League Cup 2nd Round Draw - who do you want?

All games are winnable...some less likely than others. This is one that we are likely to lose and isn't a money spinner.

80% of fans on here & twitter predicted defeat last night.

Like I said I'm happy - haters gonna hate...innit!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was checking the prize money for this cup yesterday and it's abismal. I had no idea it was so poor. The only way to make money is to draw a big club away where the support will turn out for any game, or a PL club at home covered by TV.

Round 1 winners get £5000

Round 2 winners get £7000

Round 3 winners get £10000

Round 4 winners get £15000

Semi final winners get £25000

and the winners of the cup get a massive £100000.

No wonder the big clubs aren't interested.

I was checking the prize money for this cup yesterday and it's abismal. I had no idea it was so poor. The only way to make money is to draw a big club away where the support will turn out for any game, or a PL club at home covered by TV.

Is that due to a lack of sponsorship or because there's a more equal distribution of other funds across league clubs?

Isn't it terrible what they've done to the game.

We (me included) now hope for a good draw because it will make money for the club rather than give us a chance of progressing or pitting our wits against the big boys.

Did any of you older lot know, care, or even think about what the prize money was in 89-90?

I was 14 and didn't.

We still had less money than most of our league & a board that many considered incompetent & tight but.....

We weren't salivating over the share of the gate receipts we were getting at Everton, Southampton, Maine Rd..... Or for the full houses at BP.

We were salivating over the prospect of a great game and an outside chance of an unlikely victory against Arsenal, Everton etc..

And then salivating over the prospect of quite likely victories for the second half of the cup runs..

I bet the kids in the Athletico's & the protest group know all of this in fine detail. And probably discuss it. Which is really sad.

Edited by HarryBosch

If we get through and draw someone decent that could still happen on the basis we could spend knowing money was coming....

Very true. To expand on my previous post, my draw preferences are as follows:

1. Most winnable match

2. Most winnable match near where I live

3. Exciting home match on tv

4. Money spinning away match

5. Any away match near where I live

6. Away to an uninteresting team from the division above, meaning less chance of going through, no chance of me going or watching and little money for the club to make out of it.

7. Not in the draw at all!

We (me included) now hope for a good draw because it will make money for the club rather than give us a chance of progressing or pitting our wits against the big boys.

Did any of you older lot know, care, or even think about what the prize money was in 89-90?

I was 14 and didn't.

We still had less money than most of our league & a board that many considered incompetent & tight but.....

We weren't salivating over the share of the gate receipts we were getting at Everton, Southampton, Maine Rd..... Or for the full houses at BP.

We were salivating over the prospect of a great game and an outside chance of an unlikely victory against Arsenal, Everton etc..

And then salivating over the prospect of quite likely victories for the second half of the cup runs..

I bet the kids in the Athletico's & the protest group know all of this in fine detail. And probably discuss it. Which is really sad.

You look at getting a big draw for the money rather than the day out?

Really?

For me, and most others, it's an added bonus. My first hope is for a big club away at a ground I've never visited before. Failing that, big club at home. Failing that, a :censored:e team who we should beat. Failing everything else, Preston away.

The money is an added bonus. If I saw us draw Chelsea away my first thought is excitement rather than financial gain...

Edited by NewBlue

You look at getting a big draw for the money rather than the day out?

Really?

For me, and most others, it's an added bonus. My first hope is for a big club away at a ground I've never visited before. Failing that, a :censored:e team who we should beat. Failing that, Preston away.

The money is an added bonus. If I saw us draw Chelsea away my first thought is excitement rather than financial gain...

I'm mostly the same as you but Chelsea could have brought a season changing windfall and I'm sad to say I was conscious of that.

I wanted the most money spinning decent day out, if that makes sense..

Pulling the likes of Liverpool, Everton and to some extent, the Leeds' and Forests has helped stave off the sort of :censored:, hand to mouth times we've been facing more recently. With the lack of a payday in recent seasons, it's been fairly bleak for us. I'm a firm believer we've stayed in League One in-spite of our leader, not because of him (although I do give him credit for the Shez masterstroke last season) and that the luck of the draw a few years back was the sole reason we haven't gone through the trapdoor so far. We need a big tie again...soon. After winning a round in the cup, it makes every :censored: draw like this Preston one that bit more hard to swallow. Especially when "seeding" is supposed to be rewarding for us.

I was 14 and didn't.

I think that your final paragraph is really sad. Lay off why don't you? Edited by TheBigDog

Eh?

Well, i agree with you. Romance has been suffocated by the obsession with money. It all started with Sky. The glorification of transfer fees and wages, and where you finish in the league, is more important than winning cups. PL football is largely lacking in real passion. No one seems bothered about glory. Leicester's title win is brilliant because it has revived the romance of the game, for now. But llok at the amounts being spent.

Money, money, money. Football has become a sad extension of a morally corrupt capitalist culture, one dominated by big business. Football should be about the glory.

I was 14 and didn't.

I think that your final paragraph is really sad. Lay off why don't you?

Eh?

It was the final paragraph I was referring to. Why have a pop at the Athleticos? Especially when it is pure conjecture on your part.

The rest of your post is fair comment.

What point exactly was he making with reference to the Athleticos?

I don't want to speak for HB, but I think he was using the Athleticos as an example of young, passionate fans who have seen the game distorted due to the obsession with money, and ultimately too serious less enjoyable...