Squad movements, summer 2018

2 minutes ago, bozman said:

I was told by one of Bury's sponsors that Stewart Day had approached the club to see if we'd be interested in ground sharing in a new build ground somewhere  between the two towns. 

No idea if or how those talks have progressed unfortunately.

Wouldnt somewhere between be Rochdale?!

2 minutes ago, maddog said:

Wouldnt somewhere between be Rochdale?!

I'd imagine his definition  of 'between' would be anywhere he can buy some cheap land within reasonable travelling distance. 

FWIW halfway between the 2 grounds is Middleton (between Langley Lane and the M62). There is some farm land there too. 

However as its in Rochdale, presumably Rochdale would have power of veto. 

It is technically possible to go between the 2 boroughs of Bury and Oldham without going through Rochdale, but Manchester is in the way. Therefore presumably City would have a veto. FC United might also have a veto as halfway between the 2 boroughs of Bury and Oldham that way is their ground. 

I think there's actually some cheap land round Heywood which would fit the bill. But again that causes issues with Rochdale. 

3 hours ago, Stanley30 said:

Byrne is way too good for L1 let alone L2, he’s potentially a top end championship player. Very similar mould to a Wes Hoolahan in his style of play.Pleasure to watch even if Wellens seemed to lose the plot with him towards the end of the season. Clever investment by AL to sign him in Jan. As he wants away I personally think £250k plus with sell on clause is good business as at the moment he is still just potential 

I honestly don't understand how you have come to this conclusion. He has some talent yes but he's completely unproven and rumoured to be a bad egg in the dressing room.. 

23 hours ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

Any news on HMRC? Corney is a crook and it’s well known by most on here now. Shame it took so long for people to see and now we’re left with this mess. 

It's not been confirmed the outcome of the HMRC raid pre-Xmas. But I'm sure they would be interested in the sun report that Corney got £3million by selling the club

29 minutes ago, underdog said:

It's not been confirmed the outcome of the HMRC raid pre-Xmas. But I'm sure they would be interested in the sun report that Corney got £3million by selling the club

I'm pretty sure that HMRC have very little interest in anything the currant bun publish.

4 hours ago, Stanley30 said:

Byrne is way too good for L1 let alone L2, he’s potentially a top end championship player. Very similar mould to a Wes Hoolahan in his style of play.Pleasure to watch even if Wellens seemed to lose the plot with him towards the end of the season. Clever investment by AL to sign him in Jan. As he wants away I personally think £250k plus with sell on clause is good business as at the moment he is still just potential 

What a load of shite, did you see him at Wigan! Against a midfield who have been in the championship and been relegated! 

Nonsense, id happily get rid, the guys a cock

1 hour ago, welshgaz said:

I honestly don't understand how you have come to this conclusion. He has some talent yes but he's completely unproven and rumoured to be a bad egg in the dressing room.. 

What is the conclusion? He's way to good for league 1 let alone league 2, potentially a top end championship player but only worth 250k plus add on's because it's still just potential at the moment? From what i can work out you must think he's a mid table championship team central midfielder at present if he's way to good for league 1 but not yet a top end championship player, in which case he must be worth more than 250k plus add on's you would think.

Edited by oafc1000

I agree that at his peak he could play at the top end of the Championship, but he's currently a long way from his peak and has a lot of work to do to get there.  I genuinely think being a big fish in the small pond that is League Two could be the making of him.  As useful as he'd be to a League One team I doubt that anyone would build an attacking unit around him and I think he would throw his toys out of the pram at that.  We could do and I think he'd thrive.

3 hours ago, Le miserable1 said:

Byrne is a lazy good for nothing little shite.He thinks he is gods gift,Gardner is worth ten of him

I downboated not because of the part about Byrne's attitude, but the bit about Gardner being worth 10 of anyone.  Gardner is an upgrade on Ollie Banks because he can set a faster tempo, but that's about it.  He's a good footballer but I struggle to see what his role will be in our team next season.  His positional sense and tackling mean that we could do better in the deeper role and I'm not convinced that he'll be productive enough in advanced role.  As limited as Fane is, he has a more clearly defined role in the team.  I'll be disappointed if we don't find an upgrade on Gardner if he leaves.

