Sarcastic Negative Fans!

Lol he does have a point tbf but 'its not 20 yrs ago, the club has changed'

I feel the need to point out to Mr Dunn that 20 yrs ago we were in exactly the same :censored:ing position and nothing has changed!

Sarcastic chanting prompts manager to hit out at fans’ expectation levels
DAVID Dunn launched an impassioned and forthright plea for unity after sarcastic chantzing in the away end at Chesterfiled riled the Athletic manager.

When a goal down at the Proact Stadium, Carl Winchester’s effort on target in the 65th minute drew a chant of “Oldham’s had a shot” from the visiting supporters.

And there was also a rendition of “let’s pretend we scored a goal”, which came before an equaliser from Dominic Poleon that ended an attacking drought that had lasted for more than five-and-a-half hours.

Dunn’s side went on to win thanks to a goal credited to Danny Philliskirk, maintaining an unbeaten run away from home in Sky Bet League One this season.

But in post-match interviews, the 35-year-old Dunn detailed at length his feelings on negative attitudes directed at the club from within.

And he made it clear his belief that the amount of hard work being put in behind the scenes deserves more credit.

“The feeling around the club at times is a little bit negative, as I have said before,” said Dunn, whose side now sit 18th in the League One table ahead of a run of three straight home fixtures.

“I thought with the away fans, though they were very noisy, there was an element of sarcasm in the stuff they were coming out with which is a little bit disappointing.

“This is the start of a new beginning and we want to go on and create something that lasts.

“We are not in 1992 now, when Oldham were in the Premier League. The club has changed and it isn’t the same place as it was 20-odd years ago.

“From what I gather, it took Joe Royle eight years to change it round. I fancy myself doing it a bit quicker.

“I can’t fault them (the fans) — they come away and at home they turn up every week. And I am sure there hasn’t been much to cheer about in recent weeks.

“But I think we need to pull together now. It is an important time for us and a new beginning for a young manager and young coaches. We are really enthusiastic about the club and we want to do well.

“It might be a minority out there who play on their computers, who may win a couple of leagues on there and think that this is easy-peasy. I can assure you it is not.

“I hate to mention budgets, but we are coming across clubs who have three, four, up to 10 times our budget. It does matter.

“We are batting way above what we should do at times. Where have we finished in the last couple of years, 15th? So why is the expectation we should be winning the league every year? I don’t get it.

“We need to all stick together as a club. One thing is for sure, we are working our socks off every day and I wish people could really see that.

Edited by palmer1

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dunn is correct in what he says about a negative atmosphere, and it's certainly true it's a factor in the way the club is these days. But what he needs to realise is that the rest of us have been around for the last 20 years to watch the :censored:e that's been served up for long periods of that time.

For me it quite simple: if he turns a team out that gives 100% effort, tries to attack the opposition and generates a bit of excitement which some attempts at goal, and don't settle for a point even before a ball has been kicked he'll have one of the most vociferous loyal groups of supporters in the league. All we want is a bit of entertainment and a few goals, we realise that we are not going to win every week, but let's at least give it a go!

I'm 24 so all I've ever seen is :censored:. At least some of the older fans got to see a bit of the glory years. My old faves are David Eyre, John Sheridan, Michael Clegg, Clint Hill and Fitz Hall. They were the players I watched as a younger kid.

I've never seen your Holdens, Ritchie and Barretts play. I think to say I still go nearly every Saturday (not with a season ticket aswell mind) is a goddamn miracle Mr Dunn. The closest I've come to seing success is getting beat by QPR in the play off semi finals, in a year which is still say now thay if Clint Hill wouldn't have broken his leg we'd have gone up automatically that year

Edited by TheBlueNoodle

I get his frustrations, but if he doesn't want the fans to be negative, then he needs to do the same.

....it's not an unfair comment.... but we were much better in the 2nd half on Saturday..... and maybe [especially at home] they might feel more confident taking risks and expressing themselves, if they weren't fearful of the moans and groans when a forward pass or shot goes astray...?

Edited by lookersstandandy

I'm 24 so all I've ever seen is :censored:. At least some of the older fans got to see a bit of the glory years. My old faves are David Eyre, John Sheridan, Michael Clegg, Clint Hill and Fitz Hall. They were the players I watched as a younger kid.

I've never seen your Holdens, Ritchie and Barretts play. I think to say I still go nearly every Saturday (not with a season ticket aswell mind) is a goddamn miracle Mr Dunn. The closest I've come to seing success is getting beat by QPR in the play off semi finals, in a year which is still say now thay if Clint Hill wouldn't have broken his leg we'd have gone up automatically that year

I do feel for some of our younger fans in that respect.... but i'd still rather not be one of the legions of glory hunters, borrowing others success in a feeble attempt to project some onto myself. Supporting Latics requires substance.

Edited by lookersstandandy

Michael Clegg! Michael F*c&ing Clegg!!!!!!!!!!!

