ignoring contract expiry...

Keep

Coleman

Dieng

J Wilson

Gerrard

B Wilson as a squad player.

Edmundson if he had as good a pre-season as many reported.

Kelly

Jones as a centre-mid, take it or leave it as a left-mid.

Winchester

Not a clue

Vassell

Tuohy

Byrnes

Thiele

Let go

Cornell

Brown

Mills

Truelove

Croft

Poleon

Forte

Cassidy

Turner

Murphy

Bove

So there's only 9 that I'd keep, plus 5 of the loanees. I'd imagine that Dummigan, THD and Palmer would want to fight for a place at their parent clubs, Holloway and Main I'd say we have a decent chance of getting.

I look at a lot of the list of players to bin and think that, with the right management and coaching this year, they could've been more than adequate in a top half team challenging for the playoffs. That said those in question deserve their share of the blame for not progressing or, in some cases, regressing.

Without hindsight I was glad that we didn't overhaul the bulk of the squad last summer because it's very rare that any club develops with large scale changes to the playing staff year-on-year. This year though a large turnover of players is required, regardless of the league we're in.

Edited by the_mighty_bosh

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You think Poleon is more integral to our team than Gerrard?

No, Gerrard's been crucial for this side but I reckon he'd be replaceable over summer. Poleon will have future value. Not everyone agrees with me but he's gonna come good with a run of fixtures. Dunn dropped him when he was finding form for some reason or another.

Plus he's our top scorer..!

No, Gerrard's been crucial for this side but I reckon he'd be replaceable over summer. Poleon will have future value. Not everyone agrees with me but he's gonna come good with a run of fixtures. Dunn dropped him when he was finding form for some reason or another.

Gerard's only more replaceable because he actually needs replacing. Poleon could have been released in January and it wouldn't have made a single bit of difference.

Can see where you're coming from with Poleon and I think him and Higdon could've been a very effective partnership given a run of games. But while he's a powerful and pacy runner and has shown flashes on brilliance over the last couple of years, he's mostly been ineffective. He doesn't seem to read the game well, often getting into poor positions or making bad decisions on the ball. I'm not convinced that he'll improve much in the future either so I'd leave him off the retained list.

Last summer I wanted us to keep Gerrard but I also thought there might be better affordable options. This summer I don't want us to take that chance again! Having said that I think there might be hope for Dieng and Wilson as a partnership if Shirtliff is still here.

Gerard's only more replaceable because he actually needs replacing. Poleon could have been released in January and it wouldn't have made a single bit of difference.

Am not diminishing his importance.....

However it was interesting to see how well the team defended on Saturday when set up properly from back to front.

The idea he is irreplaceable is not black and white for me. We should certainly seek to keep him but not at all costs!!

Edited by whitey1980

Regardless of Poleon's merits, Gerrard is far from irreplaceable next season. We needed him when we signed him because we'd failed to make a signing and several players went to :censored: along with the rest of the team.

Can see where you're coming from with Poleon and I think him and Higdon could've been a very effective partnership given a run of games. But while he's a powerful and pacy runner and has shown flashes on brilliance over the last couple of years, he's mostly been ineffective. He doesn't seem to read the game well, often getting into poor positions or making bad decisions on the ball. I'm not convinced that he'll improve much in the future either so I'd leave him off the retained list.

Last summer I wanted us to keep Gerrard but I also thought there might be better affordable options. This summer I don't want us to take that chance again! Having said that I think there might be hope for Dieng and Wilson as a partnership if Shirtliff is still here.

As opposed to Main? I'd have Poleon over him every day of the week. Poleon's incredibly raw yet he seems to have a knack for goalscoring, and when he's good he's incredible. You say he doesn't read the game well but he's scored a few poachers' goals this season. Granted, there are plenty of flaws to his game - inability to pass some games is certainly one - but he really does, more than anybody else, strike me as the sort of player who will explode with a run of form that propels him into the player he can be, and like so many other attackers who've played for Latics, I fear he will fulfill his potential elsewhere.

