Brian Clough used to say that within a week he could train any amateur team to get their fair share of 0-0 draws. Other aspects would take longer.

As Stevie J says we are obviously not ready yet. That is the fault of the board-utterly and completely. They seem to have other priorities.

How many points away from safety and at what date will we need to be before some people cease with their blind loyalty.

Brian Clough was talking bollocks, again.

blind loyalty / constant blame culture toward one individual.... no difference really.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems to be every season in recent years that we're talking about be patient and making allowances for the fact that the team building isn't complete and the players don't yet know each other.

Another way of putting it is that we're not ready for the start of the season. The drawn out process of appointing the manager has put us in this position again.

Completely agree on the last point but that's a separate debate really.

Last season we had the most settled squad we had in years but the manager was totally wrong. I was very nervous this time last year. This season it's looking like being the opposite - a completely new squad but at least there's thought gone into the management team. Albeit it took forever and set us back massively.

We've signed a whole squad that will take time to gel, learn how each other plays and learn what the manager wants.

Problem is some people seem to be questioning why that's not happening instantly.

Don't give the protesters ideas...

What do we want?

3 pts

When do we want it??

Now

Why are so many always so accepting of mediocrity?

There seems to be a bit of a "don't worry about winning any games yet Steve" attitude from some of you. :lol:

Quite rightly nobody "expected" us to win yesterday but, after everything SR has said since joining, I was at least expecting to see us look organised and be hard to beat.

Gelling, patterns of play, goals and all the rest of it might well take time (although they don't have to) but it's a bit worrying how soft the goals were.

While it's fair enough that he's not had time to get a lot of things as they should be getting us organised at the back & defending set pieces is the easiest part of a football managers job - Shez did it pretty much instantly with someone else's players who were devoid of any confidence.

But it was all so, so easy for Millwall. And they also had several players making their debuts.

Is Millwall's pitch quite big or did our lack of width and pace just make it seem like that?

Even if quality is lacking we desperately need a quick winger or striker if only as an outlet when we're away from home.

We could have lost 3-0 yesterday and still come away with some positives but for there to have been none is disappointing & worrying.

Hopefully a week from now he'll have quickly put right the simple stuff that was wrong yesterday.

Edited by HarryBosch

^ Yep.

Hoped to hear some positives despite knowing we'd lose. Maybe some nice touches, movement, dribbles or passes that showed we've recruited well and we'll come good.

It sounds like there was virtually none, and we badly lacked any quality. That's concerning, no matter how long you've had to gel. Might not be the worst thing to lose comfortably if it prompts more signings.

Why are so many always so accepting of mediocrity?

There seems to be a bit of a "don't worry about winning any games yet Steve" attitude from some of you. :lol:

Quite rightly nobody "expected" us to win yesterday but, after everything SR has said since joining, I was at least expecting to see us look organised and be hard to beat.

Gelling, patterns of play, goals and all the rest of it might well take time (although they don't have to) but it's a bit worrying how soft the goals were.

While it's fair enough that he's not had time to get a lot of things as they should be getting us organised at the back & defending set pieces is the easiest part of a football managers job - Shez did it pretty much instantly with someone else's players who were devoid of any confidence.

But it was all so, so easy for Millwall. And they also had several players making their debuts.

Is Millwall's pitch quite big or did our lack of width and pace just make it seem like that?

Even if quality is lacking we desperately need a quick winger or striker if only as an outlet when we're away from home.

We could have lost 3-0 yesterday and still come away with some positives but for there to have been none is disappointing & worrying.

Hopefully a week from now he'll have quickly put right the simple stuff that was wrong yesterday.

Agreed...if we always expect nothing from teams that should be above us then what is the point turning up for 80% games this season?

We have always made suggestions that we are better as massive under dogs rather than against teams we should beat. Where has that theory now gone? Or are they both true? If so that leaves us firmly rock bottom and down by Xmas!

