Next Oldham Manager?

Shame the Bury game has been cancelled. I'm sure Correa would be a competent manager but given a choice between saving money by getting Wellens and then spending the savings on signing Doyle permanently and some others I know which I would choose.

Poor Correa, normally when you come in as a manager the fans are grateful you are not the manager that has just been sacked and fans get behind you. This time he will have to be damned good to win us over if he replaces Wellens.

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wonder if we might see a repeat of the last time we had money owners.

Quietly impressed by an inexperienced chap, but feel that they want an old hand for experience.

Appoint more experienced guy but with inexperienced fella alongside - then in a year move one out and let the other step up.

Dowie = Wellens

Wadsworth = Pablo

Didn't think I'd be saying this a week ago, but Wellens deserves a crack at the job on a permanent basis.

Would love him to convince TP to be his assistant though, think he has a great impact, both on Wellens and on the players.

Think it will be Correa though, with Wellens somewhere in the mix, possibly back to first team coach/reserve coach - similar to where Shez was in the Ronnie Moore days.

Edited by Latics_Fanatic

3 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Wellens is quoted in the Sunday People saying if he doesn't get the job here, he'll go and look elsewhere for one...

Sad to hear that because, after catching up on his interviews and the match highlights, he clearly has something about him.  But one good week doesn't make his career.

If he stays as an assistant or 3rd in command here he'll be able to pick up loads from the new manager.  All the while knowing that if the manager fails he would have what it takes to replace him.

It's a shame for Wellens, and maybe the club & us, that there's now no game for two weeks. 

I suspect Correa will be in place by then. 

And Wellens might well have left altogether sadly. 

Had we had a flurry of matches and he'd kept winning you'd think they'd give him the chance or at least that they wouldn't appoint someone new until he lost one or we turned in a poor performance for a draw. 

As great as it's been, and as impressive as Richie has been in every regard, I can't help thinking that we'd still have won these two games under Shez and that that will ultimately stand as the biggest bollock dropped in all of this...

Edited by HarryBosch

10 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

It's a shame for Wellens, and maybe the club & us, that there's now no game for two weeks. 

Had we had a flurry of matches and he'd kept winning you'd think they'd give him the chance or at least that they wouldn't appoint someone new until he lost one or we turned in a poor performance for a draw. 

As great as it's been, and as impressive as Richie has been in every regard, I can't help thinking that we'd still have won these two games under Shez and that that will ultimately stand as the biggest bollock dropped in all of this...

For one placid wouldn't be playing under shez so no bollocks dropped!!!!

12 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

We play at Crewe on Tuesday Harry in the Checkatrade, I still expect a strong team on display.

19 minutes ago, leeslover said:

Latics22 was quite right that Shez put the team together and it was all going in the right direction. Shame he didn't make the tweaks needed in time. There's no doubt it was a difficult time for him, his interviews alone made that clear 

I think that court case is/was taking its toll on him.

Had another look at the latest odds on The Sack Race site:

Wellens 1/1 - would be happy with him based on interviews and results, at least a short term contract until the end of the season that if if doesn't work then both parties move on.

Seedorf 3/1 - again would be happy, but think now that this is a dead story with enough people now denying it.

Correa 6/1 - again Ok with this.  Never had a "foreign" coach and record is decent.  Might not be bad odds either.

Stubbs 6/1 - leaves me completely cold.  Think this is the worst of the bookies favourites. No, no, and thrice, no for me.

Giggs 16/1 - tough one.  A world class player, and a big name that would get respect etc and boost the coverage of the club but a heart a red? We learnt to love ex-City Royle didn't we?

Davies 20/1 - another that leaves me cold.  OK past record but seems a bit tame.

A whole host on 25/1 that only a couple I'd be happy with:

Wilson - could be put in the same hat as Stubbs etc but have always liked the style of football Danny's teams play.

Scholes - read Giggs but added advantage of "maybe" being Latics fan.

