I don't understand...

3 minutes ago, Stagger Lee said:

Holloway is beginning to annoy me, he spends his time either leaning too hard against a defender that he gives a free kick away or the defender is smart and moves quickly away causing Holloway to be off balance and fall over. He needs to try and concentrate on the ball first and foremost rather than just always engage the defenders in a battle.

Classic Holloway

8 hours ago, rudemedic said:

Ousmane Fane.

I'd have Banks in the team ahead of Fane every day of the week. I'd have Mo Farah in the team ahead of Ousmane Fane, as he can actually trap and pass the football, and a tall long-distance runner ahead of Ousmane Fane as he'd be a better runner, as good in the air and no worse with the ball.

Running around like a headless chicken on a football pitch doesn't make you a footballer.

Applauding here pal...

1 hour ago, Stagger Lee said:

Holloway is beginning to annoy me, he spends his time either leaning too hard against a defender that he gives a free kick away or the defender is smart and moves quickly away causing Holloway to be off balance and fall over. He needs to try and concentrate on the ball first and foremost rather than just always engage the defenders in a battle.

Some one to one coaching from  Tony P could help him.

Edited by stevesidg

Holloway does sometimes need to concentrate more more on just attacking the ball rather than the battle but there are also a hell of a lot of times when he can do nothing because either the defender is blatantly fouling him or he has no support from a blue shirt. Even when he flicks it on, most of the time, there is nobody running onto it

Holloway lacks support. He's played up front on his own he needs a player to run off him, Davies won't do that. Tope would, or even the young lad Fawns. Not seen enough of Duffus yet. 

Ollie Banks- I just can't warm to him. I don't really know what he does to be honest. He has no work rate, no ability to tackle can only pass if he's smacking it 40 yards with Hollywood explosions going off (In his head) as he does it, doesn't head the ball because it will ruin his fringe, no thought put into his corners just hit and hope. He's playing in a position where he needs to be the engine of the team. He can't do that job. He needs benching. I'd play Fane in there instead or new signing which hopefully will appear soon.

Edited by ChrisRichard

I thought I'd been overly critical of Banks maybe previously. Watched a lot of what he did yesterday and realised I'd probably been kind. He shouldn't be a professional footballer. I could tolerate him being a pansy if he did other things really well. He doesn't. His worst crime is hiding behind players. He plays a pass then doesn't move into space. Numerous times yesterday he gave the ball out wide to Dummigan or McLaughlin when they had Wigan players round them and didn't show for the return ball. No movement at all. So the lads who received the pass had no options and lost the ball. He's not the only one guilty of that but he's definitely the main offender. 

I don't understand how appallingly bad we really are....our inability and or reluctance to pass and move is just completely baffling. Just what do they do in training as these are the simple basics of the game.

We've played 3 matches against promotion favourites, possible play off contenders and probable relegation candidates and have been second best in every game all over the park.

It beggars belief that we can seemingly work on systems and tactics in training all week and then put in such an abject performance as we saw yesterday.

We haven't dominated a game of football, home or away for as long as I can remember and just cannot see it changing anytime soon with this group of players and coaching staff.

As someone said earlier we are already 9 points behind Shrewsbury and looking at the league even at this early stage I am struggling to find 3 teams who are likely to finish below us!!

25 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

I don't understand how appallingly bad we really are....our inability and or reluctance to pass and move is just completely baffling. Just what do they do in training as these are the simple basics of the game.

We've played 3 matches against promotion favourites, possible play off contenders and probable relegation candidates and have been second best in every game all over the park.

It beggars belief that we can seemingly work on systems and tactics in training all week and then put in such an abject performance as we saw yesterday.

We haven't dominated a game of football, home or away for as long as I can remember and just cannot see it changing anytime soon with this group of players and coaching staff.

As someone said earlier we are already 9 points behind Shrewsbury and looking at the league even at this early stage I am struggling to find 3 teams who are likely to finish below us!!

The one thing that hacks me off about professional footballers ( and not just ours) is when they cannot get the basics right.

Pass and move. Offer for the ball. Close down. Put the foot in where needed. Anticipate the movement from the opposition. Support the man on the ball. Make runs into space. And so it goes on..yesterday when we had the ball, Wigan closed us down quickly. When they had the ball we backed off.

Back to basics John and start to build confidence.

Edited by TheBigDog

2 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Holloway does sometimes need to concentrate more more on just attacking the ball rather than the battle but there are also a hell of a lot of times when he can do nothing because either the defender is blatantly fouling him or he has no support from a blue shirt. Even when he flicks it on, most of the time, there is nobody running onto it

"Flicks it on" ....a Clayton Playing Fields tactic.....as a defender there is nothing better than watching their centre forward pointlessly helping a ball on to your goalkeeper. League one is a high standard professional league were " flicking on" is giving the ball away

1 hour ago, oafc1955 said:

Just to make your job harder....we need to find 4 !

2 hours ago, Magister said:

"Flicks it on" ....a Clayton Playing Fields tactic.....as a defender there is nothing better than watching their centre forward pointlessly helping a ball on to your goalkeeper. League one is a high standard professional league were " flicking on" is giving the ball away

Suppose you'd tell players to never pass into space then as well?

First time watching us this season, i couldn't actually figure out what we were trying to do. We seemed most of a threat (and i use the word 'threat' at its most generous) when playing down the flanks, surely that was the aim based on the team selection. McLaughlin and at points Kyeremeh seemed willing, and able to run at their defence. However with only one striker up front who was rarely making runs into the box it often resulted in a pass backwards and, frustratingly ended up back with our keeper. I thought we looked less awful when Dufus came on. He showed a willingness to run at their defence and i recall one ball being crossed in by him. Osei at least showed effort as well.

Having said that we spent far too long trying to play through the middle, lots of pointless passes in our own half.

I also thought Gerrard was awful, looks half a stone overweight also. Jamie Stott might be worth a run in the team. At least we could find a pair of shorts that'd fit him.