44 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

"He's the type of player I want to represent ME on the pitch"

Slated Dummigan too. Not the first to do so publicly. I read into this that Dummigan probably takes no notice.  

He also said he's dragged a lot out of several players but they lack consistency and that's why they've played at this end of league one throughout their careers. 

Very honest as ever and seemingly on the money (Iwasn't there).

I'd like Sam to have asked him what's caused us to stop playing the style that was serving us so well when he first took over though.... 

In a snippet of the BBC manc interview he seemed to suggest the pitch and conditions meant we went longer today. 

But we do seem to be more pragmatic recently. Keeper used to go short 9/10, but more like 5/10 now. 

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, stevesidg said:

Go to the 3 lines in the top right hand corner 

account settings

ignored users

add users to ignored users

type in the name of the person you want to ignore, and the name should appear as you type it

select it and confirm 

Ta

56 minutes ago, NewBlue said:

I’d love to hear your logic for that one

I’ve read a lot on this site, but that...

Point being that things take a few months to settle down. Teams don't show their true colours in oct. Plenty of shit teams have good starts, plenty of good teams have shit starts.

be wary of reading into results against decent teams early in the year. Teams are in fifth gear now and we can't cope.

16 minutes ago, Andy b said:

Point being that things take a few months to settle down. Teams don't show their true colours in oct. Plenty of shit teams have good starts, plenty of good teams have shit starts.

be wary of reading into results against decent teams early in the year. Teams are in fifth gear now and we can't cope.

Look at our record with and without Eoin Doyle. Don’t think there’s anything to see other than that to explain our problems.

Also, as for your theory, aren’t the top teams the same now as they were in October..?

22 minutes ago, stevesidg said:

account settings

ignored users

type in the name of the person you want to ignore, and the name should appear as you type it

select it and confirm 

Cheers. 

Finally get to ignore all the nonsense from Rigsby

42 minutes ago, stevesidg said:

account settings

ignored users

select it and confirm 

Thank you so much ? 

48 minutes ago, NewBlue said:

Look at our record with and without Eoin Doyle. Don’t think there’s anything to see other than that to explain our problems.

Also, as for your theory, aren’t the top teams the same now as they were in October..?

The table is essentially the same teams but gaps are opening up between those that are going to have a chance of being in touching distance come March and those that very clearly aren't. 

Christmas separates the men from the boys. Numerous teams are making a move now being in full stride - Doncaster, Plymouth and gills all a decent run away from the playoffs having been way behind us. 

Everyone bar the real dross are in touch in oct / Nov. Don't just look at league positions, look at points gaps. 

I simply don't believe we have a good team. Doyle is good, Byrne is good on his day, Gardner will do a job and Bryan is decent. Four decent players, one of whom I would rate highly, doesn't make us a good team. The table doesn't lie. 

As for what difference a fit doyle would have made, we will never know. Perhaps we would be 3 or 4 points better off. 

40 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Except when people reply and quote it ?

This is a forum when all is said and done and everybody should be entitled to an opinion...we don't have to all agree with each other because that would be boring. It is the variety of perspectives that makes the whole thing work in the first place.

Thank the Romans. :D 

9 minutes ago, Andy b said:

The table is essentially the same teams but gaps are opening up between those that are going to have a chance of being in touching distance come March and those that very clearly aren't. 

Christmas separates the men from the boys. Numerous teams are making a move now being in full stride - Doncaster, Plymouth and gills all a decent run away from the playoffs having been way behind us. 

Everyone bar the real dross are in touch in oct / Nov. Don't just look at league positions, look at points gaps. 

I simply don't believe we have a good team. Doyle is good, Byrne is good on his day, Gardner will do a job and Bryan is decent. Four decent players, one of whom I would rate highly, doesn't make us a good team. The table doesn't lie. 

As for what difference a fit doyle would have made, we will never know. Perhaps we would be 3 or 4 points better off. 

The horrendous start [10 games] has severely handicapped the points tally but then again, without that horrendous start we not be sat here discussing the current situation. Swings and roundabouts and all that.

I wonder if Wellens was refering to this message board when he recently said some people over react to both good and bad results.

I sat with some Shrews fans today and it was interesting  to get their perspective on us.

They felt  we were worthy of a point.

They said ours was one of the better away performances they had seen this season.

They thought the Davies incident was a definite penalty and red card ( I actually thought he dived at the time but haven't seen a replay yet).

Interestingly one of them commented that, despite their success so far this season, the football has been quite dull to watch as they are grinding out lots of 1-0 wins in games of few chances. He said it must be nice for us to watch a team involved in a lot of high scoring games.