12 minutes ago, leeslover said:

Could well have been. I don't doubt that other things were as well.

It certainly seemed from his interviews that Shez had lost a bit of heart for this job, he sounded fed up from very early on in the season. Compare that to the attitude and energy Wellens brings, it can’t be underestimated as a reason for our upturn in fortunes.

8 hours ago, leeslover said:

Could well have been. I don't doubt that other things were as well.

A colleague at work is a big Wednesday fan and pretty well connected at the club and with some of their ex-players.

The club had a big 150 anniversary event recently - about a week before Shez left.

As part of the event the dignitaries got free drinks vouchers, but not everyone was drinking.  Shez spent the event hoovering up as many "free" drinks he could and was absolutely smashed from fairly early on. My contact spoke to him earlier in the night and he said he was feeling pressure of Oldham and the fact that the results were so bad at the moment he was on the verge of losing his job - but he didn't mention anything about issues behind the scenes.

Given that the same fella sat next to Shez at Wembley (also when he was a few sheets to the wind) after he left to go Notts Cointy and he was forthcoming about Oldham and lack of funds and SC not being supportive enough - it seems that he does have enough of an ear that he gets information.

Later on at the 150 year event - they started pulling ex-managers and players up on stage with some old game footage to talk about some of the clubs achievements.  This included Shez talking about scoring the only goal in the League Cup final in the early 1990s....unfortunately by that stage he could barley stand nevermind speak, and there was an embarrassing silence as John seemed to ignore questions and just stand there.

Great player and by our standards a successful manager - but not sure that he is best suited to football managements and potentially has some personal issues that he needs to resolve.

3 minutes ago, Scapegoat said:

A colleague at work is a big Wednesday fan and pretty well connected at the club and with some of their ex-players.

The club had a big 150 anniversary event recently - about a week before Shez left.

As part of the event the dignitaries got free drinks vouchers, but not everyone was drinking.  Shez spent the event hoovering up as many "free" drinks he could and was absolutely smashed from fairly early on. My contact spoke to him earlier in the night and he said he was feeling pressure of Oldham and the fact that the results were so bad at the moment he was on the verge of losing his job - but he didn't mention anything about issues behind the scenes.

Given that the same fella sat next to Shez at Wembley (also when he was a few sheets to the wind) after he left to go Notts Cointy and he was forthcoming about Oldham and lack of funds and SC not being supportive enough - it seems that he does have enough of an ear that he gets information.

Later on at the 150 year event - they started pulling ex-managers and players up on stage with some old game footage to talk about some of the clubs achievements.  This included Shez talking about scoring the only goal in the League Cup final in the early 1990s....unfortunately by that stage he could barley stand nevermind speak, and there was an embarrassing silence as John seemed to ignore questions and just stand there.

Great player and by our standards a successful manager - but not sure that he is best suited to football managements and potentially has some personal issues that he needs to resolve.

There was an article in one of the tabloids about this event a couple of weeks ago (can't remember which one). It said something very similar I.e. that Shez took full advantage of the hospitality and was absolutely steaming by the time it was his turn to speak. Consequently he said very little.

From what I've heard over the years though, Shez has always liked a drink, during good times and bad. 

It was obvious from his demeanour this season that something was getting to him and it seemed to be more than just results. I'll always be grateful to him for what he did for the club and hope he finds success in whatever he does in the future.

34 minutes ago, bozman said:

There was an article in one of the tabloids about this event a couple of weeks ago (can't remember which one). It said something very similar I.e. that Shez took full advantage of the hospitality and was absolutely steaming by the time it was his turn to speak. Consequently he said very little.

From what I've heard over the years though, Shez has always liked a drink, during good times and bad. 

It was obvious from his demeanour this season that something was getting to him and it seemed to be more than just results. I'll always be grateful to him for what he did for the club and hope he finds success in whatever he does in the future.

He'd like it on our away days then if he likes a slurp or two :OASISscarf:

Johnny Sheridans piss pot army :applause1::applause1: