• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Football clubs with the 'Athletic' suffix...

Alert Team: Alert Team

Jump to page : 1

Now viewing page 1 [17 messages per page] Previous thread :: Next thread

Millwall Online: For Millwall All Around The World » North Stand Banter

Moody

Posted 12/12/2015 16:05

Subject: Football clubs with the 'Athletic' suffix...

MOjo

Are they all :censored:?

Wigan, Charlton and Oldham.

Cannot think of any others in the football league. Seems the suffix of choice for bland clubs playing on the outskirts of big cities hoping to sound dynamic.

Which is interesting (sic) as Millwall were the original 'Athletic' to my knowledge...unless Whisky etc can think of any other clubs with the Athletic suffix formed before us & who have played league football (altho we didn't as Millwall Athletic).

On a very boring afternoon now it just got me thinking, one Athletic is a :censored:ty club from a rugby league town, and the other two struggle to get games on when it rains...it's a cursed suffix.

Edited by Moody 12/12/2015 16:07

Read more: http://www.millwall.vitalfootball.co.uk/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=118495&posts=11#ixzz3uDOBVkNv

That's surprisingly articulate...!

Given the varies of transportation and communication, and relative leagues in that era, surely it is possible we had not even heard of Millwall Athletic?

We played at 'The Athletic Ground' whilst we were Pine Villa didn't we. Always thought that's where it came from. Not having it anyway. It was ours first and every other :censored:er stole it.

Wasn't there something about Charlton being formed but a Northern Latics fan/someone from up here, too?

I can't be imagining all this.

We played at 'The Athletic Ground' whilst we were Pine Villa didn't we. Always thought that's where it came from. Not having it anyway. It was ours first and every other :censored:er stole it.

Wasn't there something about Charlton being formed but a Northern Latics fan/someone from up here, too?

thick cockney arsewipe managed to miss Sunderland off that list bet he didnt even think of Dunfermline

You're not - at least the part about the Athletic Gounds - later known as Boundary Park. It had been the ground of the town's first professional team, Oldham County. They failed due to lack of money, went bankrupt .

The "Oldham Standard" newspaper of 10 July 1899 wrote

"The Pine Villa AFC has secured the Oldham Athletic Grounds and the club will be known in future as the Oldham Athletic club"

I think the Charlton story is a fanciful myth! - there's no evidence to suggest their name has anything to do with us . Athletic wasn't that unusual a suffix - many clubs who didn't achieve longevity or league status had it.

Edited by LaticsPete

You're not - at least the part about the Athletic Gounds - later known as Boundary Park. It had been the ground of the town's first professional team, Oldham County. They failed due to lack of money, went bankrupt .

The "Oldham Standard" newspaper of 10 July 1899 wrote

"The Pine Villa AFC has secured the Oldham Athletic Grounds and the club will be known in future as the Oldham Athletic club"

I think the Charlton story is a fanciful myth! - there's no evidence to suggest their name has anything to do with us . Athletic wasn't that unusual a suffix - many clubs who didn't achieve longevity or league status had it.

And Millwall Athletic was formed in April1899, the same year. So could be coincidence too. I know people travelled, but that chances of both being aware of each other seem slim to me.