Bolton (A)

But they genuinely were good. Nothing to do with their name. They have plenty of good footballers.

If they're definitely going to get into the play-offs how can they possibly be :censored:?

Because they will probably play better than that this season and also add to their squad in January. Against us though, I thought they weren't that good but gladly accepted the mistakes we gifted them. I can certainly understand why they've been struggling at home until we rocked up.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We should have been doing what 23 other clubs in the third division were doing in the summer and that was adding to a squad.

All those clubs apart from Sheff Utd and Bolton should be close to our level but we are now miles behind the likes of Rochdale & Bury etc

OK There are oddities like Scunthorpe who are very well funded but that is only for a short element of time

Trouble is, next summer all but two of the squad is out of contract again, if I'm not mistaken. The only players we can pick up in January are loanees, replacing loanees who leave. Very few players become out of contract in January, therefore we either pay for a player, which is out of the question, or take on someone another club wants to get rid of.

Bury are quite well funded

Bury though are not historically a club of a higher level than OAFC. What about Wimbledon, Oxford, Northampton, Shrewsbury, Fleetwood etc.

The vast majority of teams within this crappy 3rd division are not from clubs of a greater standing than OAFC, most do not get much greater support, most do not historically have a better infrastructure, most do not have our (Royle) history. We should be competing.

Edited by ChaddySmoker

This kind of comment undoes you.

If you go into every game with the idea that the opposition are equally as :censored: it skews your logic. Blatantly Bolton are a good side at this level with technical players and a manager who knows how to organise a team properly.

While I agree with a lot of BB80's post, I can't deny this.

Why is it not though? Who and what are we comparing ourselves against? Why should anyone be thinking we should be doing better?

Who do *you* think we should be comparing ourselves against?

When is it acceptable to not think we can improve?

Who do *you* think we should be comparing ourselves against?

When is it acceptable to not think we can improve?

I don't think we should be comparing ourselves to anyone given the unique summer we just had.

It's ok to aspire to be better, do think it needs to be tempered with some realism of the here and now though and we've got no divine right to expect it to happen.

I don't think we should be comparing ourselves to anyone given the unique summer we just had.

It's ok to aspire to be better, do think it needs to be tempered with some realism of the here and now though and we've got no divine right to expect it to happen.

Ah, I see. So you must live in the World where Robbo thinks it's alright to go in the press and say that by rights we should be bottom of the league (like he did a few weeks ago). We are all expecting a level of being :censored:. You sir, you must enjoy it at the bottom of the barrel!

Given where we were in July I don't think it is wrong to say staying in the league would be a achievement.

But then I'm one of those who are 'happy to accept mediocrity' whatever that means.

It means if you're not slagging off the manager/corney/the team then you're burying your headin the sand/you're up Corney's arse/you're a moron

This kind of comment undoes you.

If you go into every game with the idea that the opposition are equally as :censored: it skews your logic. Blatantly Bolton are a good side at this level with technical players and a manager who knows how to organise a team properly.

But he's right....Bolton were average at best but beat us with ease. We wouldn't have scored if we'd still been playing now and I was absolutely bored :censored:less. As an attacking force we are abysmal, Robinson still doesn't know his best 11 but he'd better hurry up and decide because the way things are going he's taking us down!!

Dont you think that we should be comparing our summer to that of the the other 23 clubs in the third division?

If we do that then we should definitely finish bottom. We had a pretty rubbish and unsettled summer on many fronts compared to the rest of the league, the biggest hope was that Robinson was an above average manager that could galvanise the squad to be greater than the sum of it's parts. Sadly I'm not convinced that will happen.

Better to be realistic than deluded, no?

I not convinced aiming at midtable should be classed as delusional.

As for the bad summer - some seem to be implying that it was just something that happened to the club. It was poor management at the top of the club that put us in that ridiculous position.

I not convinced aiming at midtable should be classed as delusional.

As for the bad summer - some seem to be implying that it was just something that happened to the club. It was poor management at the top of the club that put us in that ridiculous position.

I think it was always the plan to press the reset button, be it through choice or necessity.

Did we lose Sheridan because of it or did he want out regardless? Who knows but it was a huge loss.