1 hour ago, singe said:

We know how shifty he has been about his support for Latics.

He really hasn't.  It's just that some people can't cope with anyone who isn't a fully committed, season ticket holder home and away man considering himself a fan.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

He really hasn't.  It's just that some people can't cope with anyone who isn't a fully committed, season ticket holder home and away man considering himself a fan.

I always thought it was genuine affection, rather than anything more. Despite the away coach trips. I have no issue with his byhood club being United. But what was that quote about us not taking x  fans to wherever about?

1 minute ago, singe said:

I always thought it was genuine affection, rather than anything more. Despite the away coach trips. I have no issue with his byhood club being United. But what was that quote about us not taking x  fans to wherever about?

Who cares?  If making one possibly slightly ill informed comment disqualifies anyone from anything then no body is qualified to do anything.

57 minutes ago, Oldham82 said:

Wonder if Abdullah back in oldham now

Who knows 

Who knows if Scholes is taking over or not or when.

We are just going to accept that we know nothing at this point it will all come out in the wash though.

Edited by GlossopLatic

Scholes and AL have been/still are in negotiations. The stumbling block for AL is he wants too much influence in recruiting players. The stumbling block for Scholes is this is totally

Unexeptable. 

With our three latest short term, jobing acquisitions it seems clear that a serious push for promotion this term is not on the cards.

With the next manager still up in the air it is hard to imagine any quality targets are lined up waiting. 

If any realistic applicant for the job was going create a meaningful increase in ST sales it must surely be Scholes. 

With AL continually scratching about for ‘generally’ underwhelmingly, ordinary players it time for him to grasp the reality of where a player fund is going to come from. 

Off course it is football and disasterishly difficult.

I often ask myself ‘how easy did he think it would be’. 

6 hours ago, singe said:

But what has he been doing for 5 years?

To be fair, if I came across a lottery win worth multiple millions, it'd take me at least five years to do anything more constructive than sit and watch all the box sets I've not seen yet. I'm with him on that at least.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, mikeroyboy said:

Bemoaning the fact that he has to pay £200k a month out of his own pocket and blaming the previous owners from early doors suggests he didn't give it any thought at all..

55 minutes ago, mikeroyboy said:

Scholes and AL have been/still are in negotiations. The stumbling block for AL is he wants too much influence in recruiting players. The stumbling block for Scholes is this is totally

Unexeptable. 

With our three latest short term, jobing acquisitions it seems clear that a serious push for promotion this term is not on the cards.

With the next manager still up in the air it is hard to imagine any quality targets are lined up waiting. 

If any realistic applicant for the job was going create a meaningful increase in ST sales it must surely be Scholes. 

With AL continually scratching about for ‘generally’ underwhelmingly, ordinary players it time for him to grasp the reality of where a player fund is going to come from. 

Off course it is football and disasterishly difficult.

I will be utterly amazed if Paul Scholes becomes manager at Oldham under the current regime. For his first job he needs to be able to do things his way and succeed or fail based on his own decisions, be that recruitment, team selection or tactics.

This is not a John Askey or someone similar, desperate for a way back into the game, this is a man who is financially secure, has other things going on in his life but would like to get involved as a manager or coach. This puts him in a position where he can afford to be more selective about what job he takes. 

Therefore and perhaps i will be proved wrong, I think he knows it wouldn’t be workable with the budgets involved for players and how active the owner and his brother are in transfers and selections.

i personally think that the fact Bunn was sacked at the end of December and we are nearly at the end of January and the transfer window and there is no permanent manager in place and only a week to go till the window closes, the owner won’t want to appoint before then, or if he does it will be a day or so before the end of the window. A new manager will clearly want a few of his own players in which clearly won’t sit well financially or if it means players the owner has signed not getting in the side.

Just my opinion, I guess we will see how it pans out.....

7 hours ago, HarryBosch said:

It's almost as if he'll be reluctantly taking a managers job because he thinks he should, and his mates are telling him he should, and he doesn't want to have any regrets when he's older about never giving it a go. 

None of which bodes well in my eyes. 

Gerrard and Lampard clearly really wanted to become managers and wasted no time getting into reasonably high profile jobs.

Scholes doesn't seem sure what he wants, or doesn't want.

I don't see him being any good at it and, even if he is, I don't see him sticking it out for long at all given his demeanour/temperament. 

That said, I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility that he could get a right tune out of us short term before it all going tits up a bit like Roy Keane at Sunderland...

He's a big boy Harry who's financially secure for life, so if he doesn't really want it I'm sure he wont take it!

On the field he looked pretty committed to me so lets hope if he takes the job he shows the same commitment.

5 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

Another world class, one of the greatest in his position, won nearly everything in the game, commanding the respect of his contemporaries and with great contacts bites the dust as a manager after just 3 months. Thierry Henry sacked by Monaco.

And that's with money to spend

44 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

Another world class, one of the greatest in his position, won nearly everything in the game, commanding the respect of his contemporaries and with great contacts bites the dust as a manager after just 3 months. Thierry Henry sacked by Monaco.

Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. Sol Campbell is doing a good job with probably the smallest budget in the league.

I've never thought Scholes would ever really want the job but it appears he's genuinely up for the challenge and looking at the alternative it's a no brainer . Pete Wild really is a good club man, I dont think hes cut out for the sharp end of football, not yet atleast, and John Askey someone who did well at Macc town but was sacked by Shrewsbury, not really an inspired choice is it. Scholes, one of if not the best midfielder of his generation clearly is. This will be the most high profile managerial appointment in the bottom 2 divisions.

No manager outside the championship has anywhere near his standing in football. His playing career won't guarantee any success as a manager they are 2 different things we all know that. But the players should feel inspired that someone that decorated in the game wants to come and coach them on a day to day basis. He should command their respect instantly.

Edited by GlossopLatic

51 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

Who do you think would be the best fit for the club then?, it's all well and good running Scholes down before he's even set foot in the joint I'd just be interested to know who you'd favour of the managers available.

1 hour ago, whittles left foot said:

So what? 

No one's claiming it would bring guaranteed success. 

28 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. Sol Campbell is doing a good job with probably the smallest budget in the league.

I've never thought Scholes would ever really want the job but it appears he's genuinely up for the challenge and looking at the alternative it's a no brainer . Pete Wild really is a good club man, I dont think hes cut out for the sharp end of football, not yet atleast, and John Askey someone who did well at Macc town but was sacked by Shrewsbury, not really an inspired choice is it. Scholes, one of if not the best midfielder of his generation clearly is. This will be the most high profile managerial appointment in the bottom 2 divisions.

No manager outside the championship has anywhere near his standing in football. His playing career won't guarantee any success as a manager they are 2 different things we all know that. But the players should feel inspired that someone that decorated in the game wants to come and coach them on a day to day basis. He should command their respect instantly.

I agree with everything you say but can I please be there when you tell Sol this? He was, of course, one of the greatest footballers in the world.