"Thank you for your FANTASTIC support"

Guest nonaenever

Ah - the old "Latics have a great away following" nonsense. So what ? Makes us no money. Chesterfield average around 2,000 per game more home fans than us - are you not able to figure out that we need the home support? You have your view, I have mine - I`m not a "happy clapper" - when the team does well, I`ll praise them. When they do ok, I don't comment generally. When they are abysmal (like yesterday) I will comment negatively - that's life matey. And just because my view differs from yours - do you really have to go into the gutter with your language?

P.S. our famous "away support" is already rapidly declining too. Bradford was embarrassing (and yes I know it was the third away in a row - I went to them all) - at present the early season optimism has gone - something has to happen to resurrect it - but, as usual, we are incapable of a good start so we can look forward to joining our neighbours Rochdale with very low attendances for the rest of the season.

I never commented on our away support.

No I wouldn't - sorry for daring to have a contrary opinion. Just don't like away fans laughing at such a cheesy announcement. You can observe a lot of people cringing in embarrassment every time he does it. Appreciate there are other more important things in life but it's just symptomatic of Latics' amateur approach to a lot of things we do. Try taking a step back, for once, and look at the facts. We are heading for sub 3,000 attendances. The whole matchday offering needs a complete overhaul or we are heading for oblivion. We cannot survive on crowds as low as that - simple.

Maybe he could pretend there are 10,000 there? And that we've won.

And you can't blame Latics for the shift in social habits.

Back in the day you would moan about the dire performance (a :censored:e 0-0 with Orient usually) in Dreamers on Saturday night, forget about it then go again - because there was :censored: all else to do on a Saturday afternoon.

Goodness me, lower league was meant to be played by donkeys before everything got castrated.

Edited by piglinbland

Guest nonaenever

Back in the day you would moan about the dire performance (a :censored:e 0-0 with Orient usually) in Dreamers on Saturday night, forget about it then go again - because there was :censored: all else to do on a Saturday afternoon.

Goodness me, lower league was mean to be played by donkeys before everything got castrated.

Dreamers - ah the night club of the "David Bowie lookalike"! And how I wish we had those donkeys now - oh for an Alan Groves, David Shaw, Les Chapman, Carl Valentine, Graham Bell - players that were exciting to watch - perhaps football has actually gone backwards at lower league level?

Dreamers - ah the night club of the "David Bowie lookalike"! And how I wish we had those donkeys now - oh for an Alan Groves, David Shaw, Les Chapman, Carl Valentine, Graham Bell - players that were exciting to watch - perhaps football has actually gone backwards at lower league level?

For every Groves, Shaw, Chapman, Valentine and Bell we had our fair share of rubbish too - but, yeah, I'd take that over today's :censored:e anyday - even if it's for the nostalgia of simpler times (and a full head of hair, flat tummy and a long and unplayed-out future).

That said, I knew a girl who was employed part-time to hand out free tickets on Tommyfield market for certain, ahem, less than attractive fixtures (Cambridge Utd). And guess what - the crowds were still sub 4000!

I don't think it's gone backwards necessarily, not in terms of the standard of player at least, I think it's just modern football. in the days you're talking about every club no matter how poor had a flair/entertainer player(s), nowadays it's this no risk play to a system UEFA Pro Coaching license :censored:. Any flair is coached out of them and it's all about keeping a shape etc. It really has killed the entertainment value.

I think we do ourselves down about this (as with much more)

The Shropshire star when reporting on the Shrewsbury game described the Oldham support as "ferocious "

Micky Mellon said similar

Yes it's not always easy in a 0-0 game but generally those that are there do get behind the team in a very supportive style

I'm reminded also of a Guardian report back in the early 90s - "15000 at Boundary Park make as much noise as three times the number at other grounds"

Maybe they genuinely feel that those who still go after year upon year of lower table finishes do support the team fantastically well. Maybe the announcement of attendance figures isn't the time to say, "Thanks for your support which has been largely disappointing for the last decade and why don't you lot sing 'Walking down Sheepfoot Lane' anymore?". Nothing wrong in thanking people for coming or how they do it.

What does rile me is people tag go on about things being 'cringeworthy', events that they're not directly associated with making them 'cringe' as they sit there in a state of perpetually feeling awkward as life passes them by. Those people can :censored: the :censored: off.

We really could do with some kind of galvanising of the fans again. It's all gone back to being very stale atmosphere-wise.

Whether that's just better home results, a call to fans from the manager or some form of better organisation/concession from the club, it might go some way to making attending an enjoyable experience again, even for those who don't want to get involved.

£2 more than last season but £2 cheaper in advance and a hell of a lot easier to buy?

It just seems like a unnecessary hurdle.

I get why bigger clubs with a number of floaters might do it but by and large our attendances stay pretty steady through a season (at least I think they do), why bother putting people out?

Can't they just offer £20 pay on the day in the RRE it's not like we're struggling for seats.

Going back to the attendances again I take all those fans who were supposed to be away on holiday in August and were given as a reason for poor crowds at the start of the season haven't actually gone on holiday but have just stopped attending.

£24 is having an impact, not sure they will but I would be having a rethink with that one.

£2 more than last season but £2 cheaper in advance and a hell of a lot easier to buy?

But it's gone from "about £20" to "about £25". That's a big difference psychologically. Illogical maybe but it's how many peoples thinking works.

And rightly or wrongly, somebody who might have decided to go on Saturday morning, or is suddenly able to go when they hadn't been, will begrudge paying £4 more than they could have done the day before. To the extent they won't bother. Especially someone with a printer.

None of this minutiae would matter if we were doing really well &/or selling out but we're not and it should have been thought through more.

And what's actually in it for the club when we're talking about how just 1000 to 1500 supporters (assuming 2000 ST holders?) buy their tickets - surely it makes too little difference to anything (financially or logistically) to be worth bothering?

If 5,000 or 10,000 people bought tickets online as opposed to turning up on the day I'd understand it...

They're playing with fire again with yet another section of supporters.

Edited by HarryBosch

But it's gone from "about £20" to "about £25". That's a big difference psychologically. Illogical maybe but it's how many peoples thinking works.

And rightly or wrongly, somebody who might have decided to go on Saturday morning, or is suddenly able to go when they hadn't been, will begrudge paying £4 more than they could have done the day before. To the extent they won't bother. Especially someone with a printer.

None of this minutiae would matter if we were doing really well &/or selling out but we're not and it should have been thought through more.

And what's actually in it for the club when we're talking about how just 1000 to 1500 supporters (assuming 2000 ST holders?) buy their tickets - surely it makes too little difference to anything (financially or logistically) to be worth bothering?

If 5,000 or 10,000 people bought tickets online as opposed to turning up on the day I'd understand it...

They're playing with fire again with yet another section of supporters.

It shouldn't be a penny over £20 anywhere in this league.