Northampton

Good goalscorers generally dont work too hard. They just get where they need to be which, from what I've seen, he does.

If the ball doesn't get to him, how can he score goals?

He has to find space, you can bet the new striker will.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So that's you qualified opinion? As a scout watching a player surely you see the bigger picture? 'his instructions are to score goals' Does that involve creating every single thing for himself!?

He is working hard enough within the areas of the pitch that he has been told too, central! Erwins work rate seems superior as he is being used as the obvious big target man & obviously told to use the full width of the pitch & to drop back on to the wings and cover when we dont have the ball. In the last 2 games he has played on the right and the left. Wide players will always do more running making their work rate look superior.

Erwin should be used more central imo but both players are obviously working under instruction. Mackay needs someone nearer to work off but that's not the formation we are playing.

He has had no service. A new striker will not score without the right service...

It's a combination.

You make it sound like you think chances should come on a plate for him. The truth is that our right back has created two good chances for himself this season so far - one more than our goalscoring striker. Yeah, it's different, but it's just a sign that intent does play a part. Just looking back at the highlights, where is Mckay for Law's surge into the box? The man running in to look for the ball across was Green - Mckay was on the right wing. That's exactly where your striker should be to tap it in.

His movement in the first half was okay, and he looked for space all over the front line to no avail, but ultimately of the 2 or 3 chances we made he was on the end of none. Second half he did nothing and was rightly taken off.

Good strikers will make chances possible for themselves. He's not done that effectively yet.

Edited by NewBlue

Let's not go all Adam Rooney on Mckay eh? I'm sure it'll come in time.

Bury should be interesting as many of the goals I watched of his on YouTube (yeah, I know) seemed to be scored on the counter.

Or will we continue our high pressing game away from home? Does this maybe not suit a striker like Mckay?

At least the scoring problem seems to stem from us trying to walk it in as opposed to creating nothing at all.

Its a positive that we're at least getting in positions to do that (and we will actually walk it in eventually if we stick at it) and it shouldn't be too difficult for SR to tweak what we're doing and make it work.

I think we'll break our League duck at Bury and hopefully that might see the floodgates open.

It's a combination.

You make it sound like you think chances should come on a plate for him. The truth is that our right back has created two good chances for himself this season so far - one more than our goalscoring striker. Yeah, it's different, but it's just a sign that intent does play a part.

His movement in the first half was okay, and he looked for space all over the front line to no avail, but ultimately of the 2 or 3 chances we made he was on the end of none. Second half he did nothing and was rightly taken off.

Good strikers will make chances possible for themselves. He's not done that effectively yet.

Despite all you stay he still needs to receive the ball in dangerous areas which he hasn't. If he does them he possibly could create a chance himself.

Good strikers get good service and from that they have a chance laid on or have to create it themselves. The only time he has received the ball is from scraps he has won or from a long ball when he 30 yards out. Nothing bar one half chance last week in the area where it counts.

There isn't one league 1 striker that would hit double figures off the service he has received up to now. We aren't creating enough, that is not McKay's fault. Maybe it's Robinsons tactics that leave him completely isolated and pissed off.

It's a combination.

You make it sound like you think chances should come on a plate for him. The truth is that our right back has created two good chances for himself this season so far - one more than our goalscoring striker. Yeah, it's different, but it's just a sign that intent does play a part. Just looking back at the highlights, where is Mckay for Law's surge into the box? The man running in to look for the ball across was Green - Mckay was on the right wing. That's exactly where your striker should be to tap it in.

This.

So that's you qualified opinion? As a scout watching a player surely you see the bigger picture? 'his instructions are to score goals' Does that involve creating every single thing for himself!?

He is working hard enough within the areas of the pitch that he has been told too, central! Erwins work rate seems superior as he is being used as the obvious big target man & obviously told to use the full width of the pitch & to drop back on to the wings and cover when we dont have the ball. In the last 2 games he has played on the right and the left. Wide players will always do more running making their work rate look superior.

Erwin should be used more central imo but both players are obviously working under instruction. Mackay needs someone nearer to work off but that's not the formation we are playing.

He has had no service. A new striker will not score without the right service...

I see the bigger picture and in it he's not scored any goals since he arrived.

I would like to see hom score of course, but you cant take the England cricket approach like they have done with Vince in the hope things will come good eventually.

Edited by BP1960

I see the bigger picture and in it he's not scored any goals since he arrived.

I would like to see hom score of course, but you cant take the England cricket approach like they have done with Vince in the hope things will come good eventually.

You don't see the bigger picture at all!

Erwin hasn't scored, as a striker that's his job right?

