OTT Police Presence?

Guest nonaenever

Guest nonaenever

Walking down Sheepfoot Lane, I thought I was back in the 80s - well , certainly not from the numbers of fans walking down perspective (!) but the police presence. Saw 6 - yes bloody 6 police horses and counted over 20 uniformed officers. It was a bit embarrassing because I think the police personnel outnumbered the numbers of fans walking down!

What was that all about ????

I wish we were back in the 80s, the toils back then were nothing compared to now. And we could stand up. I miss getting my bovril and chewing gum (forgot the brand) through the barriers. Simple pleasures gone forever.

Much better time to be a football fan... Agreed...

Guest nonaenever

only for police inside the ground I think - if the police deem they need staff outside to prevent Breach of the Preace etc. THINK that comes out of public purse - my point is why all the police though ? Hardly a high risk game? Any sniff of trouble that anyone saw?

only for police inside the ground I think - if the police deem they need staff outside to prevent Breach of the Preace etc. THINK that comes out of public purse - my point is why all the police though ? Hardly a high risk game? Any sniff of trouble that anyone saw?

Outside is the clubs responsibility too depending on whether or not not it falls in the "footprint" of the ground agreed between police and club. The Beehive pub in Horwich was always a source of friction between GMP and Bolton Wanderers since the club would never accept it was part of the footprint even if their fans were throwing stools in there

Outside is the clubs responsibility too depending on whether or not not it falls in the "footprint" of the ground agreed between police and club. The Beehive pub in Horwich was always a source of friction between GMP and Bolton Wanderers since the club would never accept it was part of the footprint even if their fans were throwing stools in there

No need for the landlord at the Beehive to be worried anymore, the Bolton fans don't bother now they're nowhere near the Premier League. I mean, if they were that arsed about their club you'd think they'd turn up in numbers. 6000 was it for the FA Cup replay?

Bit of something in the stand shortly after they scored but didn't see anything else!

Guest nonaenever

The police are here to train,then they go to big games

What's the police definition of training then please? "Stand shivering on a cold day in Sheepfoot Lane, Oldham watching a few people walking down the road" - there, that'll prepare you for riots and things!

They seemingly had two coppers at the first couple of bus stops nearest the ground on Oldham Broadway, which seemed a bit unusual. I was surprised they didn't have any coppers at Westwood tram stop if that was the case though, especially with Crybaby PLC and Real PLC playing at home too.

Magister has a point as well, there's been trouble at recent Dale and Buckets away games, there was always going to be a similarly heavy cop presence today and I would except more of the same when Dale bring their 409 full to ice station zebra in March.

• 4 weeks later...