This division is killing us

I think it is the stagnation plus the revolving door policy of the current ownership. If relegation meant a change of direction, and we actually tried to put a plan in place in terms of manager and playing personnel I wouldn't be against it, or maybe something even bolder. Try and bring through more of our own players. I could definitely get behind that at whatever level we played at.

What do people really want from a football club? I think too many people concentrate on success these days. I'd rather have a club that gets involved with the local community wherever possible and has a system in place to develop its own players that the fans can develop an affinity with.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is really isn't it? We've been in it for far too long. Its stale. Fans have left us in droves since we dropped in, both loyal and fleeting.

Relegation, for me, would 'revitalise' us in two ways. The board decide to mount a promotion charge bringing something positive to get behind or we continue to cloth-cut and end up in non league where EVERY weekend is like FA Cup first round day.

Maybe it's like cutting off your head to cure toothache but basically we need a new head anyway.

FMS, I'm very often on your wavelength but not on this occasion. I just can't get my head around the suggestion that relegation would turn out to be a good thing. The teams that have tended to bounce back are far more forward thinking than Latics. Do you really think this Board would have any idea how to mount a promotion charge?

It would make us less attractive to any potential investors or sponsors.

If we go down, I can only see us staying there.

Agree if we went down we would cut our cloth accordingly, I can see it now in the press Corney telling us we have one of the smallest budgets in the division because less than 2000 fans are turning up, blaming the clubs plight on the stayaways and blaming every man and his dog for our situation other than himself.

You really do have to question this mans judgement,

Appointing Kelly - hanging him out to dry

Appointing Dunn as interim - worst kept secret

Appointing Dunn as permanent - on the back of what?

We are now stuck with a man who is out of his depth in the same way Holden and Kelly were.

This is what’s bugging me

Kelly had to go, fine

Appoint Dunn as interim manager, I’m fine with that

Appoint Dunn permanently....why? based on what, he had achieved zilch and still hasnt

I happy to give him time but I’m not sure why the interim thing actually happened

Edited by palmer1

FMS, I'm very often on your wavelength but not on this occasion. I just can't get my head around the suggestion that relegation would turn out to be a good thing. The teams that have tended to bounce back are far more forward thinking than Latics. Do you really think this Board would have any idea how to mount a promotion charge?

It would make us less attractive to any potential investors or sponsors.

If we go down, I can only see us staying there.

Being realistic, I can too. But would it be any different than now, or the last five years? Perhaps relegation may prompt a complete change of hierarchy? At the very least people on the board would have to accept any responsibility for the bad decisions taken which resulted in relegation?

I think my viewpoint has slowly changed over the last 2 years or so. It's got to the point when I've forgotten what it's like to expect to win at home. I've forgotten what it's like to come back from going a goal down. I've forgotten what it's like to enjoy going to home matches.

Experiencing the new stand on Saturday was nice but the whole project looks to have been managed pretty terribly. It's crushingly behind schedule and of course external parties me be responsible for that but it's still pretty pathetic. This doesn't have that much to do with our current predicament but it just felt massively ironic sat in there and watching the same old :censored: (from a slightly improved vantage point). With better legroom.

I'm not scared of death any more. I'm not scared if we go down and Simon Corney thinks ':censored: it' (does he really put a lot of his own money in any more?). I'm not scared if his mate decides to call in his debt causing the break-up of the club seeing us become the next Darlington. We're down to the hardest of the hardcore who'd watch us play on Clayton playing fields if it came down to it.

I don't have faith in the ability of the current regime to rebuild if we went down. Their track record of :censored:-ups suggests as much. But I don't see that as a bad thing. Stagnating in this division has done us no good whatsoever. What IS the solution?

Going down and coming straight back up could well revitalise us and we would get more home fans in if winning, goalscoring title chasing football was on offer but......

This is us, that wouldn't happen.

Going down would more likely turn out to be disastrous...

A squad of losers would still largely be losers a league below....

Edited by HarryBosch

I've never been this bored of being a Latics fan.

I'm not a season ticket holder any more, but pay on the day for 70% of home games.

It's safe to say I won't be bothering driving to the BP, spending £22 most weeks unless the product on the pitch improves

I'd say there's a good few hundred in the same boat as me that could soon make the same decision to stop turning up.

back in 1997 I sat despondent on the coach home from Reading, knowing relegation to the third tier was

more or less confirmed.

I then consoled myself that after 3 :censored:e seasons we'd be playing at a lower level but this meant that we'd

start winning again, challenging for promotion and getting back the fans that were fleeing back down the A62.

18 years later, here we are.

Relegation with the currrent financial set up, I just see cloth cutting, further freefall and sub 2,000 gates.

As for attracting fans back in 2015, some of those I used to go with - or know went - are six feet under, it'd take an

amazing special ticket deal and brazil-like football to attract them back !!!

back in 1997 I sat despondent on the coach home from Reading, knowing relegation to the third tier was

more or less confirmed.

I then consoled myself that after 3 :censored:e seasons we'd be playing at a lower level but this meant that we'd

start winning again, challenging for promotion and getting back the fans that were fleeing back down the A62.

Relegation with the currrent financial set up, I just see cloth cutting, further freefall and sub 2,000 gates.

As for attracting fans back in 2015, some of those I used to go with - or know went - are six feet under, it'd take an

Of the dozen or so I used to attend with in the 90's, I'm the last one standing. A couple have pegged it a couple are now ST holders at the Empthihad and of the other half dozen or so they wont even bother if I offer to pay them in, they have all found something else to do and don't miss the heartache one bit, I wish I was stronger!!