He should not be anywhere near the others on that list

Onto the main topic

I haven't seen anyone on here say they expect to win the league, I havent heard it in the stands has anyone on the Oldham Chronicle or on on oafc.co.uk been saying this who has? Where people are abit miffed is that we have the 23rd best home record in the league Shrewsbury came away with a point Scunthorpe came away with 3 points can we not compete with these sides at home? Bradford beat us and Peterborough mullered us both clubs have bigger budgets than us but it doesnt mean we role over and die when we play against them. Should we have rolled over and died when we played Liverpool 2 years ago a team that contained Suarez, Sturridge, Sterling Henderson and Gerrard?

I appreciate that over the course of the season that the teams with bigger budgets are going to be harder to compete against but on an individual game we should be able to give any side in this division a game certainly at home they shouldn't look forward to coming here especially in winter. I don't think fans expectations are really much of a problem, most would see a top half finish as progress.

I appreciate that Dunn and Corney haven't aimed these public statements at the likes of me I don't get on the players backs at the games their are one or 2 I have doubts about but once they pull on the blue shirt I back them so that if we lose/perform badly I walk away with a clear conscious If I've backed the players during the game then I've done my bit as a fan if I do that and we lose then its down to the team not me. But what we can dress it up how we want this season so far has been a disappointment. We can still turn it round we have 2/3 of the season left to play, more wins will do that 2 home games coming up no reason why we can't win both and if we do come 4:55pm on Saturday the world could look a much rosier place.

....it's not an unfair comment.... but we were much better in the 2nd half on Saturday..... and maybe [especially at home] they might feel more confident taking risks and expressing themselves, if they weren't fearful of the moans and groans when a forward pass or shot goes astray...?

Dunn needs to realise a second half does not a season make....

Michael Clegg!? seriously?

This guy is living in a dream world, it's almost as if he's just walked in to football.

Before Saturday we'd won two games this season, hadn't scored for 5 and a half hours and hadn't had a shot in the first hour, what does he expect?

One win and he's on his high horse thinking he can take digs at the fans, he's done absolutely nothing so far to earn our respect as a manager, this just serves to piss people off more.

Get on with your job and win more games and the atmosphere will improve as a result, instead of deflecting it on to us as usual.

Edited by dec666

This guy is living in a dream world, it's almost as if he's just walked in to football.

Before Saturday we'd won two games this season, hadn't scored for 5 and a half hours and hadn't had a shot in the first hour, what does he expect?

One win and he's on his high horse thinking he can take digs at the fans, he's done absolutely nothing so far to earn our respect as a manager, this just serves to piss people off more.

Get on with your job and win more games and the atmosphere will improve as a result, instead of deflecting it on to us as usual.

100% agree.

If I could upboat Dunn, I would. However, we need humour from our supporters to get us through. We need to take the piss out of ourselves much more than we do.

Saturday is different though. Let Little Johnson have both barrels

Weren't the people Dunn's having a go at doing exactly what you suggest we need to do - taking the piss out of ourselves? Yet, you want to upboat him? I'm confused.

Personally, I think he's being a bit of a dick.

It is your right, yes.

It's also his right to say it is daft and counter productive.

Indeed

Some of our "fans" seem to believe it's ok to give out stick but object to receiving criticism of their actions

All of us - (?) - want to see a successful positive team . Some of us believe that it might not happen in the first couple of months of a manager being in place and that it's unhelpful to find the downside of nearly everything .

All the fans frustrations I believe are directed at the business side of the club. Ie the board and the new stand.

For all dunns negativity in playing for a point he is right in what he says that he needs time. However some of those comments will most certainly be taken the wrong way by some and could prove to haunt him

Given the dire pile of :censored: we've endured, being negaive and sarcastic is a survival strategy.

Perhaps we should sit quietly and politiely, paying our £22 and accepting the total ineptness, year after year. he has to understand why people feel so sarcastic. it's because of the ming bogglong :censored: served up.

Do your job, entertain and excite us, then we'll stop being so negative. Gallows humour is a result of Dunn's crap brand of football. We don't pay to watch total crap.

You, Mr. Dunn should do your :censored:ing job and stop deflecting it onto the long suffering supporters. You are a dick who has just gone down in my estimation.

Given the dire pile of :censored: we've endured, being negaive and sarcastic is a survival strategy.

Perhaps we should sit quietly and politiely, paying our £22 and accepting the total ineptness, year after year. he has to understand why people feel so sarcastic. it's because of the ming bogglong :censored: served up.

Do your job, entertain and excite us, then we'll stop being so negative. Gallows humour is a result of Dunn's crap brand of football. We don't pay to watch total crap.

You, Mr. Dunn should do your :censored:ing job and stop deflecting it onto the long suffering supporters. You are a dick who has just gone down in my estimation.

What a load of nonsense.

Why should those diehards, many of whom made a similar trip to Nottinghamshire the week before to watch totally uninspiring football not be able to have a laugh about the fact it took 65 minutes to have a shot?

If you were embarrassed by it or upset maybe you should have a go at watching it as a fan who pays for the privilege of being entertained by your brand of football.

If nothing else the crowds sarcasm probably prompted you to stick on a couple of players capable of changing a game, as I've said previously don't bite off hand that feeds you, I personally feel you have been given a pretty fair reception off the Latics faithful behaving like a cock in the local press will do you little favours.