Should Roughyeds be welcomed back to BP?

34 minutes ago, Yard Dog said:

Don't think people can say the atmosphere is better for the Roughyeds though - it's definitely less toxic than Latics, and always was even when they were shit, but wouldn't say it is better than Latics.

One thing that I've noticed this season is that there is very little toxicity towards the team at the moment - the fans are being extraordinarily patient imho...

But for how long if results continue? To the lads on the pitch - when you cross the white line...

3 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

One thing that I've noticed this season is that there is very little toxicity towards the team at the moment - the fans are being extraordinarily patient imho...

But for how long if results continue? To the lads on the pitch - when you cross the white line...

Probably not for this thread, but I got the feeling that things were going to turn on Saturday. Dolan hitting the bar just before HT saved them from a really negative reaction when the HT whistle went...

There were audible boos on the stream about half way through the first half when we passed it backwards, keeping possession. I'm pretty sure it was the move that eventually ended with a Norwood header from the edge of the box.

33 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

There's very little atmosphere and a growing amount of apathy, you get the feeling the crowd are just resigning themselves to another season of mediocrity, ultimately they need something to believe in and it's going to take a player or two to step up to change that, Fondop for all his faults gives the fans a lift but I think that's about it really, maybe Monthe when he goes on one of his marauding runs, I can't think of much or anyone else that excites, we are always going to come across as workmanlike the way we set up and play, it's all a bit meh. 

We need wins it really is as simple as that.

On 9/10/2024 at 12:39 PM, nzlatic said:

There were audible boos on the stream about half way through the first half when we passed it backwards, keeping possession. I'm pretty sure it was the move that eventually ended with a Norwood header from the edge of the box.

piss me off so much the GERRITFORWARD Brigade. the irony of how backwards they are. they actially find prime Barça five nilling somebody 'boring' 😳🙄👀🤣🤣🤣

5 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

what have their crowds been...,?

Anywhere between a thousand and around 2600. Average around 1600. Over double last season. Mostly with negligible away support and some hard to sell fixtures.

They could expect an average of over two thousand next season all being well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

piss me off so much the GERRITFORWARD Brigade. the irony of how backwards they are. they actially find prime Barça five nilling somebody 'boring' 😳🙄👀🤣🤣🤣

But watching football is supposed to be about entertainment.

Players who consistently take the easy pass sideways or backwards are ten a penny. I pay to see someone with a bit of flair who tries the harder option, sometimes successfully, sometimes not, but at least trying something that me or the person sitting next to me would struggle doing.

Think you may be confusing the "Gerritforward Brigade" with with the "Lumpitforward Brigade".There's a world of difference !

I do understand the rationale of playing it out from the back but ultimately the aim of the game is to score goals not piss about for five minutes with your least talented footballers (defenders) making ten yard passes between themselves.

If I wanted to continually watch that I could view my peers playing walking football. 👨‍🦳:getmecoat:

1 hour ago, Bobledgersheart said:

But watching football is supposed to be about entertainment.

Players who consistently take the easy pass sideways or backwards are ten a penny. I pay to see someone with a bit of flair who tries the harder option, sometimes successfully, sometimes not, but at least trying something that me or the person sitting next to me would struggle doing.

Think you may be confusing the "Gerritforward Brigade" with with the "Lumpitforward Brigade".There's a world of difference !

I do understand the rationale of playing it out from the back but ultimately the aim of the game is to score goals not piss about for five minutes with your least talented footballers (defenders) making ten yard passes between themselves.

If I wanted to continually watch that I could view my peers playing walking football. 👨‍🦳:getmecoat:

its division five, Robert

2 hours ago, Dickie Down said:

Anywhere between a thousand and around 2600. Average around 1600. Over double last season. Mostly with negligible away support and some hard to sell fixtures.

They could expect an average of over two thousand next season all being well.

not bad really. pitch seems OK too. l mite try n get interested in them. support my local team n all that. is there an atmosphere?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

not bad really. pitch seems OK too. l mite try n get interested in them. support my local team n all that. is there an atmosphere?

