Ex players and that

23 hours ago, dannyboy55555 said:

I think that's right but you cant include Sharp in that. Our highest top flight goalscorer.

I'll avoid repeating my usual view on Sharp, but four of those goals came in one game.  About one game in 4 he'd show up.  Other than that he was a lazy shithouse.

12 minutes ago, JoeP said:

I'll avoid repeating my usual view on Sharp, but four of those goals came in one game.  About one game in 4 he'd show up.  Other than that he was a lazy shithouse.

5 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

I call bollocks!!

I agree with @oafc1955 - Sharp led the line well and was a very clever footballer in my opinion  - he moved to us when he was 31 and past his best but he still gave us three decent seasons 👍

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TheBigDog said:

I agree with @oafc1955 - Sharp led the line well and was a very clever footballer in my opinion  - he moved to us when he was 31 and past his best but he still gave us three decent seasons 👍

Not clever enough to score from a yard out at Wembley, the line of which our current decline goes right back to...

7 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Royle winning the FA Cup for Everton and getting Citeh (twice) promoted  showed he was a decent manager even when he was supported with a war chest. Signed some good players such as Olney (who would’ve been sold on for a bigger fee than £750k), Dunc Ferguson and Gary Speed. Worth noting too that he took over at Ipswich In administration and took them to the play-offs twice.

Oldham in the top flight was new waters not just for us, but for him. He was forced to adapt us from a club that played “the Royle way” in attractive football with tenacious players to one that could mix it on a regular basis with the big boys. We achieved that mostly, with some hairy moments. The only way we’d have probably had a longer run at it would be getting a Joe Kinnear or Allardyce in and changing it into a team of ‘orrible bastards playing ‘orrible, but effective football. We can see what the fanbase thought of that when we brought in Ronnie Moore ten years later.

So anyway, Royle made some mistakes with players (MacDonald, Kilcline) but I still think he had an eye for good players with cash on the hip. It’s a bit of a myth that he was shit as soon as he was given money to burn. When he left we should’ve gone for Neil Warnock then rather than two years later when Lees had lost total interest.

city were skint when he was there his best signing were wheeler dealers like Huckerby, Tiatto, Morrison when he got money he spunked it ask a city fan. 

everton lve heard the same from when lve met them watchin England. 

both clubs do love him tho. and rightly so, the guy is a Legend 😍

2 hours ago, JoeP said:

Cheers. Means a lot. 

Can you pick another moment where our course changed? 

Olney ending his career prematurely had a bigger impact for us imo. With him in the forward line for the remainder of the season would’ve seen us to enough points. The cup was a distraction but the failure to score enough goals was the real reason.

14 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Olney ending his career prematurely had a bigger impact for us imo. With him in the forward line for the remainder of the season would’ve seen us to enough points. The cup was a distraction but the failure to score enough goals was the real reason.

In good form in the league and lower mid-table going into the FA Cup semi, then Sharp misses the sitter to take us to the Final, Hughes does his thing at the other end and we don't win another game for the rest of the season and go down.  It destroyed the team being that close to getting to Final.  No doubt about it.  Olney was one of many "if buts and maybes" for that season, but there was nowt so obvious as that semi-final.

Sharp scores, we continue our run and stay up, we win the Cup (having already done the double over Chelsea in the league) and maybe history tells a different story...for a while, anyway.

Edited by JoeP

34 minutes ago, JoeP said:

In good form in the league and lower mid-table going into the FA Cup semi, then Sharp misses the sitter to take us to the Final, Hughes does his thing at the other end and we don't win another game for the rest of the season and go down.  It destroyed the team being that close to getting to Final.  No doubt about it.  Olney was one of many "if buts and maybes" for that season, but there was nowt so obvious as that semi-final.

Sharp scores, we continue our run and stay up, we win the Cup (having already done the double over Chelsea in the league) and maybe history tells a different story...for a while, anyway.

