Latics 1-0 Spireites

Surprised at people being down on today's performance. We knew Holloway and Main aren't Lineker and Beardsley but they did what they do and did it well. All season we would have been waiting for the sucker punch, it never came. Main played a big role in that. We plainly need to keep getting goals from midfield and defending from the front. Great win.

Quite

The criticism levelled at some players is ridiculous

We have a team of league 1 players and reserves - the expectations there seem to be of them is our of proportion

Main for instance .not at his best today but still stuck to his task till visibly tiring. Had a great first time strike in first half - Lee making a good save. In fact I think it was his only save of the half . He pulled people over to him, linked up well with J Wilson and was unlucky when he won the ball in chesterfields half and had a run on goal in front of him before being fouled

It's the same with others - they're not world beaters but under Sheridan are generally improving and giving commitment . It's all we can reasonably expect.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What? Harsh saying he's not a top class international?

You know what I mean. Bracketing him with Main for a start...

He has been excellent but if he had it all he wouldn't be on loan at Latics!

He doesn't want to get into the box and get across the defender in dangerous areas. He tends to hang back on the edhpge of the box waiting for the ball. He holds it up & is very strong with great touch (maybe holds on too long sometimes)He is a work in progress but shows signs of being a top level player.

He strike me as someone who want to score great goals rather than scrappy ones. He needs to learn they all count.

You also know what I mean. Ability-wise he does have everything to be a quality striker at this level, and above. Plenty of players have struggled to settle early in their career. You can argue that good strikers make their own chances, but he's clearly instructed to go out to play in a certain way which limits him to being a target-man. We don't make many chances and he often has to feed off hoofs with his back to goal.

I feel sorry for Sheridan that we still somehow find ourselves in the bottom 4...so close now. But in a way I am quite glad is it keeps the mind focused that the job is far from done yet...I fear that if we got out of the bottom 4 the mentality might switch and alter the form of our battling performances and we slip back again.

Sheridan has made us very solid and hard working which is all we could ask from what is at his disposal... A pre season to make some amends and I'm confident he can add a bit more of the goals we desire

Well that wasn't pretty, Chesterfield were fookin awful, moment of magic from Jones won it, but we still seem to be reluctant to take pot shots at goal when the opportunity arises. Scrape a couple more of them though and we will be right, Donny look beaten so it looks like 1 from 4. Another £50 off the season ticket, happy days.

Might be being picky here but I thought Main was awful and Forte wasn't much better.

We created more in the first half than we have in a long time, most of which Forte was heavily involved in.

The PA system was working loud and clear in the North Stand, and the announcer was excellent.

The teams came out to Little Richard singing Long Tall Sally.....rock 'n' roll!

Gonna tell Aunt Mary 'bout Uncle John
He claim he has the misery but he's havin' a lot of fun
Oh baby, yeah baby, woo, baby
Havin' me some fun tonight yeah.

Also we've never lost when I've seen a fox crossing the road at the M67 Mottram roundabout on the morning of the game.

The PA system was working loud and clear in the North Stand, and the announcer was excellent.

The teams came out to Little Richard singing Long Tall Sally.....rock 'n' roll!

Gonna tell Aunt Mary 'bout Uncle John

He claim he has the misery but he's havin' a lot of fun

Oh baby, yeah baby, woo, baby

Havin' me some fun tonight yeah.

Also we've never lost when I've seen a fox crossing the road at the M67 Mottram roundabout on the morning of the game.

and I sat in seat 154 today and against Blackpool and 153 v dogdale

It's 154 for the next game too

Andy Ritchie on gmr -

Holloway has badly twisted ankle but won't know damage until swelling gone down.

The cast was only put on as a precaution.

Timmy has dislocated his shoulder and will be out for a while.

Season could well be finished for the pair of them going off that, certainly in Thiele's case. Holloway's bound to have damaged ligaments.

Ritchie's MOM (gmr)

I actually agree that Brian was mom. He was superb at the back. Chesterfield did nothing up front.

This was a tough slog and we stuck with it . All about the results, team spirit and fight. We had it all today. We deserved to win.

Well done boys for two dogged performances, some great defending and a fantastic spirit.

Holloway is the big loss if true he has been outstanding since being here his ability to fight it out with centre backs and win the ball gets us much further up the pitch. He gives our defence breathing space.

The problem is is that he needs more players to lay it off to in the final third of the pitch and get on the ball and do damage we have dont have enough of them.

Season could well be finished for the pair of them going off that, certainly in Thiele's case. Holloway's bound to have damaged ligaments.

A grade 2 sprain can be 4-6 weeks, discolated shoulder may be longer.

We created more in the first half than we have in a long time, most of which Forte was heavily involved in.

Yep forte is lazy and hasn't been great but is still our best chanel of goals. Got his head on the cross which was offside and as soon as went up front got down the side of centre backs. Main works hard but doesn't threaten and holloway for all his great hold up play and flicks again rarely threatens. He should be playing every week either wide left but right up top or in the centre

A grade 2 sprain can be 4-6 weeks, discolated shoulder may be longer.

I have done both playing AFL over the years. given his frame, and the style of play, we won't see AAH again this season; but Thiele should be no more than a couple of weeks.