Should Roughyeds be welcomed back to BP?

18 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

They’ve turned their fortunes around in one season….getting the right manager and the right players in makes a significant difference!🤔

Totally different levels and totally incomparable. I follow RL a lot, and the league Oldham are in is full of old pro’s and the handpicked best local amateur players. Oldham have gone out and signed experienced super league and championship players, some of whom are towards the end of their careers but a lot who are still well within their primes and can run rings around these sides very easily. The RL pyramid would be equivalent of Prem, Championship and then Sunday league. 4 of the teams in League 1 would get beat in some of top Amateur leagues around here.

Investment has been key, and the players didn’t even need to show up in 50% of the games it was that easy. 

Edited by daniel
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Well done to them, but there was no way on earth I was going today and having the first trophy I see lifted at Boundary Park being by a bloody rugby team...

You should go, the crowd atmosphere is way better than the football. 

Their board, the coach, the players, and the supporters all know they are going places, not stumbling along half hoping like Latics. 

59 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Their board, the coach, the players, and the supporters all know they are going places, not stumbling along half hoping like Latics. 

Pissing matches by 50 or 60 points is bound to create a good atmosphere.

We'll see how they do on a level playing field next season as they've spent massively this season playing against mostly part-time teams.

Good luck to them but there's very little comparison to our situation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

Alf the levels aren’t even close. Pretty much amateur level the rugby. Massively different financial levels too. 

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

It's the equivalent of sticking Man City in League Two with the money spent compared to others in their league. 

I went when they played Keighley and found the atmosphere and match boring. They won by about 40 points...

13 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

It's the equivalent of sticking Man City in League Two with the money spent compared to others in their league. 

I went when they played Keighley and found the atmosphere and match boring. They won by about 40 points...

I’ve been to a couple of games and I agree. I’m a fan of RL so I did enjoy the games but the atmosphere is definitely not better than for Latics. Not saying it’s an amazing atmosphere at Latics but to say the atmosphere at Oldham rugby is better is nonsense. 

2 minutes ago, daniel said:

I’ve been to a couple of games and I agree. I’m a fan of RL so I did enjoy the games but the atmosphere is definitely not better than for Latics. Not saying it’s an amazing atmosphere at Latics but to say the atmosphere at Oldham rugby is better is nonsense. 

I attend both.

The clubs are comparable as they are both recovering from a generation of neglect and poor management.

The rugby has been an arguably worse situation because of their homelessness.

The standard of rugby, Newcastle apart, has been decent.

The crowd reaction is much different. The rugby fans seem just to be happy something good is happening at last. Latics fans seem more unhappy on the whole and very quick to vent . Might be the difference between winning and losing, but also reflects expectations.

The advantage the rugby enjoy is the relative economics of the game. The chairman has put in around £250,000 and won the league by a country mile.Doesn't get you very far in football.

2 hours ago, Dickie Down said:

I attend both.

The clubs are comparable as they are both recovering from a generation of neglect and poor management.

The rugby has been an arguably worse situation because of their homelessness.

The standard of rugby, Newcastle apart, has been decent.

The crowd reaction is much different. The rugby fans seem just to be happy something good is happening at last. Latics fans seem more unhappy on the whole and very quick to vent . Might be the difference between winning and losing, but also reflects expectations.

The advantage the rugby enjoy is the relative economics of the game. The chairman has put in around £250,000 and won the league by a country mile.Doesn't get you very far in football.

Agreed, but I found the rugby more family orientated by inviting several junior rugby clubs to attend matches and of course they bring parents and friends. 

47 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Agreed, but I found the rugby more family orientated by inviting several junior rugby clubs to attend matches and of course they bring parents and friends. 

Latics do the same? 

20 hours ago, daniel said:

Totally different levels and totally incomparable. I follow RL a lot, and the league Oldham are in is full of old pro’s and the handpicked best local amateur players. Oldham have gone out and signed experienced super league and championship players, some of whom are towards the end of their careers but a lot who are still well within their primes and can run rings around these sides very easily. The RL pyramid would be equivalent of Prem, Championship and then Sunday league. 4 of the teams in League 1 would get beat in some of top Amateur leagues around here.

Investment has been key, and the players didn’t even need to show up in 50% of the games it was that easy. 

You are right about the levels etc and it's difficult to make direct comparisons due the the financial inequality.

However it's the process they have followed to win this year which is impressive.

1. Bringing in someone like Sean Long as manager. Respected by all players and fans alike.

A born winner at the top level who clearly plays rugby the right way. This attracts the better players who want to play for him. Nothing against MM but his profile compared to Longs in the relevant sport is chalk and cheese and he seems to attract erm...ex Tranmere players!

2. Utilising the loan market brilliantly and using his top level contacts to get in loan players who either compliment or improve the team. We are just pants at this.....fact!!

3. The upscaling of the clubs marketing and social media presence. With a limited budget they are active across the key social media platforms with content worth watching....we can't even communicate ticket availability or meaningful player updates. 

We should be celebrating their success and maybe learning a few things rather than making excuses why we haven't delivered what our board have promised.

look at Mike Ford, another top performer who has delivered full stop.

4 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

You are right about the levels etc and it's difficult to make direct comparisons due the the financial inequality.

However it's the process they have followed to win this year which is impressive.

1. Bringing in someone like Sean Long as manager. Respected by all players and fans alike.

A born winner at the top level who clearly plays rugby the right way. This attracts the better players who want to play for him. Nothing against MM but his profile compared to Longs in the relevant sport is chalk and cheese and he seems to attract erm...ex Tranmere players!

