Should Roughyeds be welcomed back to BP?

50 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

A few hundred more, big game Sunday should see a decent turnout but they are still managing to fit everyone in the Joe Royle quite comfortably despite topping the League. Plenty who I know who watch Latics and rugby follow Super League teams which I've always found a bit weird.

I thought crowds had doubled this season thereabouts? 500-750 at Whitebank and 1000-1500 so far at BP ain’t it? 
There’s potential they’ll hit 3k in the championship for some of the clubs who travel well if they do go up. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

A few hundred more, big game Sunday should see a decent turnout but they are still managing to fit everyone in the Joe Royle quite comfortably despite topping the League. Plenty who I know who watch Latics and rugby follow Super League teams which I've always found a bit weird.

Don't find it weird at all. Not many people want to watch non league RL on a field 

9 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Personally think they'll struggle if they go up, they will also be disappointed with the interest from the Oldham public as they aren't really buying in to it, crowds are poor for what's being pumped in.

Tbf they are doing well constantly 4 figures compared to the rest in the league who bring no fans. Should be 2000 at least Sunday 

33 minutes ago, BradKnowles1 said:

Tbf they are doing well constantly 4 figures compared to the rest in the league who bring no fans. Should be 2000 at least Sunday 

2 stands open for the 1st time aswell, with their fans in the main stand. Suggests pre-sales are decent. 
I’ve not been to watch Roughyeds for years but i’m hoping to get down for it. 

29 minutes ago, daniel said:

2 stands open for the 1st time aswell, with their fans in the main stand. Suggests pre-sales are decent. 

Yeah same here will be a good game hopefully be a good atmosphere 

13 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

2572 there today winning 44-6 against their main competitors Keighley. Looks like Championship rugby at BP next season.

Looked more than that. North stand sold out and keighley had 300x

had a chat with Luke Rothwell owns the ground paid in. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, BradKnowles1 said:

Did he buy a can of warm piss for £5.25 and a house brick pie for £4.50 though?.

Fair play to him though 👏👏👏

• Like 2

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

2572 there today winning 44-6 against their main competitors Keighley. Looks like Championship rugby at BP next season.

The crowd atmosphere was superb, unlike anything I've seen at Latics games for donkeys years.

100% commitment from every player who gave autographs and selfies after the game. 

Hopefully Latics can follow the Rugby in giving the crowd big wins and entertainment. 

On 7/19/2024 at 7:34 PM, daniel said:

I haven't been to the rugby for years either, but can highly recommend watching this exciting team. 

1 hour ago, BradKnowles1 said:

Can you clarify what you mean by the Luke Rothwell comment ? 

Sorry if I am missing something haha. 

Edited by LightDN123

30 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Can you clarify what you mean by the Luke Rothwell comment ? 

Sorry if I am missing something haha. 

You’d think he would be in the directors box. Queued up and paid his way in. 

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

Did he buy a can of warm piss for £5.25 and a house brick pie for £4.50 though?.

Fair play to him though 👏👏👏

Spoke to him about the kiosk says he understands with the pricing, cheaper for a pint than can. Apparently there’s a meeting with the caterers this week.

• Like 1

Also I don’t like comparing the sports but Oldham did an offer today. First tackle they put in a massive hit and gone the fans on board. Biggest crowd in nearly 20 years.  Compare that to Kidderminster and how we played. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, BradKnowles1 said:

Spoke to him about the kiosk says he understands with the pricing, cheaper for a pint than can. Apparently there’s a meeting with the caterers this week.

Well done. 

1 hour ago, BradKnowles1 said:

Also I don’t like comparing the sports but Oldham did an offer today. First tackle they put in a massive hit and gone the fans on board. Biggest crowd in nearly 20 years.  Compare that to Kidderminster and how we played. 

Yes, the rugby players sheer determination and ability had the crowd on their side from the off and maintained it for 80 minutes.

Some big hits in the match yet no player rolled over 20 times like you see in football. Probably the most uplifting sports game I've seen since Latics thrashed West Ham 6-0 and Wembley stars were in our eyes and Redfearn's last minute title wining penalty.

Edited by BP1960

2 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Yes, the rugby players sheer determination and ability had the crowd on their side from the off and maintained it for 80 minutes.

Some big hits in the match yet no player rolled over 20 times like you see in football. Probably the most uplifting sports game I've seen since Latics thrashed West Ham 6-0 and Wembley stars were in our eyes and Redfearn's last minute title wining penalty.

I take it you've just discovered rugby league ? 😊

Great win today and augurs well for the future.

• Like 1

My 1st game watching Oldham for years, although I do watch a lot of RL at Waterhead and on the telly so I knew I was going along to watch a skilful side and they didn’t disappoint. By the end Keighley were just blown away and the last 15 mins had completely given up through sheer exhaustion. Crowd was great although they need to have a contingency in place for bigger crowds going forward. I queued half an hr for a drink and got in the stand at 2:50 and managed to get one of the last 2 seats left. Until 20 mins in to the game the stewards were still trying to get people with no seats in to a seat and it meant a fair amount of people missed chunks of the game as they were queueing in the concourse to get in. When there is 13000 seats in there it seemed bizarre why they just didn’t open up a small block in the RRE.

Enjoyed it though and will probably attend a few games a season going forward.

3 hours ago, daniel said:

My 1st game watching Oldham for years, although I do watch a lot of RL at Waterhead and on the telly so I knew I was going along to watch a skilful side and they didn’t disappoint. By the end Keighley were just blown away and the last 15 mins had completely given up through sheer exhaustion. Crowd was great although they need to have a contingency in place for bigger crowds going forward. I queued half an hr for a drink and got in the stand at 2:50 and managed to get one of the last 2 seats left. Until 20 mins in to the game the stewards were still trying to get people with no seats in to a seat and it meant a fair amount of people missed chunks of the game as they were queueing in the concourse to get in. When there is 13000 seats in there it seemed bizarre why they just didn’t open up a small block in the RRE.

Great win that.

Out of Interest how many seats are in the stand? I thought more than 2300?

2 hours ago, Londonboy said:

Great win that.

There is a section blocked off due to the ongoing works to build an exit to the fans bar. Not sure how many seats are blocked now, but the stand capacity is definitely being lowered to facilitate the new exit as I recall some ST holders having to move seats which they weren’t happy about. 

7 hours ago, daniel said:

Yeah stewards were completely flapping. I don’t think they opened the RRE due to not having enough stewards. Yesterday showed afain whenever there is a big crowd in BP the facilities really struggle. 

2 hours ago, BradKnowles1 said:

Yeah stewards were completely flapping. I don’t think they opened the RRE due to not having enough stewards. Yesterday showed afain whenever there is a big crowd in BP the facilities really struggle. 

Doesn't the club have a ground safety officer attending all home matches football and rugby to quickly sort any crowd issues? 

13 hours ago, BradKnowles1 said:

You’d think he would be in the directors box. Queued up and paid his way in. 

It's brilliant that he does this and gets the true fan feel of attending a game, rather than the gilded experience of the club director.

8 hours ago, Londonboy said:

Great win that.

IIRC before the alterations began on the half way line the capacity of the JR stand was 2666.

• Like 1