As for Gerrard, he was supposedly playing for free, so clearly half decent defenders are knocking about. It was Kelly's foolishness in thinking he could play a rookie loanee as his main centre back which exaggerated our problems.

I'd forgotten about his appointment. I was dreading yesterday because of the defence, but they played really well as a unit. :censored:. He could be top of the retention list.

As opposed to Main? I'd have Poleon over him every day of the week. Poleon's incredibly raw yet he seems to have a knack for goalscoring, and when he's good he's incredible. You say he doesn't read the game well but he's scored a few poachers' goals this season. Granted, there are plenty of flaws to his game - inability to pass some games is certainly one - but he really does, more than anybody else, strike me as the sort of player who will explode with a run of form that propels him into the player he can be, and like so many other attackers who've played for Latics, I fear he will fulfill his potential elsewhere.

As for Gerrard, he was supposedly playing for free, so clearly half decent defenders are knocking about. It was Kelly's foolishness in thinking he could play a rookie loanee as his main centre back which exaggerated our problems.

I wouldn't be surprised if Dieng and Wilson end up being our best 2 centre backs next season, but a player like Gerrard is definitely needed in the squad and he's a known quantity. If Shez can find better then fantastic.

As for Poleon, I guess we'll have to wait and see. I'd love it if we take a chance on him next season and he proves us right for doing so. He has to be played up front imo. To be fair he might prove me wrong if he gets a run in the side alongside Holloway.

I see Main as a different type of player to Poleon, more of a workhorse who will add value to the team defensively even when he isn't scoring. Hopefully Main wouldn't be relied upon to be our main source of goals next season though!

Keep

Dieng

Coleman

J Wilson

Winchester

Gerrard

Unsure on Kelly and Jones absolute shadow of what they were last season.

The rest are absolute fodder

Another summer of upheaval but at least we have a manager who has a clue rather than the 2/3 previous shambolic appointments.

It rather depends where we are and how much money we lucky season ticket holders have been refunded. Does the season ticket money paid during this season count towards FFP for next season? (Who knows?)

I disagree with the assessment of most people with the exception of Cornell and Brown. This was a good group of players when we had a good manager and it will be a good group of players now that we have a good manager. Unfortunately we will lose most of the loan players and even some of those contracted if anybody wants to pay peanuts for them - SC is still here and has a stand to finish.

This was a good group of players when we had a good manager and it will be a good group of players now that we have a good manager.

Do you reckon we'd have climbed to where we are now in the league without the addition of Gerrard, Palmer, Holloway and Main? I don't think so myself, even with us having a better manager now.

Not enough of them stood up to be counted during the really bad run, so not fussed if the majority aren't around next season.

Who's contracted beyond the end of the season? Like many have said a lot can go for me I'm sick of watching them not put a shift in

Winch, Kelly, Cassidy, Brown (cheers Dazzler), Murphy I think are here. The rest are up, but the club has options to extend on Dieng, Croft, Mills and Cornell...

http://www.owtb.co.uk/index.php/topic/48133-squad-movements-january-2016/?p=839769

Guest nonaenever

I wouldn't be surprised if Dieng and Wilson end up being our best 2 centre backs next season

Please no! Having weak centre backs is a big % of why we are in the predicament we are in. Wilson is bobbins at centre half - way too soft - we need a big physical presence in there.

i wouldn't get rid of Brian Wilson he's a good squad player and can play everywhere in defence, he's probably not on much money either.

Stuck him on my transfer list out of habit, but it's a fair point. He's looked decent most times I've seen him this season, and you could even say he's improved from the last. Campbell-Ryce isn't a bad player at this level and he contained him well.

i wouldn't get rid of Brian Wilson he's a good squad player and can play everywhere in defence, he's probably not on much money either.

On the basis that we were trying to move him and Poleon out at the start of these season I reckon both are big earners.