"Thank you for your FANTASTIC support"

Guest nonaenever

Guest nonaenever

If there is anyone on this site with any influence at Latics, please can you tell the announcer to stop this cringeworthy comment every week. The way he exaggerates "fantastic" is starting to sound like a piss take - and it's positively embarrassing when you are sat in an empty stadium which has the atmosphere of a morgue.

Guest nonaenever

I was that bored today, this was the only thing worth commenting on really. It does sound really, really stupid though. The support is NOT fantastic (even from the living dead that attend) so why use such an inappropriate adjective?

If performances like that become the norm then we'll be below 3000 in no time.

As I said in a different thread, 3 points from 12 at home, 2 goals scored in 4 at home, 0 wins in 4. Who on earth is going to carry on paying £24 to watch that?

It'd be interesting to know the difference in adults paying on the day compared to last season, i'd imagine it's lower but with the £4 difference are we making more or less than last season with people paying on the day.

Well after last week I decided not to bother today and gave my ST to a mate, good call it would seem. My soon to be ex mate (if he wastes another Saturday at BP) said it was dire, fair comment?

I can understand you not wanting to go I'm not sure it's something you should completely disown a friend for though :)

Guest nonaenever

The announcer is thanking those of us who have turned up to support the team. The fewer that there are attending, the more relatively "fantastic" the support.

Yes I know what he's doing - it just sounds so cheesy. The Chesterfield fans were laughing at the announcement. Why have to announce the "lack of attendance" figure anyway? Something like, "A big thanks to the Oldham and Chesterfield fans for coming along and supporting your local clubs today - it's really appreciated" would sound a lot more sincere. At present it just sounds like 'tongue in cheek' with that silly, OTT, exaggerated emphasis on "fantastic".

I can't hear a word he says sat in the north stand am I omy one having this admittedly small problem?

What was it like last season? The guy who has done it for last couple of seasons was here pre-season but someone else has been doing it since the season started. Been harder to hear the new lad in main stand aswell.

Edited by RobOAFC

Yes I know what he's doing - it just sounds so cheesy. The Chesterfield fans were laughing at the announcement. Why have to announce the "lack of attendance" figure anyway? Something like, "A big thanks to the Oldham and Chesterfield fans for coming along and supporting your local clubs today - it's really appreciated" would sound a lot more sincere. At present it just sounds like 'tongue in cheek' with that silly, OTT, exaggerated emphasis on "fantastic".

Because if they didn't announce it you'd whinge about that.

Guest nonaenever

Because if they didn't announce it you'd whinge about that.

No I wouldn't - sorry for daring to have a contrary opinion. Just don't like away fans laughing at such a cheesy announcement. You can observe a lot of people cringing in embarrassment every time he does it. Appreciate there are other more important things in life but it's just symptomatic of Latics' amateur approach to a lot of things we do. Try taking a step back, for once, and look at the facts. We are heading for sub 3,000 attendances. The whole matchday offering needs a complete overhaul or we are heading for oblivion. We cannot survive on crowds as low as that - simple.

No I wouldn't - sorry for daring to have a contrary opinion. Just don't like away fans laughing at such a cheesy announcement. You can observe a lot of people cringing in embarrassment every time he does it. Appreciate there are other more important things in life but it's just symptomatic of Latics' amateur approach to a lot of things we do. Try taking a step back, for once, and look at the facts. We are heading for sub 3,000 attendances. The whole matchday offering needs a complete overhaul or we are heading for oblivion. We cannot survive on crowds as low as that - simple.

The club are fair game to have a go at on many fronts. But sometimes the stick they get is unfair.

I've seen them slated on Facebook for opening up the business suite for fans pre-match because they were showing the Manchester derby. The previous complaint was that there was nowhere to go for a pre-match pint. For the last few months they've provided what was asked for.

You're upset because the PA puts a bit of zest into a standard announcement and thanks you for turning up. Then you propose not even confirming the attendance. Previous comments on here have asked for a bit more life in announcements!

I don't give a flying :censored: about Chesterfield fans smirking at our attendance. Their away following was :censored:ing awful.

Guest nonaenever

The club are fair game to have a go at on many fronts. But sometimes the stick they get is unfair.

I've seen them slated on Facebook for opening up the business suite for fans pre-match because they were showing the Manchester derby. The previous complaint was that there was nowhere to go for a pre-match pint. For the last few months they've provided what was asked for.

You're upset because the PA puts a bit of zest into a standard announcement and thanks you for turning up. Then you propose not even confirming the attendance. Previous comments on here have asked for a bit more life in announcements!

I don't give a flying :censored: about Chesterfield fans smirking at our attendance. Their away following was :censored:ing awful.

Ah - the old "Latics have a great away following" nonsense. So what ? Makes us no money. Chesterfield average around 2,000 per game more home fans than us - are you not able to figure out that we need the home support? You have your view, I have mine - I`m not a "happy clapper" - when the team does well, I`ll praise them. When they do ok, I don't comment generally. When they are abysmal (like yesterday) I will comment negatively - that's life matey. And just because my view differs from yours - do you really have to go into the gutter with your language?

P.S. our famous "away support" is already rapidly declining too. Bradford was embarrassing (and yes I know it was the third away in a row - I went to them all) - at present the early season optimism has gone - something has to happen to resurrect it - but, as usual, we are incapable of a good start so we can look forward to joining our neighbours Rochdale with very low attendances for the rest of the season.