Open Trial for under 16s

If I remember correctly isn't this how we signed Andy Barlow?

Always said we should be doing more of this. There are some real gems out there who don't necessarily play regular football for the usual teams on the scouting map,

I'm the first and biggest critic of the club at the moment but it's good to hear some good news for once.

If I may?

I don't think that"that" is actually a syntactical requirement of an indirect statement construction. Eg the removal of the first "that" from the sentence preceding this one would not change its meaning.

You may now of course wish to substitute the " h" of that with a different consonant to provide a retort :)

I don't think that"that" is actually a syntactical requirement of an indirect statement construction. Eg the removal of the first "that" from the sentence preceding this one would not change its meaning.

You may now of course wish to substitute the " h" of that with a different consonant to provide a retort :)

Just what this forum was missing, a wordsmith.

Could this mean Dunn, or Philliskirk, has had a look at what we've got coming through and thought there's not enough there to work with?

Or maybe something Dunn has always seen happen at Blackburn and now wants to happen here?

The Lancashire & Yorkshire bit seems odd - why not Cheshire & Greater Manchester too?

Glossop is only 12 miles away and is in Derbyshire.....

I am glad to see they are asking for details of height weight and position before they can come.....we wouldn't want any 6 foot 3 inch strikers turning up would we?

Actually I do believe it is to try and unearth said players.

We've a strikers graveyard to maintain you know....

GIven the way football works these days I can't imagine there are many potentially useful 16year olds who are not already attached to a club. Still, hope springs and all that.

Another of English footballs many problems maybe?

If you don't get into the "system" early you never get in.....

I was :censored:e until I was about 13 and then I was quite good....

(I'm :censored:e again now)

you was :censored:e on remploy, you couldn't even score past archie gemmil !!!

Maybe but I'd have thought these sort of events would be better aimed at the 18/19 year olds who haven't been taken on. Trying to remember the current international who came through Hoddle's rejects academy in Spain.

Struck me the other day that over the last few years I think I have seen the same number of players come through my local (conf South) non-league team and on to play in the Premiership than I have seen go through Latics (not loanees). Sort of suggests that there are plenty of young players at that sort of level who woudl still have a chance before they get into the decent paying job and commitments stage of life that prevents many who are certainly good enough from having another go at league football.

Players would have been Eardley and Tierney from Latics and Gayle & Morison from Bishop's Stortford. Have I missed any Latics?

Maybe but I'd have thought these sort of events would be better aimed at the 18/19 year olds who haven't been taken on. Trying to remember the current international who came through Hoddle's rejects academy in Spain.

Struck me the other day that over the last few years I think I have seen the same number of players come through my local (conf South) non-league team and on to play in the Premiership than I have seen go through Latics (not loanees). Sort of suggests that there are plenty of young players at that sort of level who woudl still have a chance before they get into the decent paying job and commitments stage of life that prevents many who are certainly good enough from having another go at league football.

Players would have been Eardley and Tierney from Latics and Gayle & Morison from Bishop's Stortford. Have I missed any Latics?

Wasn't Chris Taylor with Springhead before joining the youths here?

Undoubtedly something in what you say Harry and I would add another dimension to the limitations of this early identification and selection system. I have significant example evidence that parents of academically able lads and the lads themselves are reluctant to give up at age16 the university to profession route in favour of becoming a full time football scholar. They rightly assess that there is far far more chance of becoming a doctor or dentist than a footballer .

The outcome from this is that many / most footballers ( not all by any means) tend to come from a certain and similar demographic and football in England restricts it's catchment field. It also means there are very good footballers out there aged 18 to 25.

The same does not apply in many European countries which often means that in post match interviews the Croatian or German centre half can present a more coherent assessment in English than can the English players who follow their inability to string more than 3 passes together with a similar inability with words.

A bit harsh I know but...