Gardner will do well for us in league 2 as a centre midfielder in the same position be played this season. I dont see him making more of a difference further up the pitch he appears to be more an allrounder tackles abit passes abit. If we were in league 1 and looking to get to the championship then Id look for an upgrade but if the aim is trying to get out of league 2 then Id keep him and use whatever budget we have to upgrade in other areas. Although it appears we may struggle to do that.

40 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Gardner will do well for us in league 2 as a centre midfielder in the same position be played this season. I dont see him making more of a difference further up the pitch he appears to be more an allrounder tackles abit passes abit. If we were in league 1 and looking to get to the championship then Id look for an upgrade but if the aim is trying to get out of league 2 then Id keep him and use whatever budget we have to upgrade in other areas. Although it appears we may struggle to do that.

This exactly. He's a perfectly decent, good even, League Two player. Can tackle, pass, shoot reasonably well, puts effort in, not injury prone. Why would we spend money trying to replace him when we need other positions upgraded far more?

9 hours ago, oafc1000 said:

What is the conclusion? He's way to good for league 1 let alone league 2, potentially a top end championship player but only worth 250k plus add on's because it's still just potential at the moment? From what i can work out you must think he's a mid table championship team central midfielder at present if he's way to good for league 1 but not yet a top end championship player, in which case he must be worth more than 250k plus add on's you would think.

He still has loads to prove so should stay with us and show he is capable in L2. In terms of talent he probably is top end L1 but that talent has hardly shone through. 

He only showed he was capable in L1 when on loan. Once he signed permanently and teams worked him out he was useless. I'd take a fee for him, 100k would be amazing but I can't see anyone paying that kind of money.

Edited by welshgaz

1 minute ago, welshgaz said:

He still has loads to prove so should stay with us and show is capable in L2.

He only showed he was capable in L1 when on loan. Once he signed permanently and teams worked him out he was useless. I'd take a fee for him, 100k would be amazing but I can't see anyone paying that kind of money.

I'd take a fee for him too. What we need now is a team ethic, as much as the lad has ability in spades, the slapped arse attitude is only bad for team morale.

Byrne... is he any good?

For me, when he is up for it and plays in the right position, he is a decent footballer at league 1&2 level. However when he has a bad day then he looks ordinary. He spends too much time chasing the game and drops deeper in his search for the ball which then negates his effectiveness. His attitude has also been poor if things are not going his way and then he becomes a liability on the pitch. Wellens, in my opinion, has done the right thing in hauling him off early and sometimes dropping him to the bench.

There are any number of similar players at every level of the footballing pyramid - players with undoubted talent who end up wasting their opportunity to play at the highest level. Not that I am putting Byrne in the same bracket but players such as Barkley and Wilshere and, until recently, Grealish at Villa have not performed to their potential over the years.

And there’s the example of how strong man management has benefited a player - what Steve Bruce has done with the midfielder is astounding. Grealish now looks like a top top player.

If Wellens, or any manager, can take Byrne and his particular skills and manage him effectively then I am certain we would see Byrne deliver more consistent performances and become a vital part of a successful team.

• Like 1

Ofcourse Byrne is any good he is more than that the only reason he should leave is that if the manager feels his attitude is detrimental to the squad. A bad apple ruins the cart.

Whether he likes it or not he has to look himself in the mirror and say he didnt perform in the second half of the season. The reason we went down was because predominently the players didnt perform, the manager can only take so much of the blame. Its rumoured that hes off to peterborough, Steve Evans won't put up with him being billy big bollocks he will have to put a shift in or he wipe the fucking floor with him, that Rotherham team that went up in 2014 was one of the hardest working teams Ive seen at league 1 level, he will have to up his game going there.

Edited by GlossopLatic

Cant see Jack Byrne staying with us but no way is he at a Championship standard yet but could do a decent job in League One if he gets the benefit of playing time with an experienced playmaker (Jack Grealish has improved massively having the likes of John Terry in the dressing room and a very decent manager in Steve Bruce)

Any news on Davies and Holloway moving out yet ?