Oldham v Gillingham

Gillingham score a lot away from home - 2, 2, 3, 3 & 2 in the 5 games prior to their 1-0 defeat at Blackpool.

Blackpool also won 1-0 at Wigan in December. To use horse racing parlance is there a line of form that can be taken from any of that and our 0-0's with Wigan and Blackpool? (i.e 0-0 again?)

Often, in the past, when a high flying side has come here and come to play and have a go we've tended to do well but in light of the fact we can't hit a cows arse with a banjo at the moment I'd be a bit worried if it's end to end....

That said it could all come together finally up front....

Also, Gillingham hardly ever get anything at BP. Even when they've brought promotion or promotion chasing sides in the past.

I doubt Shez will change anything in defence or midfield apart from Gerrard slotting back in if fit. Holloway must surely be a starter so who partners him is the only question to my mind - Main/Murphy/Someone else? Cassidy unlikely. Poleon being given another go wouldn't be that huge a surprise...

Edited by HarryBosch

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coleman

Wilson - Dieng - Gerrard - Lafferty

Dummigan - Palmer - Kelly - Forte

Murphy - Holloway

Yes, I'd have Winchester on the bench for this one. A couple of decent shots from distance aside in the last few games, he's not impressed me all that much. He's also not a winger, and he doesn't get ahead of Palmer in the middle for me. Would be a good option off the bench for the last 30 I reckon.

Jones was garbage when he came on but he's bound to be rusty. Another decent option off the bench though.

Forte improved as the game went on against Blackpool, and if we're to want our forwards on the end of crosses then we need some pace down each wing which is what he and Dummigan have.

Despite the criticism of Murphy recently, I'd persist with him. He needs to improve his first touch, but his movement is excellent and I do think there's a player, and a goalscorer, in there. He needs to a little less "tracking back" though and stay closer to Holloway because that lad can win anything in the air.

Yes, I'd have Winchester on the bench for this one. A couple of decent shots from distance aside in the last few games, he's not impressed me all that much. He's also not a winger, and he doesn't get ahead of Palmer in the middle for me. Would be a good option off the bench for the last 30 I reckon.

Not a chance...

Without his and Palmer's efforts we could have been scoring less than 0 in these last 2 games....

Not a chance...

Without his and Palmer's efforts we could have been scoring less than 0 in these last 2 games....

He's just not a winger. He didn't play a single decent cross against Blackpool. I'd rather try and play with pace on the wings to get in behind rather than see Winchester continually come short for the ball.

He's just not a winger. He didn't play a single decent cross against Blackpool. I'd rather try and play with pace on the wings to get in behind rather than see Winchester continually come short for the ball.

His keeping, passing and carrying of the ball is a big contributory factor to our clean sheets too though....

How many crosses does Forte usually produce? Winchester player wide right, that doesn't mean he's playing as a winger. It'd be nice to have Neil Adams and Rick Holden types playing standing on the whitewash whipping crosses in but we'd conceded 5 goals for everyone we scored.

It wouldn't shock me to see Jones left and us to set up very solidly but we are playing well, get Gerrard back in and go again. An early latics goal and we'll win Saturday.

Don't think I've ever seen as much praise for someone's "movement" as I have for Murphy before.

Also, any talk of him improving his first touch is redundant.

What he's got at 23 is likely to be all he'll ever have. You either have it or you don't.

All that said, I'm still hopeful that he'll fire in a few important goals for us between now and the end of the season.

He may not be quite up to top League One standard but he's certainly better than League Two, as proved by his goals in an average Crawley side.

Also, any talk of him improving his first touch is redundant.

What he's got at 23 is likely to be all he'll ever have. You either have it or you don't.

All that said, I'm still hopeful that he'll fire in a few important goals for us between now and the end of the season.

He may not be quite up to top League One standard but he's certainly better than League Two, as proved by his goals in an average Crawley side.

Not always true, Im in no way comparing Harry Kane to Murphy but 7 clubs said Kane didnt have 'it' after loan spells mainly all lower championship clubs where he didnt play a great deal

proof improvements can be made if you work hard, its not always a case of having or not right away.

However I can only think that Harry Kane sold his soul to the devil to improve so quickly - maybe Murphy could make the same deal?

Don't think I've ever seen as much praise for someone's "movement" as I have for Murphy before.

It is the most important skill for a striker to possess.

Movement will get you goals at any level. He constantly makes channels for the midfielders and gets in threatening areas. It is excellent striking play.

Only issue is that he drops deep on occasions for some unfathomable reason.

He doesn't deserve to start after Tuesday though - was dreadful. Then again, Main shouldn't either so I guess Murphy has to by default.

Fancy us to take something from Saturday. A home win is everything to us. The faster we get the ball rolling on that front the more likely we are to stay up.

we don't create enough chances from open play and that's been a problem all season

That's probably not going to change any time soon especially against the better sides so for me we need to be working on set pieces and really maximising the threat from them. Make sure the lads know what areas the balls going to and get people running on to it.. . with some mis direction runs thrown in. You know everyone rushes the near post except two who go to the back post and that's where the balls aimed.

Jones is OK when shooting for goal but his crossing is too often less than great.

Id stick with the same side that started v blackpool and asses from there. We created chances just didn't take them. Main is still probably rusty so id keep him on the bench. If Forte can get back to fitness that's a massive plus and he started he goal run for us from outwide.

fingers crossed - glimmers of improvement under shez but we oh so badley need a win.

Heavy rain all afternoon tomorrow and again from 11.00am Saturday.

Reckon yet another postponement is on the cards and a fixture pile-up beckons....not good news for our chances of staying up!!

Been dryer this week apart from down pour yesterday so pitch shouldn't be as saturated. Previous weeks it has rain consistently at some point during the day. Should be okay this week I'd think. Edited by Chris Richard

Been dryer this week apart from down pour yesterday so pitch shouldn't be as saturated. Previous weeks it has rain consistently at some point during the day. Should be okay this week I'd think.

Blackpool's pitch was really sodden on Tuesday and if ours is in a similar state I wouldn't fancy our chances of getting the game on after a couple more days of heavy rain!

The day after his 23rd birthday, Rickie Lambert signed for Rochdale in League 2. Grant Holt too was at Rochdale in League 2 at 23. And David Eyres, at the same age, was still two years away from turning pro.