Ritchie Wellens

What's the score with Fuller - has he not been officially binned off yet?

Burn - not been mentioned for weeks

The lad from Celtic?

They can't all still be on the books.

Fuller's deal finishes on 16th Jan.

Burn no idea. He is just back training according to his twitter, though who with, who knows. But he is basically recovering from injury.

O'Connel no idea either

Edited by singe

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Ricardo Fuller could be up there with Lord Kangana as worst signing we've ever made

Not even close.

Dabo? Abalimba? Budtz? Plenty worse.

Fuller is more akin to Ricketts in that he singularly failed to live up to past glories.

At least Ricketts scored a goal lol

More than Warren Feeney did, who must be right up there!

I can't believe David Dunce compared the Poleon/Higdon strike partnership to Shearer/Sutton. However, it was showing signs of promise and then he dumped it in favour of trying to accomodate Fuller and tighten up midfield.

I also remember a club comment declaring that we had the best midfield in League One.

And Dunce said this beauty, about having the best two goalkeepers in League One. Why on earth are we not top of the league!!

"Dunn is delighted to have a pair of exceptional keepers at his disposal as he gears up for a tough October schedule. The Athletic boss added: “We’ve probably got the best two goalkeepers in the division.”

(From the Chron in October)

I can't believe David Dunce compared the Poleon/Higdon strike partnership to Shearer/Sutton. However, it was showing signs of promise and then he dumped it in favour of trying to accomodate Fuller and tighten up midfield.

Another bull:censored: stick Dunn gets beat with. It was broken up because Higdon was ineligible against Sheff Utd. The next game away at Swindon, he could have put them back together but he chose to play Winchester in behind Higdon instead. Strange at the time but actually worked brilliantly and he got his first win. So he kept the same team against Rochdale. Not so good. Higdon then wasn't available vs Burton. Then he played Higdon, Poleon and Fuller against Mansfield and played Poleon and Higdon together at Chesterfield - where we only played well once Higdon went off.

But yeah, other than that, you're bang on the money about Dunn :censored:ing up that partnership.

Another bull:censored: stick Dunn gets beat with. It was broken up because Higdon was ineligible against Sheff Utd. The next game away at Swindon, he could have put them back together but he chose to play Winchester in behind Higdon instead. Strange at the time but actually worked brilliantly and he got his first win. So he kept the same team against Rochdale. Not so good. Higdon then wasn't available vs Burton. Then he played Higdon, Poleon and Fuller against Mansfield and played Poleon and Higdon together at Chesterfield - where we only played well once Higdon went off.

But yeah, other than that, you're bang on the money about Dunn :censored:ing up that partnership.

Of course Dunn was instrumental in breaking up that partnership. It's just symptomatic of our stuttery season - unable to get any rhythm, consistency, flow or understanding. I think we would benefit from a decisive manager picking and sticking to a team or formation. All of the chopping and changing has just led to unhappy, unsettled players.

Take your point about the timing of Higdon unable to play against Sheff Utd and the subsequent Swindon victory.

But since then, we only played Poleon & Higdon as a pairing twice (won 2, lost 1, both players scoring twice each)

Dunn fiddled around with 1 upfront, Poleon on the wing, Fuller/Higdon partnership, Poleon on his own upfront.

I know we're near the bottom but how many players can say they feel like a needed and valuable part of the team this season;

A big loss, Wellens. However on the plus side, surely we're going to reignite the Jones-Kelly partnership finally. Only been 6 months...

Were they ever a partnership? I remember our diamond of Kelly, Winchester Jones, Philliskirk/Johnson, but don't remember there being many occasions of Jones and Kelly being our middle two...

He never said Dunn would be gone. He said we were keen on Carsley, which may have been true for all we know.

This bloke is very reliable.

A big loss, Wellens. However on the plus side, surely we're going to reignite the Jones-Kelly partnership finally. Only been 6 months...

He patently isn't.

Were they ever a partnership? I remember our diamond of Kelly, Winchester Jones, Philliskirk/Johnson, but don't remember there being many occasions of Jones and Kelly being our middle two...

True. I'm hoping to see the diamond returning tomorrow with the Irish Sopranos at its head, but fear we're more likely to see Cassidy play...

He patently isn't.

Patently? How on earth have you come up with that one, given you can't prove anything he says on the topic of Oldham wrong?

True. I'm hoping to see the diamond returning tomorrow with the Irish Sopranos at its head, but fear we're more likely to see Cassidy play...

Patently? How on earth have you come up with that one, given you can't prove anything he says on the topic of Oldham wrong?

Er hang on.

This is from the journo that said Dunn would be gone by now. Or didn't.

And had to be told that Wellens was a free agent.

Proof right there.

Of course Dunn was instrumental in breaking up that partnership. It's just symptomatic of our stuttery season - unable to get any rhythm, consistency, flow or understanding. I think we would benefit from a decisive manager picking and sticking to a team or formation. All of the chopping and changing has just led to unhappy, unsettled players.

Take your point about the timing of Higdon unable to play against Sheff Utd and the subsequent Swindon victory.

But since then, we only played Poleon & Higdon as a pairing twice (won 2, lost 1, both players scoring twice each)

Dunn fiddled around with 1 upfront, Poleon on the wing, Fuller/Higdon partnership, Poleon on his own upfront.

I know we're near the bottom but how many players can say they feel like a needed and valuable part of the team this season;

With the bit I've put in bold, just checked and the 2 wins you're talking about I think are Chesterfield and Mansfield where our goals in both games came after Higdon was subbed for Rasulo. Of the 4 goals between them you talk about only Higdon's first against Southend came when they were both on the pitch together.

When you actually look at the teams Dunn has selected, generally speaking when they play well he sticks with the same team. Or when he makes subs and they finish the game well, then he starts the next game with the team that finishes the previous game. He doesn't actually often make a random change just for the sake of it. There have also been too many players ineligble because of loan conditions or being cup-tied.

That's what's so incredibly frustrating about our squad. They play well one game, or finish it strongly, then are utter dog:censored: at the start of the next. So the subsequent changes are justified.

Then when you look at the signings - take Dummigan... is Dunn saying let's only sign him one month at a time? Or is he saying he wants him for the season and the board are mucking about?

I get, and agree with, your point about us playing too many players. But I disagree with the idea that the amount of players we're using is because Dunn refuses to pick a settled side.

So much for wanting to be nearer home if this is true

He left Doncaster to be closer to his Manchester home, hence the move to Oldham. Shrewsbury is further away from Manchester than Doncaster. I cant think why he would want to move there!

:deal:

£££££££££££££££££££££££

I'd this right? Wellens to Shrewsbury!?

I thought he said he wanted to move back to the North West? Has Shropshire floated this way due to floods!?

Also didnt he actually say he wanted to stay at Oldham less than 2 weeks ago!

Edited by palmer1

I'd this right? Wellens to Shrewsbury!?

I thought he said he wanted to move back to the North West? Has Shropshire floated this way due to floods!?

Also didnt he actually say he wanted to stay at Oldham less than 2 weeks ago!

He might wanna stay at oldham but the offer may be garbage. That would help push someone to a club offering a longer deal/better finances!

These boys won't be able to retire and live off their income when they hang up their boots at our level. They need to get the best deals at the time and rightly so!