We weren't great today compared to the stuff we were playing a couple  of months ago but i don't think the sky is falling in quite as much as some people are suggesting on here tonight.

The difference, in my opinion, was that they just looked a little bit fresher and a little bit stronger than us today. 

7 minutes ago, Wardie said:

This is a forum when all is said and done and everybody should be entitled to an opinion...we don't have to all agree with each other because that would be boring. It is the variety of perspectives that makes the whole thing work in the first place.

Thank the Romans. :D 

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I’m also entitled to ignore it!

I don’t agree with many posts/posters on here but would never think to block because of a difference of opinion. But recently there are a few posters who can only be described as trolls and seem to get a kick from winding people up and accumulating down boats. Since putting them on ignore it’s made this forum a much more enjoyable read. 

1 minute ago, nzlatic said:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I’m also entitled to ignore it!

I don’t agree with many posts/posters on here but would never think to block because of a difference of opinion. But recently there are a few posters who can only be described as trolls and seem to get a kick from winding people up and accumulating down boats. Since putting them on ignore it’s made this forum a much more enjoyable read. 

That is your prerogative...another feature of a forum. :P 

I can never fully understand the motives of a "troll" and what pleasure they derive from it. I do think that social media such as Twatter does lend itself to negative comments. Some people cannot find it within themselves to be positive and respect the opinions of others. Tweeting at a football match?? Just watch the bloody game!

10 minutes ago, bozman said:

I wonder if Wellens was refering to this message board when he recently said some people over react to both good and bad results.

I sat with some Shrews fans today and it was interesting  to get their perspective on us.

They said ours was one of the better away performances they had seen this season.

They thought the Davies incident was a definite penalty and red card ( I actually thought he dived at the time but haven't seen a replay yet).

Interestingly one of them commented that, despite their success so far this season, the football has been quite dull to watch as they are grinding out lots of 1-0 wins in games of few chances. He said it must be nice for us to watch a team involved in a lot of high scoring games.

We weren't great today compared to the stuff we were playing a couple  of months ago but i don't think the sky is falling in quite as much as some people are suggesting on here tonight.

The difference, in my opinion, was that they just looked a little bit fresher and a little bit stronger than us today. 

A fine post, Mr. Bozman. :) 

39 minutes ago, Andy b said:

Nah we had a quality team. Fane is becoming a really good player in this division. Rob Hunt is supposedly wanted by a few Championship teams. Craig Davies has scored at this level and higher - including a decent haul this season. Peter Clarke, Anthony Gerrard, then Doyle and Byrne are in the top 10 best in the division.

No point talking it down. We could’ve been top six very, very realistically, or better, if we kept that team together.

Edited by NewBlue

25 minutes ago, bozman said:

Why do they look fresher and stronger though and what can we do to achieve that level of fitness are the questions?

Edited by BP1960

Thought I might post a few thoughts after being at today's game.

Poor first half-reluctant to retain possession but no outlet as Davies unable to get any ball never mind hold on to it. 2 good saves from Placide BUT he did spill the shot for the goal-it was a really well struck shot tho.

Second half much better and had several good periods of possession but never really looked like scoring.

As for the players out there today. The defence looked OK-Gerrard and Dummigan had a decent game. Hunt and Bryan both played really well.

Midfield. Well Bryan played in 3 different roles today and TBF he does try to play football-he has some talent. Now for the rest-Flynn worse than useless. Gardner tried hard but boy does he misplace some passes. Tope same as Flynn. Fane-cannot work this guy out-he cannot pass and I mean cannot. He cannot head a ball. He cannot see a forward pass and cannot trap a bag of cement. He does amble around the pitch and try to tackle.

Davies-hopeless as sole striker but should have had a penalty- always seems to have the ball passed to him in the air.

Subs. Menig same as Flynn and Tope.  Holloway has got some pace but no footballing brain. Green not on long but what's the point?

So, after all this we deserved a point. We played against them with basically 9 men and more than held our own, in fact a neutral would not have known which was the higher placed team. It just shows what a fine margin there can be between success and failure.

6 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

Thought I might post a few thoughts after being at today's game.

Poor first half-reluctant to retain possession but no outlet as Davies unable to get any ball never mind hold on to it. 2 good saves from Placide BUT he did spill the shot for the goal-it was a really well struck shot tho.

Second half much better and had several good periods of possession but never really looked like scoring.

As for the players out there today. The defence looked OK-Gerrard and Dummigan had a decent game. Hunt and Bryan both played really well.

