Bradford (A)

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I can see, out of control would count as reckless which is a yellow card.

A red for serious foul play would seemingly need to be a lunge with excessive force. And no distinction made whether that's from the front, side or back.

Yes I think you are right. It's yellow for reckless, hence a foul even if you get the ball. It's a red if it's excessive force and dangerous, which it wasn't.

Sadly, typical of modern crap Prem refs we have these days, he couldn't wait to pull the card out. He had to take centre stage and make a crucial game-changing decision based on a hunch. Why not ask the linesman for their opinion? The fact the ref's feel they have to make the call to avoid being weak, and their call sticks so once they've made a decision another official rarely counters it, is leading to many errors.

The mentality to get the right decisions (efficiency being the priority), is the same mentality of those who want more technology. Those that oppose it, support the culture of embracing constant human error and game-changing officiating failures as "part of the game". For me that's infuriating as there's nothing more annoying than forking out loads of dosh to have an official play a big part in the result, rather than it just being a fair game. Maybe it's all these armchair Sky fans that represent this mythical populous that loves to debate these things "down the pub", so we can't have the a proven method to ensure right decisions are made nearly all the time - despite it being so successful in other sports...!

Anyway, this guy on the Facebook page said he's been trained as a ref. He said the following:

"He's not in full control of his body as he goes into the tackle. He's won the ball, with his side foot, studs are not showing.

For me, it's a foul and yellow at most. The follow through makes it look quite a bad one, but the ref didn't give himself any time.

If that was me, I'd have blown for the foul then ran towards the touch line to by myself some thinking time. Called him over then booked him. That ref has made an instinctive decision, which was ultimately wrong.

Three questions the ref should ask:

1) Was it a foul - Yes, he want in control of his body when he made the tackle and he lunged in.

2) Was it reckless - Yes, as above so it's a yellow card

3) Was it excessive No, he wasn't deliberately endangering the opponent, it was dangerously high and he took the ball before the man.

Yellow card was the right decision. It's a game of opinions though and he can get only give what he sees at the time.

Hopefully it will be overturned on appeal."

Brian Wilson should get closer to stop the cross coming in, Coleman has to catch it or at least attempt to do so.

Keepers these days tend not to take a ball in flight, prefering to leave it to defenders to clear. However, with our defenders you cant count on that.

As you says it helps if crosses can be prevented at source.

Edited by BP1960

Yes I think you are right. It's yellow for reckless, hence a foul even if you get the ball. It's a red if it's excessive force and dangerous, which it wasn't.

Sadly, typical of modern crap Prem refs we have these days, he couldn't wait to pull the card out. He had to take centre stage and make a crucial game-changing decision based on a hunch. Why not ask the linesman for their opinion? The fact the ref's feel they have to make the call to avoid being weak, and their call sticks so once they've made a decision another official rarely counters it, is leading to many errors.

The mentality to get the right decisions (efficiency being the priority), is the same mentality of those who want more technology. Those that oppose it, support the culture of embracing constant human error and game-changing officiating failures as "part of the game". For me that's infuriating as there's nothing more annoying than forking out loads of dosh to have an official play a big part in the result, rather than it just being a fair game. Maybe it's all these armchair Sky fans that represent this mythical populous that loves to debate these things "down the pub", so we can't have the a proven method to ensure right decisions are made nearly all the time - despite it being so successful in other sports...!

Anyway, this guy on the Facebook page said he's been trained as a ref. He said the following:

"He's not in full control of his body as he goes into the tackle. He's won the ball, with his side foot, studs are not showing.

For me, it's a foul and yellow at most. The follow through makes it look quite a bad one, but the ref didn't give himself any time.

If that was me, I'd have blown for the foul then ran towards the touch line to by myself some thinking time. Called him over then booked him. That ref has made an instinctive decision, which was ultimately wrong.

Three questions the ref should ask:

1) Was it a foul - Yes, he want in control of his body when he made the tackle and he lunged in.

2) Was it reckless - Yes, as above so it's a yellow card

3) Was it excessive No, he wasn't deliberately endangering the opponent, it was dangerously high and he took the ball before the man.

Yellow card was the right decision. It's a game of opinions though and he can get only give what he sees at the time.

Hopefully it will be overturned on appeal."

Agree with majority of what you're saying, except the use of technology!

I think introducing stoppages for video repays would fundamentally change the flow of the game which would be a bad thing. Plus it could only be implemented at the highest level, unless clubs at our level had all the cameras paid for.

Diving and play acting cause huge problems for refs and probably don't help with their decision making. This could be dealt with easily with tough retrospective bans after a panel of ex players review footage after the game.

But that's probably a discussion for a different sub-forum!

That is a shocking decision from the ref yesterday to give Brown a straight red, whatever you think of Brown as a footballer that was as a good as a challenge you will see. Goes in 1 footed and takes the ball. The problem is that poor refs dont get penalised.

I'm not sure I'd file it alongside the best tackles I've ever seen but it wasn't a foul.

FFS I really am not allowed an opinion am I....

Watched it on the Sky website.. His feet very clearly leave the ground. That is a red card no matter which way you look at it. Read the rule book!

Other posters have also pointed out his feet leave the ground....

How do his feet clearly leaving the ground? Can the same not be said about every slide tackle if you pause the video at the right time?

I was at the match and I have just looked in the newspaper, and checked with BBC website. Both confirm what I was sure had happened ie that connor Brown was shown a Red Card in the 41st minute..I cannot therefore subscribe to the view " that it was never a red card".

On a more serious note the referee was 55 yards nearer than us had seconds to make up his mind.....we have now had 66 hours to debate and decide and we still can't agree. So I am prepared to accept the referees decision especially as I genuinely believe that whether he is right or wrong the referee has to be right! Without that concept there is no game of football

Im of the opinon that the red card made no difference what so ever as Connor Brown would have added absolutley nothing to our performance.

no point in appealing as it will cost money and he ireally snt worth it.

Shez is a proper footballer and will ship him out as soon as his contract is up, unless wo down of course then he is cheap and makes up numbers.

never a red though....

Edited by palmer1

I'm an FA ref, I wouldn't have sent him off

That is absolutely fine and your decision has to be right if you are in charge...you would not have sent him off because you did did not see an out of control excessive force tackle. If the match official did I am sure you would agree he has to send him off and I am sure you support him even if on this occasion you disagree?

Edited by Magister

That is absolutely fine and your decision has to be right if you are in charge...you would not have sent him off because you did did not see an out of control excessive force tackle. If the match official did I am sure you would agree he has to send him off and I am sure you support him even if on this occasion you disagree?

To be clear, I think the ref made the (wrong) decision in an honest enough way. Unfortunately, sending someone off isn't a great one to get wrong, as it is likely to have a significant impact on the outcome of the game. It should be rescinded (it won't be though) but we won't miss Brown anyway.

But how someone can look at the challenge, with the benefit of the camera angle (better than the ref's view) and replays and come to the conclusion that it definitely warrants a red card is beyond me.