Callum Dolan

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

Looks to me like he is not match fit hence the limited game time. There is promise there but he needs to be given a more attacking role imho 

Thanks.

I understood he was a number 10 type player but it seems Mellon doesn't see him there?

I was always a bit sceptical as to why any teams further up the ladder didn't sign him.

Hope he comes good for us though as we desperately need a spark from somewhere. Looks like he should start at Woking now Khans made a dick of himself so will make my option Saturday, as it will be the first time I will see him live rather than on a shit stream!!

3 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

Have to agree, he has been very poor and done nothing.

He needs to be told to go out and express himself instead of stuck in a position where he's too deep and rarely in and around the penalty area where he's best. 

He wasnt far off scoring the only two occasions he was in that position recently, doesn't that tell MM anything?

Edited by BP1960
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

He needs to be told to go out and express himself instead of stuck in a position where he's too deep and rarely in and around the penalty area where he's best. 

He wasnt far off scoring the only two occasions he was in that position recently, doesn't that tell MM anything?

He's played just behind the striker in his two starts. I wouldn't see he's too deep at all. Just hasn't imposed himself on the game. When he did start doing last night, he was bordering on reckless hence his booking (which was correct).

Not sure with him yet, but he does press well and with energy.

Why does he lean so far back when he's in on goal, he's a bright player and I can see his qualities but for such a technically gifted player he shows little composure in front of goal, he could arguably be on a goal a game on restricted minutes but his technique let's him down, he'll need to start converting though as he's one of only a few players who look like they've a goal in them, I personally think he'll come good given game time and think he's the least of our worries.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

Why does he lean so far back when he's in on goal, he's a bright player and I can see his qualities but for such a technically gifted player he shows little composure in front of goal, he could arguably be on a goal a game on restricted minutes but his technique let's him down, he'll need to start converting though as he's one of only a few players who look like they've a goal in them, I personally think he'll come good given game time and think he's the least of our worries.

He has scored 2 career goals in 2470 mins of professional football according to Footy Stats. 1 in the NL South, and 1 in the FA Trophy.

Probably explains his questionable technique! 

A goal a game is probably a bit of a stretch for the lad....😉

Mellon's telling him to lean back while shooting and never get his knee over the ball ?  😁

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

He has scored 2 career goals in 2470 mins of professional football according to Footy Stats. 1 in the NL South, and 1 in the FA Trophy.

Played as a defensive midfielder at Fleetwood might explain that

He scored 21  in 50 appeances at Warrington Rylands, albeit at a lower level, which suggests he knows where the net is.

True he's been disappointing so far, but I still think he should be let off the leash like Haughton at Fylde, which unfortunately I don't see MM doing. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

What I mean by that is he's had at least one good chance in each game I've seen him, obviously he won't score them all but like Charsley he gets in to positions to score them which is a start.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Londonboy said:

There's a reason he's moved from L1 to NL

49 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

He scored 21  in 50 appeances at Warrington Rylands, albeit at a lower level, which suggests he knows where the net is.

True he's been disappointing so far, but I still think he should be let off the leash like Haughton at Fylde, which unfortunately I don't see MM doing. 

You should know BP its a massive difference between Step 3 and EFL1. Little pressure on him and a few carthorse defenders I'd imagine when at Warrington, and certainly easier when there is only circa 200 people watching him every week...

Granted he scored enough goals at Warrington for Fleetwood to fork out a few quid and take a punt on him, but it looks like, for whatever reason he has just stopped scoring goals when at a higher level.

As Dave O says there is probably a reason why he has dropped back down to the NL. Really hoping he can re-ignite his career with us as he has the opprtunity, but a Haughton I'd say he is not.....

Out of interest what team and formation would you put out to let him off the leash? Genuine question

42 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

You should know BP its a massive difference between Step 3 and EFL1. Little pressure on him and a few carthorse defenders I'd imagine when at Warrington, and certainly easier when there is only circa 200 people watching him every week...

Granted he scored enough goals at Warrington for Fleetwood to fork out a few quid and take a punt on him, but it looks like, for whatever reason he has just stopped scoring goals when at a higher level.

As Dave O says there is probably a reason why he has dropped back down to the NL. Really hoping he can re-ignite his career with us as he has the opprtunity, but a Haughton I'd say he is not.....

Out of interest what team and formation would you put out to let him off the leash? Genuine questionyeah he stopped scoring goals because when he joined fleetwood be was told he was the best on the ball and stuck as a holding midfielder and then obviously never got in or around the box,he got sigmed because of his hard word and goals he produced,then u bri g him in qnd play him as a holding midfielder😤

59 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

Out of interest what team and formation would you put out to let him off the leash? Genuine question

Same as Haughton a free role prompting and probing from central around the edge of the penalty area. Worth nothing Haughton played for Runcorn and Nantwich among other low tier clubs and scored only 17 goals in 114  appearances before signing for non league AFC Fylde at the age of 24. Dolan is only 23 and a background of 7 years at Manchester United. 

It's up to him to impose himself on defences though and play with full commitment. 

Edited by BP1960
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BP1960 said:

Same as Haughton a free role  prompting and probing from central around the edge of the penalty area. Worth nothing Haughton played for Runcorn and Nantwich among other low tier clubs and scored only 17 goals in 114  appearances before signing for Fleetwood at the age of 24. Dolan is only 23 and a background of 7 years at Manchester United. 

It's up to him to impose himself on defenses though and play with full commitment. 

He certainly played with more commitment last night and looked better for it, he could be what we've been missing but that's got to be there week in week out, he's still getting better each game so who knows where he can go.

5 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

He certainly played with more commitment last night and looked better for it, he could be what we've been missing but that's got to be there week in week out, he's still getting better each game so who knows where he can go.

Not sure we are the right club for him, perhaps Altrincham where they let Conn-Clarke do his own thing. 

30 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Same as Haughton a free role prompting and probing from central around the edge of the penalty area. Worth nothing Haughton played for Runcorn and Nantwich among other low tier clubs and scored only 17 goals in 114  appearances before signing for non league AFC Fylde at the age of 24. Dolan is only 23 and a background of 7 years at Manchester United. 

It's up to him to impose himself on defences though and play with full commitment. 

Thanks but you havn't answered the question.

"Out of interest what team and formation would you put out to let him off the leash?"

No point saying let him off the leash with no explanation how this fits in with the rest of our team?

2 hours ago, adamoafc said:

Showed glimpses of what he is capable of last night. Would be tempted to play one holding midfielder, probably Conlon two wingers and Dolan in the attacking Mid role behind two strikers. See what he can do. 

Problem is Adam our midfield would get sliced through like a knife through butter....

Conlan would be aboutk as effective as a chocolate fire guard 😂