2. Utilising the loan market brilliantly and using his top level contacts to get in loan players who either compliment or improve the team. We are just pants at this.....fact!!

3. The upscaling of the clubs marketing and social media presence. With a limited budget they are active across the key social media platforms with content worth watching....we can't even communicate ticket availability or meaningful player updates. 

We should be celebrating their success and maybe learning a few things rather than making excuses why we haven't delivered what our board have promised.

look at Mike Ford, another top performer who has delivered full stop.

You make some valid points. 
I actually think the club tried to follow a similar process but in football terms. We cannot bring in the football version of Sean Long from the top divisions and so MM is probably about the biggest name we could actually get in terms of their achievements in the game at the time we were looking. Sean Long has a far smaller group of clubs he could have gone too, and being realistic he probably wasn’t going to get a Super League job when he didn’t get Featherstone promoted. He will have looked at Oldham and our finances available and thought it’d be a relatively easy promotion to get added to his CV.

On point 2, it’s a similar story to Football in that it doesn’t always particularly matter what league your in, the player will follow the money and we offer more money than even the majority of Championship clubs. Latics have done similar from League 1 and 2 clubs to be fair. 
On point 3, I agree that the Rugby do a great job on social media, especially as they are still a semi professional outfit. I think latics could make some improvements in this area but I don’t think we are as bad as people make out in this area. Player injury updates simply don’t happen anymore, and for the ticket communications we are dealing with absolute tin pot outfits playing at leisure centre’s most weeks and so using Altrincham as an example it was on them that we didn’t get the 600 tickets until the day before the game, which is as tin pot as it gets and our fans are somewhat blaming Latics for this….

56 minutes ago, daniel said:

Latics do the same? 

Don't think so, for example all Waterhead Academy rugby players and their families were invited to a recent Roughyeds match, who of course brought along many friends. 

They have done this with several other schools and tomorrow night its the the under 15s Standrad Cup final Waterhead v Saddleworth 6pm at Boundary Park. 

All part of a bonding exercise I feel.

Edited by BP1960

6 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Don't think so, for example all Waterhead Academy rugby players and their families were invited to a recent Roughyeds match, who of course brought along many friends. 

They have done this with several other schools and tomorrow night its the the under 15s Standrad Cup final Waterhead v Saddleworth 6pm at Boundary Park. 

All part of a bonding exercise I feel.

We do it literally every game. There is a kids match on between 2 clubs at HT on the pitch, with the parents all sat in the family stand cheering on and recording etc. Latics literally give out hundreds of freebies for every game in local schools and stuff. The family stand whilst far from full always has a few hundred in there and there won’t be many that pay to get in there. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, daniel said:

We do it literally every game. There is a kids match on between 2 clubs at HT on the pitch, with the parents all sat in the family stand cheering on and recording etc. Latics literally give out hundreds of freebies for every game in local schools and stuff. The family stand whilst far from full always has a few hundred in there and there won’t be many that pay to get in there. 

Maybe, but I don't  see the same family and friends togetherness. 

35 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Maybe, but I don't  see the same family and friends togetherness. 

You must be looking in the wrong places. My youngest son's football team have done flag waving on two occasions, soon to be three. Both my lads have made countless friends just by being at the front of the family stand at games and seek their friends out at away games to stand or sit with them.

Add to that, the fact my father in law comes to the games and enjoys being able to watch the game with us, have a pint and see his grandchildren live their best life with their new found friends.

You're way off the mark here...

• Like 4

Not a problem with the Yeds at BP, it's good for the town and important they have a home, I've been to the odd game and it's not even close to the atmosphere for a football fixture so i find some of the comments on here a bit weird.

What I have noticed though is a succession of rugby matches being played on the pitch, sometimes two pre match games as well as other games from some of the towns teams, if this pitch is able to take that much rugby why are our youths playing on Chapel Road, surely they should be able to play their matches at BP particularly when the first team have an away fixture, it's almost like the rugby has took over in some respects and I don't feel it's necessary for three matches to be played on it at a time and if that doesn't effect the pitch get our youth and women's team on there as well.

10 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Not a problem with the Yeds at BP, it's good for the town and important they have a home, I've been to the odd game and it's not even close to the atmosphere for a football fixture so i find some of the comments on here a bit weird.

What I have noticed though is a succession of rugby matches being played on the pitch, sometimes two pre match games as well as other games from some of the towns teams, if this pitch is able to take that much rugby why are our youths playing on Chapel Road, surely they should be able to play their matches at BP particularly when the first team have an away fixture, it's almost like the rugby has took over in some respects and I don't feel it's necessary for three matches to be played on it at a time and if that doesn't effect the pitch get our youth and women's team on there as well.

What level do the women play at and what crowds do they get? Limited merit in playing at a ground that holds many times their usual attendance, if that's the case

2 hours ago, daniel said:

Latics do the same? 

used to around corneys  time got a runout at half time on the pitch helped my nephews school out when they got an invite shame it was ruined by racist idiots having a got at some of the Asian team members 

13 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

What level do the women play at and what crowds do they get? Limited merit in playing at a ground that holds many times their usual attendance, if that's the case

Greater Manchester Women's Football League, Premier Div (one step below regional football). You can find fixtures here: Oldham Athletic Women's FC | Greater Manchester Women's Football League (thefa.com)

Season starts Sunday.

• Like 1

Much prefer watching RL over football these days, so I've enjoyed the Roughyeds games. Be much better next season though when the standard is higher and the games are more competitive. 

Don't think people can say the atmosphere is better for the Roughyeds though - it's definitely less toxic than Latics, and always was even when they were shit, but wouldn't say it is better than Latics.