'd be a strange decision to drop your best player for your first game :grin:

I think he should, and will, start himself.

Coleman

Dieng

Wilson

Burn

Mills

Croft

Winchester

Jones

Dunn

Yeates

Murphy

Hopefully there'll be a quality new striker in to start ahead of, or alongside, Murphy though....

I doubt he will pick himself but it wouldn't surprise me if we see a new face up front with Forte still banned. If not then I think he'll give Philliskirk the chance alongside Poleon;

Coleman

Dieng

Wilson

Burn

Mills

Croft

Winchester

Jones

Yeates

Poleon

New striker / Philliskirk

See a 4-4-2 when defending but with Poleon allowed to go wide on attack so we adopt a 4-5-1 to pack midfield, give a lot of width and create chances in and around their box.

Why no Murphy?

I was toying with Murphy and it could well be him instead of Danny but I just have a feeling that if we don't bring in a new face then you might see Danny alongside Poleon instead.

Up front is where I'm uncertain because Stan might play but I doubt it.

With Poleon out of favour under Kelly then if I was Dunn I would put my arm around the lad and tell him that's he's our club's number 9 because he has the pace and ability to be our leading scorer. Fresh start, a clean slate and bury the history with a brace or more on Saturday.

Don't think he'll drop Philly - he wasn't that bad on Saturday.

Fully expect Croft to play if we're looking at grinding out results.

Was vocal with Winchester on Saturday. Don't know if that's because he expects more or because he thought he is one of our key players. Gives us impetus anyway.

Murphy has to start, hopefully not as an isolated striker though. Stank didn't look interested.

Can't see him playing himself

Yeates was horrific on Saturday, as was the whole defence. Surely O'Connell won't play - he's looked dog:censored: to me. Hopefully Brown won't play and please drop Mills, even if it means we have to play Truelove.

Oh yeah, PLAY MIKE JONES

Edited by NewBlue