Yes and you get a really sense of them Building something. Long may the growth continue as think there are still loads of dormant fans about as well as new ones. They also seem to be making a real effort of getting into the school to which is great. Needs more oldham lads playing rugby and not dicking about on the streets getting up to mischief. Plus we do have a history of churning out some real talent over the years :)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Charles or Eddie said:

Yes and you get a really sense of them Building something. Long may the growth continue as think there are still loads of dormant fans about as well as new ones. They also seem to be making a real effort of getting into the school to which is great. Needs more oldham lads playing rugby and not dicking about on the streets getting up to mischief. Plus we do have a history of churning out some real talent over the years :)

They look like they are going to spend big again also and try and further push on. Already signed a very experienced Super League prop forward who has played for Wigan, Catalans, Warrington and this year Salford. 34 year old, so toward the end of their career but should be a good signing, and he looks massive, as you’d expect from a prop forward. 

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

Great deal for season tickets at last seasons prices. 

Yes but if they put them up in price they can get less people to pay just as much, less people to worry about and generating the same revenue, it genius.

Edited by yarddog73

2 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Yes but if they put them up in price they can get less people to pay just as much, less people to worry about and generating the same revenue, it genius.

They're building from a very low base. We had the highest season ticket sales in years. Bit different.

45 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

They're building from a very low base. We had the highest season ticket sales in years. Bit different.

Is it?, we still had over half the seats empty in the ground for 95% of the games, maybe they knew sales were going to drop and just expected those remaining to pick up the slack?. 

Have we seen anything since the end of last season in relation to fan engagement?, I'm struggling to remember anything yet the Rugby seem to want a different approach, it would have been very easy for them to increase prices in line with costs next season but they are taking the approach that they want to reward and value the customers they've got which I see as quite refreshing.

• Like 1

Whilst I applaud the rugby club's achievement and recognise the benefit of this to the town, just a note of caution.

A friend of mine is a big ORLFC supporter and reckons that the club has sights on making Boundary Park their own one day, making Latics their tenants - as happened at Stockport. It obviously won't happen while Frank and his family are running things, but who knows what lies in the future, especially if ORLFC continue to grow and Latics stay stuck in our current position.

This could of course be nonsense, although my friend has already told me to expect to see a lot more ORLFC stuff around Boundary Park in the near future as they start to 'decorate' their new home. But it's something to keep an eye on 🤔

Edited by Mr Banks, Zone 3

10 minutes ago, Mr Banks, Zone 3 said:

Whilst I applaud the rugby club's achievement and recognise the benefit of this to the town, just a note of caution.

A friend of mine is a big ORLFC supporter and reckons that the club has sights on making Boundary Park their own one day, making Latics their tenants - as happened at Stockport. It obviously won't happen while Frank and his family are running things, but who knows what lies in the future, especially if ORLFC continue to grow and Latics stay stuck in our current position.

This could of course be nonsense, although my friend has already told me to expect to see a lot more ORLFC stuff around Boundary Park in the near future as they start to 'decorate' their new home. But it's something to keep an eye on 🤔

I certainly won't worry about that!  And fair enough that there should be some of their branding.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

I certainly won't worry about that!  And fair enough that there should be some of their branding.

Could swap all the signs and colours between matches like AC Milan and Inter do. BP not much different to the SanSiro. 😶

1 hour ago, Mr Banks, Zone 3 said:

Whilst I'm not sure about most of this I'm yet to understand why so many games of Rugby are being played on the pitch, last season without the Rugby the pitch just about held up at the back end of the season and was looking a little worn, what's the actual arrangement with the Rugby then because to me the relationship seems to be a bit one way at the moment.

The way some on here are wanking themselves silly over all things rugby, I bet they can't wait for a bit of red to show around BP... 

Plus it'll give them something else to beat the club up about... Double win.

• Like 2