I expected much more fight from a new squad trying to assert themselves that's the major dissapointment...everything that we have supposedly trained hard on ( structure and set pieces) is what undid us yesterday and Milwall took their foot off the pedal halfway through the game

Shez did it pretty much instantly with someone else's players who were devoid of any confidence.

No he didn't....Shez lost his opening two games and we were absolutely woeful in the 1st against Bradford! He inherited a side low on confidence admittedly but they were all fit and just needed direction and encouragement.

You cannot judge a completely new team on one game against one of the promotion favourites. He's admitted he needs a few more players...Rome wasn't built in a day and we will have to be patient. If we are the same after 10 or 12 games then that will be the time to worry!

Shez did it pretty much instantly with someone else's players who were devoid of any confidence.

No he didn't....Shez lost his opening two games and we were absolutely woeful in the 1st against Bradford! He inherited a side low on confidence admittedly but they were all fit and just needed direction and encouragement.

I can't remember who the second game was against, but we weren't woeful against Bradford.

Granted, on the ball we weren't great, but we we lost 1-0 against a play-off side having been down to 10-men for an hour, and had a few shots too.

You cannot judge a completely new team on one game against one of the promotion favourites. He's admitted he needs a few more players...Rome wasn't built in a day and we will have to be patient. If we are the same after 10 or 12 games then that will be the time to worry!

You're one of a few people who've said similar to this to a few people posting about what they watched yesterday and their thoughts on it.

None of whom, me included, are judging a completely new team on one game against one of the promotion favourites.

I can't remember who the second game was against, but we weren't woeful against Bradford.

Granted, on the ball we weren't great, but we we lost 1-0 against a play-off side having been down to 10-men for an hour, and had a few shots too.

We got battered against Hanson for 90mins for Bradford one of the most one sided games I have seen! How that only ended 1-0 I will never know. Granted didn't help Connor brown going off but still very much under the cosh. Edited by adamoafc

I must have imagined all those pre season games I turned up to watch us lose? In some cases against much lower league opposition

None of whom, me included, are judging a completely new team on one game against one of the promotion favourites.

But on the same score you're suggesting that those asking for patience are "accepting of mediocrity". I was hopeful things would go well yesterday but I'm hardly surprised they went the way they did. Doesn't mean I accept that as the norm, but we're at the very beginning so these players do need time. What I expect is more quality to be added and for things to improve over the course of the season. If not then I might start questioning the players brought in and the managers ability but after one competitive game? Ridiculous.

But on the same score you're suggesting that those asking for patience are "accepting of mediocrity". I was hopeful things would go well yesterday but I'm hardly surprised they went the way they did. Doesn't mean I accept that as the norm, but we're at the very beginning so these players do need time. What I expect is more quality to be added and for things to improve over the course of the season. If not then I might start questioning the players brought in and the managers ability but after one competitive game? Ridiculous.

I think that you should question the budget first and the time schedules secondly.

We are already playing catch up in respect of establishing a squad-we dont even have a good enough 11 to compete yet!

Leeds fans chanting 'what the :censored:in hell was that' at their own players after a 3-0 away loss in London to promotion favourites.

Despite this I doubt many are tipping them for relegation

What relevance is that? We were relegation favourites before Millwall...

What relevance is that? We were relegation favourites before Millwall...

Getting beat 3-0 in London on opening day against a team tipped for promotion while being watched by disgruntled fans...

I actually thought it was funny & it occurred today but I will make sure to PM all future thoughts to you before posting. Especially if you couldn't see the very obvious link & similarities between the 2 results.

Edited by palmer1

Getting beat 3-0 in London on opening day against a team tipped for promotion while being watched by disgruntled fans...

I actually thought it was funny & it occurred today but I will make sure to PM all future thoughts to you before posting. Especially if you couldn't see the very obvious link & similarities between the 2 results.

Please do.

Was it meant to be funny?