You could point to several other moments during that game. Pointon shocking clearance when under no pressure at all allowed United to get a throw in on the edge of our area. Go see Rick Holdens autobiography he says as much. You could also point to Fleming doing more to put Hughes off. 

I think you are allowing Sharps managerial record to cloud your judgement of Sharp the player.

As I write this I've just watched Sheffield Wednesday score in the last minute of extra time to win promotion from almost the same spot that Hughes scored. Barnsley we know how you feel

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

You could point to several other moments during that game. Pointon shocking clearance when under no pressure at all allowed United to get a throw in on the edge of our area. Go see Rick Holdens autobiography he says as much. You could also point to Fleming doing more to put Hughes off. 

I think you are allowing Sharps managerial record to cloud your judgement of Sharp the player.

I'm really not (don't get me wrong he was fucking shit at managing as well).  Wembley miss, OG against Sheffield Wednesday, embarrassing penalties against Wimbledon and Leeds.  He was never that popular with the fans, as I recall - one that's stuck always stuck in my head is a fan stood right behind me screaming "Earn your money, Sharp!".

We could've re-grouped from Pointon's clearance, maybe Flemming could have done better - but neither would've mattered is Sharp had've tapped in from a yard out.  I've read Rick Holden's autobiography - can't recall if he even mentions Sharp's miss, which strikes me as bizarre given it was his quick-thinking free-kick which set Sharp up.

3 hours ago, JoeP said:

Cheers. Means a lot. 

Can you pick another moment where our course changed? 

Apologies but I don’t mean to have a go at you - it’s just that, in my view,  it’s a popular misconception to pick a single moment when things changed.

It’s not about a single moment, an individual error, a moment that causes a course or path to change - it just isn’t, 

Any decline in a team’s fortunes is a gradual thing, a combination of many different factors. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Hallworth could have at least tried to save it...

3 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Apologies but I don’t mean to have a go at you - it’s just that, in my view,  it’s a popular misconception to pick a single moment when things changed.

It’s not about a single moment, an individual error, a moment that causes a course or path to change - it just isn’t, 

Any decline in a team’s fortunes is a gradual thing, a combination of many different factors. 

No apologies necessary.

Of course there's factors (and people!) that have contributed to the clubs decline since then, but you can trace when things started to go wrong back to that moment. 

Just now, JoeP said:

No apologies necessary.

Of course there's factors (and people!) that have contributed to the clubs decline since then, but you can trace when things started to go wrong back to that moment. 

Absolutely 100% no.

Lets agree to disagree. 

• Like 1

Connor Ripley tweeting about us again, we've been lucky with keepers over the years and even going back to Goram my first ever fave player have had some great players between the sticks but this man had more love from our fans than any other player I've known, I know he was outstanding in League 1 last season and we have a totally adequate keeper for this level in Norman but I'd just love us to bring Connor back home, it would be a huge statement of intent to bring in a top quality player from the EFL, available, lives local and loves the club, it's almost a no brainer for me.

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

Connor Ripley tweeting about us again, we've been lucky with keepers over the years and even going back to Goram my first ever fave player have had some great players between the sticks but this man had more love from our fans than any other player I've known, I know he was outstanding in League 1 last season and we have a totally adequate keeper for this level in Norman but I'd just love us to bring Connor back home, it would be a huge statement of intent to bring in a top quality player from the EFL, available, lives local and loves the club, it's almost a no brainer for me.

whats he sayin?

Just now, Monty Burns said:

whats he sayin?

Just a throwback to his 2 penalty saves in injury time. There was nothing to it other than him sharing a memory. 
Would love him back, but realistically it’s not happening. 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, daniel said:

Just a throwback to his 2 penalty saves in injury time. There was nothing to it other than him sharing a memory. 
Would love him back, but realistically it’s not happening. 

yeah l love Magnus but ld love to have conor in the box!!!*

*yes it was deliberate