Should Roughyeds be welcomed back to BP?

On 9/14/2024 at 8:22 AM, Mr Banks, Zone 3 said:

Whilst I applaud the rugby club's achievement and recognise the benefit of this to the town, just a note of caution.

A friend of mine is a big ORLFC supporter and reckons that the club has sights on making Boundary Park their own one day, making Latics their tenants - as happened at Stockport. It obviously won't happen while Frank and his family are running things, but who knows what lies in the future, especially if ORLFC continue to grow and Latics stay stuck in our current position.

This could of course be nonsense, although my friend has already told me to expect to see a lot more ORLFC stuff around Boundary Park in the near future as they start to 'decorate' their new home. But it's something to keep an eye on 🤔

Yeah, as you said a load of nonsense.

But do expect a lot more rugby, both Roughyeds and community/amateur game, at BP going forward. As we all know, it was one of the conditions of getting funding towards the pitch renovation. 

Heard lots about the Rothwells and others looking at trying to get BP to be a hub for a lot of sports. Think like Leigh Sports Village...can only be a good thing.

There is an Women's Origin (Lancs V Yorks) RL game taking place at BP soon.

Personally think it all sounds very positive for BP, OAFC, ORLFC and other local sports organisations...and the surrounding area which benefits too of course 

Edited by Yard Dog
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Yard Dog said:

Yeah, as you said a load of nonsense.

But do expect a lot more rugby, both Roughyeds and community/amateur game, at BP going forward. As we all know, it was one of the conditions of getting funding towards the pitch renovation. 

Heard lots about the Rothwells and others looking at trying to get BP to be a hub for a lot of sports. Think like Leigh Sports Village...can only be a good thing.

There is an Women's Origin (Lancs V Yorks) RL game taking place at BP soon.

Personally think it all sounds very positive for BP, OAFC, ORLFC and other local sports organisations...and the surrounding area which benefits too of course 

I remember when Oldham had a very good basketball team in the 1990s, sports in the town were flourishing then. 

Curzon Ashton have a great sports set up outside the ground, including athletics and cycling. 

We'd need Clayton playing fields to emulate that, but can't see locals going for such a large project after Sports Park 2000.

Edited by BP1960