Latics v Oxford game chat 5/8/17

1 hour ago, oafc1955 said:

Just listened to Shez's interview where he says that we didn't deserve to lose the game.......what game was he watching?

He's talking total bollocks!

Trying to put a positive spin on it but for those of us who were there it doesn't ring true. It was a reasonable display until their first goal (played onside by Clarke) and from that point on we lost discipline. What was most disappointing for me was the lack of technical skills from one or two and the wrong formation played by Sheridan. 

We were second best for a good portion of the game and missed the few chances we had. 

I exoect to to see a much changed eleven by the Wigan game.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why didn't Brian Wilson track the goalscorer instead of appealing for offside ?

Some slack defending for the second goal and the way Gerrard was beaten for pace at the end is a concern .

On the plus side the keeper looked sharp.

That miss by Davies was a concern, you are not going to get many clear cut chances like that a season and some one so experienced should have buried it. 

That last chance by Oxford was so selfish, it should have been passed back to the guy on the penalty spot for an open goal.

6 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Behave......he doesn't have to call them shite...just be honest about it, I thought Shez, according to the players, is supposed to tell it as it is!

He said we weren't clever enough with the 1st goal and we should not have been in the position we were and that people weren't communicating and tracking men for 2nd. Said they were cleverer with ball than us up top end. Basically said we weren't good enough without directly saying "we weren't good enough" 

3 hours ago, frizzell54 said:

On a slightly different tack I was a bit concerned about the amount of irate gesturing between players and particularly the bench.  Maybe nothing, but to loose a dressing room at this early stage would not be good.

No, it's a good thing, it means they care.

3 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

If Holloway plays then he plays as a lone striker for me.

I agree.He is not Imo an out and out striker.His hold up play is good and I would play him like we did away at Swindon for example where he was brilliant and helped us get a hard earned draw and away at Wigan a couple of seasons ago which stand out.

At home I would play Duffus and Davies up front in the main.Get two fast wingers who can cross the ball and a decent midfielder and let's get the damn ball in the net and get rid of soft tippy tappy midfielders who can't tackle or stop runs straight down the middle which Oxford did without changing gear.

11 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Admittedly I didn't see the last twenty minutes but Banks wasn't the worst player on the pitch, the stick seems a bit unjustified.

He was defo trying harder, but if you take every free kick and every corner you are more in the spotlight.

2 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

Behave......he doesn't have to call them shite...just be honest about it, I thought Shez, according to the players, is supposed to tell it as it is!

What he tells the media and what he says in the confounds of the dressing room can and indeed should be 2 different things.

What he said was to play down the defeat to the media. In the dressing room he needs to and probably did tell a few of them that, that wasn't good enough.

Edited by GlossopLatic

2 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

What a manager says to the press and what he says in the dressing room are two completely different things... don't remember Fergie saying he'd kicked a boot at David Beckham before it was leaked 

5 minutes ago, Buckshawlatic said:

What a manager says to the press and what he says in the dressing room are two completely different things... don't remember Fergie saying he'd kicked a boot at David Beckham before it was leaked 

A more likely scene;

17 hours ago, LaticsLegend said:

Expecting to see Welsh in but I just hope hes not another Green.

Yet to see Green snarl at anyone or start a game wanting to boot the shit out of anything moving. I think they're pretty far apart.

14 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Green didn't put a foot right, Holloway awful, McLaughlin anonymous.

Agree with bother Green and Holloway (latter seemed to sulk as Game went on) but Mcglaughin was far from anonymous - he ran at them time and time again - his crossing unfortunately was awful