Of the dozen or so I used to attend with in the 90's, I'm the last one standing. A couple have pegged it a couple are now ST holders at the Empthihad and of the other half dozen or so they wont even bother if I offer to pay them in, they have all found something else to do and don't miss the heartache one bit, I wish I was stronger!!

I've offered to pay for my brother to go in, but he says "'maybe when you have a team worth watching".

more or less confirmed.

I could have written this myself.

Of the dozen or so I used to attend with in the 90's, I'm the last one standing. A couple have pegged it a couple are now ST holders at the Empthihad and of the other half dozen or so they wont even bother if I offer to pay them in, they have all found something else to do and don't miss the heartache one bit.

This too.

Where to start – a bloodless coup, ousting the board and not attracting investment will do. Not a single buyer nominated and total disregard for the circa £4,000,000 investment in the income generating potential of the new stand.

Relegation is the way forward – at ‘who’s risk’ is my first thought, not the person who ‘thinks it’ is my second thought. Has the number of clubs (the vast majority of the 44) who have been relegated in the last 11yrs some having gone even lower been noticed? The few who have recovered and bounced back beyond L1 will, in virtually all cases have been due to exceptional private investment, and good luck to their fans. Many of the rest are rattling around in the Conference or lower. The odds of an easy recovery are slim and that’s why Corney sacks managers if he smells danger. It is easy to understand supporters anguish and yearning for success but the fact is there is no mention by these fans of funding or a three year financial projection.

We are not stagnating, we are working to a budget. I have been there twice when applying for re-election to Division4 (that's avoiding the Conference in old money) and seeing us in the Premiership. While we are undoubtedly playing poorly we are pretty much at our level in league status. The few clubs our size who gain a modicum of success get lucky with someone gifting them cash or stumbling onto a talented manager. We get unlucky along with the rest.

However much money club chairmen put into a club only three will be promoted and four poor sods will be relegated. Promotion is excruciatingly difficult and investment is not guaranteed to achieve it. Traditionally big clubs with double or treble our support will always be favourites. The combination of Joe Royle, Ian Scott, and a group exceptionally talented players is hardly likely to be repeated. We have only been relegated twice in around 40yrs, one of those from the Premier League. That's not a bad record. While I am not happy with the dire home performances of the last 4yrs I cannot see anyone seeing us (or any club our size) as a club worth investing in. If someone does I will count ourselves lucky but only but only for a trial period. Having said that it’s common knowledge Corney want’s out and just maybe the new stand is the prelude/condition for someone to come in.

If our performances are to improve it is more likely to be manager led not the unlikely scenario of a stranger throwing non-refundable cash at us. In that respect we are well overdue a break.

Edited by mikeroyboy

The last time we were relegated from this division was 68/9. Now that was a truly miserable season - beats anything now into a cocked hat

By this time in the season we had played 17 league matches. Won 1 Drew 3 Lost 13

Despite rallying In second half of season we finished rock bottom with 35 pts - that would be 48pts under present system

Has the number of clubs (the vast majority of the 44) who have been relegated in the last 11yrs some having gone even lower been noticed? The few who have recovered and bounced back beyond L1 will, in virtually all cases have been due to exceptional private investment, and good luck to their fans. Many of the rest are rattling around in the Conference or lower.

I'm not sure that stands up. In the last 11 years, 38 unique clubs have been relegated (obv some more than once).

Of these, 1 is now in the prem (Bournemouth), 3 are in the championship (Rotherham, Brentford, MK Dons). 4 are in the conference (Tranmere, Cheltenham, Torquay, Wrexham), and 2 are lower (Stockport, Hereford).

15 of the clubs currently in L2 are one of the 38 - but this includes many who have been up and down over the years, Hartlepool, Northampton, Stevenage, and some who've also been in the champtionship recently - Notts Co, Yeovil.

The remaining 13 are currently back in L1, and this includes teams like Peterborough, who dropped down to L2, went back up to L1, then to the championship, and who are now back down in L1.

Tranmere lost to Dover today. I don't know if a relegation would revitalise us. We might find out soon.

If it did happen I imagine it will be another opportunity to remind us that expectations have to be realistic.

Hahahahah :censored:inell, I forgot Tranmere were non league!!!???

I'm not sure that stands up. In the last 11 years, 38 unique clubs have been relegated (obv some more than once).

Of these, 1 is now in the prem (Bournemouth), 3 are in the championship (Rotherham, Brentford, MK Dons). 4 are in the conference (Tranmere, Cheltenham, Torquay, Wrexham), and 2 are lower (Stockport, Hereford).

15 of the clubs currently in L2 are one of the 38 - but this includes many who have been up and down over the years, Hartlepool, Northampton, Stevenage, and some who've also been in the champtionship recently - Notts Co, Yeovil.

The remaining 13 are currently back in L1, and this includes teams like Peterborough, who dropped down to L2, went back up to L1, then to the championship, and who are now back down in L1.

You may not be sure my observations stand up but your excellent research has confirmed that being relegated is an outstandingly reckless gamble in the hope of moving forward. Which is of course is the theme of this thread.

Don't agree that going down is something to 'aim for' but I know what people mean

We are stale, old tin, pot club who have been over taken by the likes of Burton and Fleetwood. I even think some of the die hards are board of it all. Corney certainly is.

If we go down we end up like the bin dippers or Stockport with every chance that we start having to play Curzon ashton or Hyde in derbies.

Edited by bluehobbit

You may not be sure my observations stand up but your excellent research has confirmed that being relegated is an outstandingly reckless gamble in the hope of moving forward. Which is of course is the theme of this thread.

Wasn't the appointment of Kelly a reckless gamble?