Scunthorpe v OLDHAM 20th Nov.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't go to the game but anyone who can't see that we are improving is blind. The management team clearly have little money to play with. Let us hope some decent deals are struck in January after we limp there in the relegation zone.

Our team, our manager need our support. Shouting abuse will not help!

Watched Lincoln come from 2 0 down to beat top of the NL Forest Green away from home yesterday. That game isn't a banana skin it will be a hard game to win although our 'strikers' have been better against lower league opposition.

Didn't go to the game but anyone who can't see that we are improving is blind. The management team clearly have little money to play with. Let us hope some decent deals are struck in January after we limp there in the relegation zone.

Our team, our manager need our support. Shouting abuse will not help!

Watched Lincoln come from 2 0 down to beat top of the NL Forest Green away from home yesterday. That game isn't a banana skin it will be a hard game to win although our 'strikers' have been better against lower league opposition.

I have issue with us being 'improving'.

I must've missed Rochdale and Bristol Rovers...

We've not scored in the last four league games.

Yesterday was enthusing from reports, but we're sporadic and reliant on one or two individuals to play well or we're toss. A whole new strikeforce required - January can't come quick enough.

One thing lost on a lot of people is how on earth is Robinson's going to appeal to any striker out there that a team who scores every three hours is the team for them? Sheridan came in and knew immediately what we needed and had the players lined up to achieve that but I'm not sure that exists in the current set up and in any case were not exactly loaded, Gerrard was a gamble that Corney took last season but he wasn't playing for buttons and anyone we want to bring in now with ability will only come at a price.

One thing lost on a lot of people is how on earth is Robinson's going to appeal to any striker out there that a team who scores every three hours is the team for them? Sheridan came in and knew immediately what we needed and had the players lined up to achieve that but I'm not sure that exists in the current set up and in any case were not exactly loaded, Gerrard was a gamble that Corney took last season but he wasn't playing for buttons and anyone we want to bring in now with ability will only come at a price.

Someone will want to play for us someone who is kicking his heels on the bench somewhere who we offer first team football will see us as an opportunity don't worry about that I'm more worried if we will be able to offer a player or a club the financial package.

I just hope that the manager has 2 strikers as a massive priority in the January window, but with the Chron talking about a holding midfielder and a centre half as potential targets then I fear he doesn't.

The 'goals against' column isn't too bad, so there's not much point in bolstering areas of the team that are working quite well when we have an absolutely woeful strike force!

Save the money that we would waste on useless squad players and put it towards decent strikers, without goals we are simply not going to win enough games and relegation will be the end result. Simple!

IF we dumped Robinson and I very much doubt we would at this stage, what's the odds on Corney courting Ryan Giggs?

Giggs is desperate to manage and stated he would even drop down to League One.

It's the sort of gamble Corney relishes; big name in the geographical area, would definitely add a few to the gate, would definitely generate immense media coverage for the club and Giggs would most likely do it for free. For Giggs it's local, he could dip into the Man Utd youth team and entice some kids who won't need to travel far and even, dare I say it, bring Scholes in as a coach.

I could see it happening if we dump Robinson. It gives the Class of 92 a chance to succeed at a level higher than Salford City with no need to invest financially themselves.

Stranger things have happened at OL1.....

Guest nonaenever

Didn't go to the game but anyone who can't see that we are improving is blind.

I`m sorry but I can't agree. Did you witness our recent performances against Wimbledon (first hour) Rochdale, Bristol Rovers in the league? Awful - and way off the level of performance we showed at the start of the season (Millwall aside). So, that's not improving it's regressing.

The relative success of the FA Cup against Donny and Checkatrade at Blackburn has diverted attention somewhat from our league form.

If we keep up our current scoring ratio - we will be relegated. What worries me is things like Robbo saying McKay is one of the best finishers he has worked with! He might be able to knock a few in via the Scottish Pub Football League but how long does he continue with blind faith down in a proper league?

In isolation, the first half yesterday was good - but it's not "in isolation" and it's a results business and we clearly aren't getting them. It's no use being "up for it" for a game and a half against the league leaders (home and away) and then playing like The Dog and Duck B team against lesser teams at home (questions the ability of the manager to motivate them?)

It's a major gamble giving him a window - will be interesting to see how it all pans out.

Oh - Hands On - to put your mind at rest, most fans do offer full support at the games etc (I usually lose my voice for a bit supporting not heckling) - but no harm discussing and venting a few feelings online surely?

