Team v Millwall

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously writing off a trialist after one friendly?!

It was called a trial and every effort should be made to impress. If they aren't up for it to win a contract forget them IMO.

I notice last Saturday's trialist was ditched after one friendly, are you saying the club's management was wrong to write him off?

Edited by BP1960

It was called a trial and every effort should be made to impress. If they aren't up for it to win a contract forget them IMO.

I notice last Saturday's trialist was ditched after one friendly, are you saying the club's management was wrong to write him off?

The management will likely have had the benefit of seeing trialists up close and personal in training too, and the friendly might be only a small part of the decision.

Also, the management have the advantage of knowing what they are talking about unlike the vast majority (some exceptions of course) of us supporters.

The management will likely have had the benefit of seeing trialists up close and personal in training too, and the friendly might be only a small part of the decision.

Also, the management have the advantage of knowing what they are talking about unlike the vast majority (some exceptions of course) of us supporters.

Not the one last Saturday, he only arrived 2 hours before the kick off.

A judgement was soon made on him by club and fans alike.

Maybe he came in and after game management team spoke to ex coaches etc which they may not have had opportunity to do beforehand if he came at such short notice

That does sound a bit hasty, although there is then the all-important consideration of attitude, both on and off the pitch. Having the wrong flavour of this can, and should get anyone a swift exit out of the door.

Not alleging that this is the case though in this example.

Not always a question of "not being up for it." I don't know when he arrived at the club, it could feasibly have been a couple of hours before the game. Meaning he knew none of the players, and was just thrown into a system which he might not know very well, which is clearly not ideal.

Of course, sometimes you can tell within 45 minutes if someone has it or not - Southampton were obviously right not to give Ali Dia a 5 year contract, as we probably were with Nabi. But I don't think you can convincingly say Beautyman fluffed it and isn't good enough. He's played c40 games in this division for a club who have been above us for all of that.

Edit: I should say, I've been to neither game. But these are glorified kick abouts, and probably isn't going to give a fair reflection.

Edited by josh_latics

• 2 weeks later...

Ripley

Law

Clarke

Burgess

Reckord

Klok

Croft

Green

Banks

Flynn

Mckay

Hopefully we'll be solid and grind out a point, maybe nick a goal on the counter.

Starting Croft would show up our window as a failure - he's not a bad player, just a loser. That team isn't getting anything against Millwall. Have a positive feeling about Mckay, but can't see who will provide for him on a regular basis in what looks like a midfield lacking attacking talent.

Starting Croft would show up our window as a failure - he's not a bad player, just a loser. That team isn't getting anything against Millwall. Have a positive feeling about Mckay, but can't see who will provide for him on a regular basis in what looks like a midfield lacking attacking talent.

Croft has had a good pre season by the sounds of it.

He was one of the better players of the Kelly era and had a decent finish to the season.

This silly notion that he puts weight on after securing a contract seems to have stuck and is used against him.

Croft has had a good pre season by the sounds of it.

He was one of the better players of the Kelly era and had a decent finish to the season.

This silly notion that he puts weight on after securing a contract seems to have stuck and is used against him.

I don't have his weight history, but he's ballooned mid-season the last two times he's been here. How dare anybody criticise him for being probably 2 stone overweight what his profession requires...

He's obviously got the ability to play at this level, but we always seem at our lowest ebb whenever he's been here. It may be one of the reasons I have him down as a loser, but his record in front of goal also has him down as a choker.

He's somebody I see as perpetually average and it's never a good sign if he's starting for you.

Can't see him not starting both Erwin and Mckay up front

I reckon he will too, but I worry that we'll be overran in the middle of the park with Green and Banks in a 4-4-2. 3-5-2 might solve that but it didn't work in pre-season.

If we go like for like against Millwall next week they'll smash us. If SR gets his tactics right we might get a result.