Ex players and that

5 hours ago, penrhyn said:

Well i am very happy to hear that , it is indeed excellent news . I was just reporting what I had read on the other forum  as there was no mention on here . Didnt mean to upset anybody.

Sorry if it came over a bit OTT. It was an awkward phone call to say the least last night asking about his presence or not. Anyway good news this morning.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ackey said:

Thanks, it was at Maine Road so would have missed that. Denis Law subbed by Barney Daniels who had just been signed from Ashton United. I can see why he called it a day.

I went to the Hearts game at home and remember a tartan army of their fans marauding down Sheepfoot Lane before the game, It was like something out of Clockwork Orange.

11, 000 crowd too for a night match.

I seem to recollect Alan Groves running them ragged,

https://www.londonhearts.com/scores/games/197409171.html

Edited by BP1960
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

David Okagbue signs for Walsall - anther one who failed to impress much when with us but now finds himself playing in League 2

Thought he was quite good and surprised when he got sidelined.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Dickie Down said:

Thought he was quite good and surprised when he got sidelined.

He was, but the coaching staff at the time didn’t have a fucking clue!! 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

David Okagbue signs for Walsall - anther one who failed to impress much when with us but now finds himself playing in League 2

He did well for us, being the youngest in an Unsworth XI he was the first to get them blame and then the chop when the results were poor.

2 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

No bells whatsoever

On 7/4/2024 at 5:26 PM, Ackey said:

1974–75 Texaco Cup - Wikipedia

Apparently we topped our group! #BigTime

Another link here: https://www.citytilidie.com/latest/oldham-texaco-cup-1974-to-75/

Won away at Blackpool in the qualifying group, and only narrowly beaten at Man City. A pity we couldn't transfer that away form to league games that season (0 wins from 21 fixtures, only Scunthorpe had a worse record in the entire Football League, and they finished bottom of Div 4).

Posted (edited)

On the subject of the earlier posts about Keith Bebbington, I'm glad as well that he's still okay - a very talented winger who served the club well for six years and could have played at a higher level (indeed had already done so). One memory I have of him is from the start of the 1970-71 season, when he stepped out onto the pitch sporting a Mexican or South American style moustache. I think this might have been a conscious attempt to resemble Roberto Rivelino, who wore the number 11 shirt for the all-conquering Brazil side in the World Cup a couple of months earlier, and whom most football fans abroad were seeing for the first time. The resemblance was quite a close one if you look at some old photos.

Edited by Summerdeep

1 hour ago, Summerdeep said:

One memory I have of him is from the start of the 1970-71 season, when he stepped out onto the pitch sporting a Mexican or South American style moustache. I think this might have been a conscious attempt to resemble Roberto Rivelino, who wore the number 11 shirt for the all-conquering Brazil side in the World Cup a couple of months earlier, and whom most football fans abroad were seeing for the first time. The resemblance was quite a close one if you look at some old photos.

I will try to ask him when I see him again-strangely this is one of my early recollections of him.

On 7/6/2024 at 11:22 PM, diggleblue said:

Colne 0:Alty 1 

Today's friendly and yes Nuttall didn't score surprise surprise.

Luamba and McEleny for Salford. 

23 hours ago, oafcmetty said:

There's another youth released by Latics who should play for Stockport against us on Saturday. Cody Johnson a midfielder doing really well I understand. 

Just been watching the Class of 92 full time on Sky featuring Matt Smith at Salford. 

Also showed a well taken goal by our new signing Harry Charsley when at Port Vale. Good to see a midfielder in the penalty area. 

Highlights of the Latics home match v Salford shown including the AL pitch invasion. 

Edited by BP1960

16 hours ago, BP1960 said:

There's another youth released by Latics who should play for Stockport against us on Saturday. Cody Johnson a midfielder doing really well I understand. 

Are you sure? Says he rose through Stockport ranks on his profile for Stockport? 

3 hours ago, adamoafc said:

Are you sure? Says he rose through Stockport ranks on his profile for Stockport? 

Yes spoke to his family. After the Oldham rejection (apparently for being too small) Stockport took him on and he loves it there, 5' 9" and 11st so not too small now I'd say. 

He still lives in Oldham. 

Edited by BP1960