Ritchie Wellens

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what was the problem.....please share.

All whats going on behind the scenes at b.p. apparently nobody knows what's happening day to day and wellens wanted stability. Just what I've been told

All whats going on behind the scenes at b.p. apparently nobody knows what's happening day to day and wellens wanted stability. Just what I've been told

If we matched the deal that Shrewsbury offered he would have signed. He wanted to stay and he's local. His job playing football would not have changed regardless of behind the scenes. Yes relegation is a threat but Shewrsbury are far from safe as well.

If we matched the deal that Shrewsbury offered he would have signed. He wanted to stay and he's local. His job playing football would not have changed regardless of behind the scenes. Yes relegation is a threat but Shewrsbury are far from safe as well.

It does if we go bankrupt and he's out of contract unpaid...but we won't have offered him 18 months so IMO that will be the factor.

The squad certainly does need trimming but the problem is, at this time of year, you can only really get rid of your better players that other clubs want - and that's what is happening.

I think Corney's intentions will become clear in the next couple of weeks.

He's clearly not ready to back Dunn now.

Will he back him next week? Will he sack him and back someone else? Will he continue the fire sale and not back anyone, accepting relegation as the inevitable result?

I think we'll find out soon.

The squad certainly does need trimming but the problem is, at this time of year, you can only really get rid of your better players that other clubs want - and that's what is happening.

I think Corney's intentions will become clear in the next couple of weeks.

He's clearly not ready to back Dunn now.

Will he back him next week? Will he sack him and back someone else? Will he continue the fire sale and not back anyone, accepting relegation as the inevitable result?

I think we'll find out soon.

I'm not sure Philly to Blackpool constitutes a fire sale.

• 3 weeks later...

How do we know it was against the managers wishes?

Dunn tweeted it, more or less directly. Said he bought his son a Philliskirk shirt-make of that what you will.

Mind you, being sacked was against his wishes too,s o maybe we should not read too much into that.

I didn't go down to Shrewsbury however watching the highlights Wellens gave the ball away plenty, including in the run up to the goal and couldn't run back.

Passed it I reckon, good in his day but glad we didn't keep him.

I agree we did well to avoid that one, as great as he was first time round his record this season when playing is pretty shocking, well past his best.

I didn't go down to Shrewsbury however watching the highlights Wellens gave the ball away plenty, including in the run up to the goal and couldn't run back.

Passed it I reckon, good in his day but glad we didn't keep him.

I agree we did well to avoid that one, as great as he was first time round his record this season when playing is pretty shocking, well past his best.

All from 10 minutes highlights?

He was one of our better players in his last Oldham appearance against Millwall in which we played decent. Everyone wanted to sign him after that

Past his best? on loan to Oldham ended up at Shrewsbury as the back end of his career...no :censored:!

He would have been a good signing for us but we move on? Did he play at Burton Saturday? I wonder how past it he looked then.

All from 10 minutes highlights?

He was one of our better players in his last Oldham appearance against Millwall in which we played decent. Everyone wanted to sign him after that

Past his best? on loan to Oldham ended up at Shrewsbury as the back end of his career...no :censored:!

He would have been a good signing for us but we move on? Did he play at Burton Saturday? I wonder how past it he looked then.

The rarely-wrong Chron said he was arguably the stand out performer against Burton on Saturday.

I was expecting him to really turn it on on Tuesday and show his true class, but his performance was very poor and would not have been out of place with Latics pre-Shez.

Guest nonaenever

Wellens was superb in his spell with us circa 10 years ago - class above. Unfortunately, time waits for no man and I would much rather go for a talented developing midfielder like Palmer than one in the absolute twilight of his career. I went to Shrewsbury and didn't even realise that Wellens was in their starting 11 - that's how poor he was on Tuesday night (think he got subbed) - he will always 'have the eye' for a good ball but his legs are definitely packing in. Money better spent elsewhere me thinks.

Wellens was superb in his spell with us circa 10 years ago - class above. Unfortunately, time waits for no man and I would much rather go for a talented developing midfielder like Palmer than one in the absolute twilight of his career. I went to Shrewsbury and didn't even realise that Wellens was in their starting 11 - that's how poor he was on Tuesday night (think he got subbed) - he will always 'have the eye' for a good ball but his legs are definitely packing in. Money better spent elsewhere me thinks.

Wellens was a good player - in my opinion not as great as some think in his first spell, but still a welcome addition to the team.

Didn't see that much of him second time around, but agree that the Millwall game he looked as though he could still deliver a killer pass or two which is a skill much lacking in our team at the moment, and was a little disappointed to see him move on at the time and particularly to a team that we need to get above before the end of the season.

From what I saw of Palmer against Bury and the highlights from this week - I think I am genuinely more excited about him than Wellens based on the same about of football I have seen.

Wellens would have been a good signing, as much for what he would have brought to the table off the field as on it, but so far it looks like we've landed on our feet getting Palmer instead. Even more so if we can keep him for the season...

Aye, that's the danger with Palmer, could be called back at any moment and even after only 2 games it's hard to imagine the midfield without him.

Wellens would have been a good signing, as much for what he would have brought to the table off the field as on it, but so far it looks like we've landed on our feet getting Palmer instead. Even more so if we can keep him for the season...

He might have to miss a couple of games at the end as length of loans is limited.