Despite all you stay he still needs to receive the ball in dangerous areas which he hasn't. If he does them he possibly could create a chance himself.

Good strikers get good service and from that they have a chance laid on or have to create it themselves. The only time he has received the ball is from scraps he has won or from a long ball when he 30 yards out. Nothing bar one half chance last week in the area where it counts.

There isn't one league 1 striker that would hit double figures off the service he has received up to now. We aren't creating enough, that is not McKay's fault. Maybe it's Robinsons tactics that leave him completely isolated and pissed off.

You missed it because I edited my post after seeing the highlights, but what about Law's surge into the box last night? Where was Mckay to tap in a ball which could've been squared across? He was on the right wing and Paul Green, 33, a CM, was busting a gut to get into the space a predatory striker would've occupied.

Service is a two-way street.

Cam we afford a luxury like Mackay then ? If he needs it on a plate in dangerous areas we may as well play Glackin who can finish as well as anyone. What else does he bring to the table because for me he offers as little as Cassidy yet is still being perceived as some great goal machine.

You missed it because I edited my post after seeing the highlights, but what about Law's surge into the box last night? Where was Mckay to tap in a ball which could've been squared across? He was on the right wing and Paul Green, 33, a CM, was busting a gut to get into the space a predatory striker would've occupied.

Service is a two-way street.

He started the move!! Probably the only time he moved from the centre.

He was in a predatory position when Dunne could have crossed but shot and Croft :censored: his pants in front of goal. He has made runs in to those positions countless times.

Service is a two-way street so why hadn't anyone provided him with any. You manage to pick out the only time he isn't in and around the box as your example. It was also an example of not looking up to see Green on this occasion and providing good service into danger areas. We should have scored from that move...

Cam we afford a luxury like Mackay then ? If he needs it on a plate in dangerous areas we may as well play Glackin who can finish as well as anyone. What else does he bring to the table because for me he offers as little as Cassidy yet is still being perceived as some great goal machine.

He isn't being perceived as a goal machine. He is perceived as a guy with a decent record in front of goal he has received :censored: all supply or support. He deserves a chance before being sent to the scrap heap!

Luckily ourmanager will give him more of a chance than the fans.

This is as good as we might have wished for at this stage. It's much better than the start we had last season. There is a disconnect between midfield and and attack, but let's give it time. Get the shape right, get he defence right. build on it.

Let's not let facts get in the way eh :laught30:

We were 6th after the first 2 games and 10th after the 3rd game. We'd won 1 drawn 2 and scored twice. We got 5 points from first 3 games which would average out at 76 over a season. But let's overegg the start we've had this season. I suppose it's better than the :censored: fans were coming out with this time 12 months ago.

Let's not let facts get in the way eh :laught30:

We were 6th after the first 2 games and 10th after the 3rd game. We'd won 1 drawn 2 and scored twice. We got 5 points from first 3 games which would average out at 76 over a season. But let's overegg the start we've had this season. I suppose it's better than the :censored: fans were coming out with this time 12 months ago.

It's the direction of travel that is better this year. A lucky win against Fleetwood (nearly relegated) and a draw with Colchester (relegated) doesn't mean we were playing better then.

It's the direction of travel that is better this year. A lucky win against Fleetwood (nearly relegated) and a draw with Colchester (relegated) doesn't mean we were playing better then.

Steve Robinson wants us to be lucky according to his interview last night :grin:

Edited by boundaryblue80

You don't see the bigger picture at all!

Erwin hasn't scored, as a striker that's his job right?

He's a centre forward forager not a goal poacher, two different types of player. It's a goal poacher we need.

McKay isn't poaching any, Erwin is doing his job.

Edited by BP1960

He isn't being perceived as a goal machine. He is perceived as a guy with a decent record in front of goal he has received :censored: all supply or support. He deserves a chance before being sent to the scrap heap!

Luckily ourmanager will give him more of a chance than the fans.

He wont, the next striker signed will take his place

He's a centre forward forager not a goal poacher, two different types of player. It's a goal poacher we need.

McKay isn't poaching any, Erwin is doing his job.

So pray tell.....this goal poacher? What's he going to poach?

How do you know McKay isn't a goal poacher when we have created zero for him to 'poach' by definition a 'goal poacher'needs service!

I find it amazing the amount of people who think one player is doing his job and another isn't based on the amount of running they do?

Edited by palmer1

So pray tell.....this goal poacher? What's he going to poach?

How do you know McKay isn't a goal poacher when we have created zero for him to 'poach' by definition a 'goal poacher'needs service!

I find it amazing the amount of people who think one player is doing his job and another isn't based on the amount of running they do?

You may well be right, if he or anyone else doesn't get the service then you can blame the manager.