I`m sorry but I can't agree. Did you witness our recent performances against Wimbledon (first hour) Rochdale, Bristol Rovers in the league? Awful - and way off the level of performance we showed at the start of the season (Millwall aside). So, that's not improving it's regressing.

The relative success of the FA Cup against Donny and Checkatrade at Blackburn has diverted attention somewhat from our league form.

If we keep up our current scoring ratio - we will be relegated. What worries me is things like Robbo saying McKay is one of the best finishers he has worked with! He might be able to knock a few in via the Scottish Pub Football League but how long does he continue with blind faith down in a proper league?

In isolation, the first half yesterday was good - but it's not "in isolation" and it's a results business and we clearly aren't getting them. It's no use being "up for it" for a game and a half against the league leaders (home and away) and then playing like The Dog and Duck B team against lesser teams at home (questions the ability of the manager to motivate them?)

It's a major gamble giving him a window - will be interesting to see how it all pans out.

Oh - Hands On - to put your mind at rest, most fans do offer full support at the games etc (I usually lose my voice for a bit supporting not heckling) - but no harm discussing and venting a few feelings online surely?

Scunthorpe are talking today of the importance of winning games where you've played poorly. We may have been poor against Wimbledon (didn't go so don't know) but we created 6 very good chances. 3 in each half. With better strikers we'd probably have won the game and been saying the same as Scunthorpe.

If we do sack him and the new guy has us in a similar position come March do we sack him too? Where does it stop?

We're a striker or two short of putting away these chances and being in with a shot of winning games again. If we were creating nothing I'd be more worried, but he deserves the opportunity to rectify the striker situation.

It's all well and good coming out with all these clichés talking about it being a 'results business', but what's the solution?

If we sack Robinson we have the same useless strikers we had before. I don't subscribe to his delusion that we have battered most teams but we're generally in most games for long enough that we have a chance of winning them.

Guest nonaenever

It's all well and good coming out with all these clichés talking about it being a 'results business', but what's the solution?

If we sack Robinson we have the same useless strikers we had before. I don't subscribe to his delusion that we have battered most teams but we're generally in most games for long enough that we have a chance of winning them.

Well - it's up to the manager to get the best out of what he has available. Take Poleon, for example, 9 goals now for Wimbledon. The manager (and coaching staff) have clearly done something right to get the best out of him. Robinson has to prove to us that he can do similar with his players. Whether that's tactics and style of play, who knows. We have looked pretty sterile in most games we have played at home.

Guest nonaenever

How many 'tics' today?

Worst turnout I`ve seen at Scunthorpe in recent years - hard to estimate - 300 to 400 max? This is what is worrying. Supporters are deserting us in droves - both home and away. There is definitely a sense of doom, gloom and despondency and it is going to take a huge effort to try and galvanise supporters in the current circumstances. People are squabbling amongst themselves. It's not healthy and it's not nice at the moment.

Well - it's up to the manager to get the best out of what he has available. Take Poleon, for example, 9 goals now for Wimbledon. The manager (and coaching staff) have clearly done something right to get the best out of him. Robinson has to prove to us that he can do similar with his players. Whether that's tactics and style of play, who knows. We have looked pretty sterile in most games we have played at home.

You simply cannot account for your main striker missing an open goal from 5 yards out.

The lad clearly has no confidence in league games, and there's only so much a manager can say or do. You can't replicate a proper match in training.

Some reckon Flynn's our best finisher yet he missed a fairly simple chance himself - why didn't he welly that half volley home instead of placing it?

Players have to be accountable for those misses yesterday.

Watched the highlights back green was non existent and thinking back he did nothing during the game either. Really not seeing what he brings to the party.

McKay will never have an easier chance in football.

Considering Robbo says we are solid at set pieces for their goal I spotted 2 players unmarked from the corner which generated the goal.

Ladapo shouldn't be anywhere near league 1 football. His touch is non existent the pass to Flynn in the second half shows everything you need to know.

1st half their was only us going to win that game but a half time team talk looks to be the difference.

Edited by adamoafc

Guest nonaenever

You simply cannot account for your main striker missing an open goal from 5 yards out.

The lad clearly has no confidence in league games, and there's only so much a manager can say or do. You can't replicate a proper match in training.

If you're a good manager, you drop him and give Osei or someone, anyone, a chance. Mckay has had chance after chance - it's clear personal relationships/favouritism is coming into play. Just posted elsewhere that someone tweeted after the Scunny game that is the 12th league game we have failed to score in so far this season. Last season (and that was considered a very bad one) the tweet says we failed to score in 12 league league games ALL season. If that's right - then it shows how very precarious our position is now. Almost indefensible from a manager's perspective, surely?