Should Roughyeds be welcomed back to BP?

11 hours ago, daniel said:

My 1st game watching Oldham for years, although I do watch a lot of RL at Waterhead and on the telly so I knew I was going along to watch a skilful side and they didn’t disappoint. By the end Keighley were just blown away and the last 15 mins had completely given up through sheer exhaustion. Crowd was great although they need to have a contingency in place for bigger crowds going forward. I queued half an hr for a drink and got in the stand at 2:50 and managed to get one of the last 2 seats left. Until 20 mins in to the game the stewards were still trying to get people with no seats in to a seat and it meant a fair amount of people missed chunks of the game as they were queueing in the concourse to get in. When there is 13000 seats in there it seemed bizarre why they just didn’t open up a small block in the RRE.

Enjoyed it though and will probably attend a few games a season going forward.

Agree with all of this. It was quite farcical really and, bizarrely, they appeared to be caught out by how many people were there.

It will have all been noted by Luke Rothwell - he's a clever man. I can't imagine them letting it be so shoddy going forward...

Like how Latics are being held responsible on here for the lack of planning for a big crowd as it's surely the Roughyeads job to have contingency plans.

My mate supports the rugby team and told me he expected 2000 plus so it's no giant leap to contemplate a few hundred more.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Like how Latics are being held responsible on here for the lack of planning for a big crowd as it's surely the Roughyeads job to have contingency plans.

My mate supports the rugby team and told me he expected 2000 plus so it's no giant leap to contemplate a few hundred more.

It’d be interesting to see what the official arrangements are between the 2 clubs in terms of responsibilities. We are in reality hiring the facilities out to Roughyeds so it's definitely in our interests that it’s a safe and comfortable environment. All the stewards and catering staff are the same as at Latics games, so we must have some input to how Roughyeds operate their home games.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Londonboy said:

Another Big game at Dogdale on Sunday for the Roughyeds....should outnumber the home supporters as usual there😂

Win it and the Championship is probably theirs

They're as good as up. Two of their remaining games are against teams they'd expect to beat with nine men 

9 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

They're as good as up. Two of their remaining games are against teams they'd expect to beat with nine men 

They ought to , but need to win at Rochdale on Sunday. If they do that then it should be straightforward.

• 4 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

A great achievement that hopefully we'll emulate soon.

How likely is promotion to the Super League?

Bear in mind that last year's L1 winners have won once in the Championship all season. It's a big leap.

19 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Bear in mind that last year's L1 winners have won once in the Championship all season. It's a big leap.

It is a massive leap but I expect they’ll spend significantly again along with having a great squad already. I think it’d take a few years to get nearer the top clubs in the championship, but I’d expect they’ll be aiming for mid table consolidation straight away. Reckon they’ll have higher budgets than the likes of Whitehaven, Swinton, Doncaster and Barrow etc. Crowds should also easily clear 2000 on a fairly consistent basis also. 

Apparently there is further investment to come from other sources that was dependant on them being promoted to the Championship so could be they spend more again if that turns out to be true.

Great for the town though, up the Yeds!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

A great achievement that hopefully we'll emulate soon.

How likely is promotion to the Super League?

There’s no promotion to super league anymore. All done on IMG. They could technically get promoted to the super league now if they had enough points. It’s all a mind field.

bill Quinn was in my work Thursday had a good chat. He said it’s good being at Boundary park however, IMG sees issues. Directors box not taped off, need to box off an area for 250 sponsors. However SAG does not allow this. This means the club loses points.

it’s all shit 

1 hour ago, daniel said:

It is a massive leap but I expect they’ll spend significantly again along with having a great squad already. I think it’d take a few years to get nearer the top clubs in the championship, but I’d expect they’ll be aiming for mid table consolidation straight away. Reckon they’ll have higher budgets than the likes of Whitehaven, Swinton, Doncaster and Barrow etc. Crowds should also easily clear 2000 on a fairly consistent basis also. 

The average crowd for the championship is only around 2k with only 2 or 3 teams getting 3k+

9 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

The average crowd for the championship is only around 2k with only 2 or 3 teams getting 3k+

They've gone up with a top end Championship budget so I suspect they'll be happy to consolidate next season, Championship is a tough League.

I think that Frank has done an excellent job in promoting "all things Oldham" including local businesses, the Roughyeds and the Latics. Hopefully we will emulate  the rugby rugby clubs success

I appreciate that things have changed at BP hut I find looking back at some of the posts in the early days of this thread interesting when there was strong opposition to the their return

Edited by another fan

8 hours ago, another fan said:

I think that Frank has done an excellent job in promoting "all things Oldham" including local businesses, the Roughyeds and the Latics. Hopefully e will emulate  the rugby rugby clubs success

I appreciate that things have changed at BP hut I find looking back at some of the posts in the early days of this thread interesting when there was strong opposition to the their return

It was indeed. I think the major concern at the time was what it would do for the pitch. However as we've had a new pitch and I expect that it will be maintained to a high standard then the council Latics and the Roughyeds have got together and come up with a solution that works for all of us. Which is good news for all of us.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/28/2024 at 4:43 PM, mick26 said:

Just listened to Mike Ford on the latest rugby YouTube episode and he mentioned that the plans for the fan's bar mean increasing capacity to a thousand!

Just pour 30 pints and keep it rolling