Next Oldham Manager?

9 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

If he is (and I think he is), it'll make a mockery of the whole interviewing process cos he's been knocking around for weeks anyway...

It does and it also mean Mark Moisley went of radio and blatantly lied (not unusual from the club I know).Even though it's only 2 games it really feels we are on to something with Wellens.

7 minutes ago, Goal89 said:

We at the very least need to keep Wellens on in some capacity.

Absolutely but I'm sure he won't be short of offers elsewhere. Whatever they may be.

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely RW deserves a chance here - he has overseen two wins against the odds from games which realistically we were going to lose against "stronger sides".

The playing style has been more energetic and listening to his interviews he has a real desire for the job.

Give him a shot rather than an unknown foreigner - both inexperienced as managers in this league, but RW surely has a head start and has given us all some optimism. 

Surely RW deserves a chance here - he has overseen two wins against the odds from games which realistically we were going to lose against "stronger sides".

The playing style has been more energetic and listening to his interviews he has a real desire for the job.

Give him a shot rather than an unknown foreigner - both inexperienced as managers in this league, but RW surely has a head start and has given us all some optimism. 

Just now, robboman said:

Imagine RW is in charge for 6 games, wins all 6 and doesn’t get the gig

absolute rage scenes

I would imagine with the bury game postponed the Crewe game midweek will be his last game before a decision is made.

3 out of 3 should be enough under normal circumstances but we all know Latics don't do normal.

1 minute ago, palmer1 said:

I would imagine with the bury game postponed the Crewe game midweek will be his last game before a decision is made.

3 out of 3 should be enough under normal circumstances but we all know Latics don't do normal.

Just get the feeling it doesn’t matter what he does, feels like the decision is already made... which would be a massive shame 

Just now, dec666 said:

Which interview was that?

On the Channel 5 programme.  

He looks pissed off when asked about Seedorf and said it's up to the owners and he did say 'and Simon Corney'.  I didn't read too much into that though.

Murray reaffirmed that Seedorf was a friend of owners and has no interest in the job.

Wellens deserves alot of credit for holding this together for the last week. I'd like to see him stay on and continue his footballing coaching apprenticeship and perhaps we will get to the stage in 2 years time (we usually get fed up if managers by then) then he can just step in and take charge.

The decision I think has been made and Lemsagam will have his mind made up on his man I don't think it will be Wellens.

Edited by GlossopLatic

8 minutes ago, Midsblue said:

He looks pissed off when asked about Seedorf and said it's up to the owners and he did say 'and Simon Corney'.  I didn't read too much into that though.

Murray reaffirmed that Seedorf was a friend of owners and has no interest in the job.

I didn’t get that. On the one hand Wellens talked as though Seedorf was being considered and then Murray immediately poured cold water on it.   Odd. 

9 minutes ago, Midsblue said:

Goes against mike keegans tweet which said he was interviewed

Always second guessing in this game!

Edited by robboman

10 hours ago, Goal89 said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b095p6m9

Listen from 55:00 mins.

I'm very impressed with the noise Wellens is making. Sounds like a man with a vision

Thanks for that. I did have his words (badly paraphrased) from the MEN and was going to share them, but hearing it from him is way better. Sounds like exactly what we need, at the least as assistant with a view to being the successor. 

1.  Wellens has a very able assistant/mentor in TP who he will have to replace should he be given the job - it isn't just him.

2.  Had we lost the last two games the pressure would have been on to find a manager quickly.

3.  The two wins have taken the pressure right off as we are now in the publicly stated position SC aims for i.e. league 1 survival.  He can now interview candidates until the cows come home.

4.  I'm intrigued by the Wellens reference to "the owners and Simon Corney" and hope 'the owners' don't share the SC aims.

36 minutes ago, Hands on said:

1.  Wellens has a very able assistant/mentor in TP who he will have to replace should he be given the job - it isn't just him.

2.  Had we lost the last two games the pressure would have been on to find a manager quickly.

3.  The two wins have taken the pressure right off as we are now in the publicly stated position SC aims for i.e. league 1 survival.  He can now interview candidates until the cows come home.

4.  I'm intrigued by the Wellens reference to "the owners and Simon Corney" and hope 'the owners' don't share the SC aims.

Giving big clues there Richie boy i noticed this also sure it's a done deal

This is going to be the one time we should go for the ‘cheap option’ isn’t it...!

The players are all playing for him. Dummingham, for example, is starting to look a player again after previously being destroyed confidence wise. 

Interview-wise, he sounds convincing and you can imagine that he holds respect in the dressing room; he’s not talking in cliches, he doesn’t sound dull, and he doesn’t say ‘erm’ every two five seconds....!

Only two games.... but in both, tactically, in tough fixtures on paper, he’s got it spot on whereas his predecessor openly admitted to getting it wrong in games this season - and did on a few ocassions. 

Best of all..., his in-game management. Quick reaction to 10 men against Peterborough and the right changes to see the game out against all the odds.

And yesterday, how often have we seen those games turn against us?! 1-0 up and on top but don’t get the second; they nick an equaliser after the break and then run out 2-1 winners...!

He didn’t just say “more of the same” and then we have to react but it’s too late. 

He second-guessed the bollocking in the home dressing room and knew they’d come out pressing higher from the whistle; he prepped the clever high ball and a potential 2 on 2 situation.., bang, 2-0. 

Very impressive. 

Be extremely silly not to give him more games, or to react decisively if we, say, have one defeat under RW later this month. 

I fear it’s already a done deal. Perhaps Correa could be a Director of Football as a way to leave RW in place...

But at least the statement about a forthcoming statement implied the good signs under RW are being noted. They didn’t have to put that paragraph in. Of course Corney would be happy to give RW a shot..., he’s done it before (!) and it would free up more money if TP was happy to remain in an assistant-type position. 

Edited by IceStationLatic