Midfield. Well Bryan played in 3 different roles today and TBF he does try to play football-he has some talent. Now for the rest-Flynn worse than useless. Gardner tried hard but boy does he misplace some passes. Tope same as Flynn. Fane-cannot work this guy out-he cannot pass and I mean cannot. He cannot head a ball. He cannot see a forward pass and cannot trap a bag of cement. He does amble around the pitch and try to tackle.

Davies-hopeless as sole striker but should have had a penalty- always seems to have the ball passed to him in the air.

Subs. Menig same as Flynn and Tope.  Holloway has got some pace but no footballing brain. Green not on long but what's the point?

So, after all this we deserved a point. We played against them with basically 9 men and more than held our own, in fact a neutral would not have known which was the higher placed team. It just shows what a fine margin there can be between success and failure.

Good report and thanks for the balanced viewpoint. I saw the goal and did think that Placide could have held it. If he had, no goal scored. Shrewsbury are definitely the surprise package of this season...they have scored fewer goals than Latics but conceded considerably less. What they probably do not have is the uncertainty of a takeover, a rookie manager and three crucial loan players about to leave. They have stability and consistency, Latics do not.

16 minutes ago, Wardie said:

Good report and thanks for the balanced viewpoint. I saw the goal and did think that Placide could have held it. If he had, no goal scored. Shrewsbury are definitely the surprise package of this season...they have scored fewer goals than Latics but conceded considerably less. What they probably do not have is the uncertainty of a takeover, a rookie manager and three crucial loan players about to leave. They have stability and consistency, Latics do not.

I also  overheard Shrews fans saying that we had been unlucky. I thought we were pretty poor to be honest. OK Davies has too much to do on his own but mistimes every jump and loses every header and only held the ball up a couple of times all game. Tope looked too timid and body language told the defender he expected to be tackled every time and looked reluctant to receive most of the time. I thought the original post was a bit harsh on Flynn- he is not involved all the time because of our awful current hoofing style but when he is on the ball does at least find useful lay offs and chases back well.

We need a lot more as we were out muscled for most of the game- Hoping that the Irish lad can help and that we can make some useful additions in the window

1 hour ago, NewBlue said:

Nah we had a quality team. Fane is becoming a really good player in this division. Rob Hunt is supposedly wanted by a few Championship teams. Craig Davies has scored at this level and higher - including a decent haul this season. Peter Clarke, Anthony Gerrard, then Doyle and Byrne are in the top 10 best in the division.

No point talking it down. We could’ve been top six very, very realistically, or better, if we kept that team together.

What do you mean if we'd kept the team together? Until 2nd Jan it has been together. This team you talk of is the one that has got us to 20th place? Doyle does not turn us from 20th place to top 6. If he can carry that then he is worth millions. 

54 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Why do they look fresher and stronger though and what can we do to achieve that level of fitness are the questions?

Well, according to Wellens in one of his post match interviews they look fresher and stronger because they are fitter than us. He said they are by far the fittest team in the division.

I guess the obvious question then is why can't he fix that as fitness should be one thing you can improve much more quickly than ability?

He did say that Davies' performance was hampered by an injury he is carrying and that Holloway couldn't walk yesterday so wasn't able to start. He also hinted that he thinks some players may not be putting 100% effort in by saying that some of the team could learn from the example Fane sets by always giving it everything he has got for every minute he is on the pitch.

4 hours ago, deckyd said:

Different teams, different times i suppose.  One thing is for sure we were attacking and high scoring before he came.  Obviously no one will know why we have changed so drastically, he is a possibility in my eyes as to why we are playing as we are anyway.  

We had Doyle it really is that simple for me

Wellens is costing us massively atm with his tactics and team selections. And yes, he sees them every day in training. But we have a massive squad, probably the biggest we’ve ever had in this league... and he’s playing formations and players that should be being changed. Sticking players in who are out of form. 

Theres no doubt we are missing Doyle, but this league is shit apart from the top 3/4... donny was down below us before we played them, won a few games and just a few points off playoffs even tho they are shite and wanted their manager out. We’re out of major cups and we’ve let this seasons promise dwindle away while changing the way we play too. This squad should not be in a relegation battle. 

7 hours ago, Andy b said:

What do you mean if we'd kept the team together? Until 2nd Jan it has been together. This team you talk of is the one that has got us to 20th place? Doyle does not turn us from 20th place to top 6. If he can carry that then he is worth millions. 

Doyle clearly does. We’ve P9 L8 without him, W7 D6 L4 with him...

That’s a big enough sample for me to tell that he does change the team - you’re not quite being truthful in the sense we added a lot of new players after losing the first six(?), so other sides essentially had a head start on us, and our form between now and then is more likely mid-table