Callum Dolan

4 hours ago, Londonboy said:

Thanks but you havn't answered the question.

"Out of interest what team and formation would you put out to let him off the leash?"

No point saying let him off the leash with no explanation how this fits in with the rest of our team?

Carsley did it with Jack Grealish, something Southgate wouldn't do. 

Many clubs have mavericks who can be match winners. 

11 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Carsley did it with Jack Grealish, something Southgate wouldn't do. 

Many clubs have mavericks who can be match winners. 

You still haven't answered the question BP....

Maybe I need to be clearer...

what would your line up be on Saturday with Dolan in this "free role"?

46 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

You still haven't answered the question BP....

Maybe I need to be clearer...

what would your line up be on Saturday with Dolan in this "free role"?

433 and put Dolan behind the striker. 

Or 3412, again behind the strikers. 

42 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

433 and put Dolan behind the striker. 

Or 3412, again behind the strikers. 

I prefer 442 with Dolan as an attacking midfielder with just one defensive midfielder, but MM is ultra cautious and would never do that. 

17 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

I prefer 442 with Dolan as an attacking midfielder with just one defensive midfielder, but MM is ultra cautious and would never do that. 

Conlon can’t do that on his own, that would be stupidity given how 4 in midfield got sliced open and you are basically relying on 1 in that formation. Also doesn’t give Dolan that free role you suggested as he would have much more responsibility to get back into the midfield 2 out of possession. 

• Like 1

Just now, LightDN123 said:

Conlon can’t do that on his own, that would be stupidity given how 4 in midfield got sliced open and you are basically relying on 1 in that formation. Also doesn’t give Dolan that free role you suggested as he would have much more responsibility to get back into the midfield 2 out of possession. 

I don’t mean to call you stupid at all by the way. Just my opinion based on the options we have. 

29 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

But if Dolan was in a free role as you described, that would leave us with 1 central midfielder. I don't think any manager would do that, nevermind Mellon.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Should have read this first as I've basically just said the same as you in slightly different wording!

12 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

If we get sliced open at will with 4 in midfield I suggest we’re fucked!!

9 minutes ago, Gaz_Oafc said:

If Dolan's played defensive mid before like BP suggests, I'd be tempted to try him there. Push Conlon and Gardner further forward.

Drop Lundstram.

He wants dropping alright….dropping back at Altrincham!!😆😆

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Gaz_Oafc said:

If Dolan's played defensive mid before like BP suggests, I'd be tempted to try him there. Push Conlon and Gardner further forward.

Drop Lundstram.

Conlon is probably our only midfielder with a good track record of scoring. I wonder if his current position is a permanent one due to his injury issues, or if he'll move further forward at some point. 

1 minute ago, nzlatic said:

Conlon is probably our only midfielder with a good track record of scoring. I wonder if his current position is a permanent one due to his injury issues, or if he'll move further forward at some point. 

Has to be worth a go as his current position doesn't appear to suit him at all, he doesn't impose himself or take control whatsoever.

I hope the Charsley injury isn't too serious as he'd be the only dead cert for me in that midfield at the moment. And has been one of our only goal threats

34 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

That would leave us completely exposed in midfield 

Exactly. Its fine to have these great ideas but in reality its bollocks with our current squad.

Im not Melons biggest fan but this would be suicide.....

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Has to be worth a go as his current position doesn't appear to suit him at all, he doesn't impose himself or take control whatsoever.

I hope the Charsley injury isn't too serious as he'd be the only dead cert for me in that midfield at the moment. And has been one of our only goal threats

I think Mellon wants someone to take the ball off the defence and be a starting point for our attacks. That’s fine but it takes Conlon away from the final third where he could possibly do more damage. However, we wouldn’t really have an obvious choice to replace him from our current squad I don’t think. 

Does anyone know what role he was played in at Port Vale?

2 hours ago, BP1960 said:

that would be reckless, we need a Daz Shez type player if we want to do that. but even if we did he isn't going to drop the Captain. l understand having an opinion but it needs to be viable.

Edited by Monty Burns
added another sentence

2 hours ago, Gaz_Oafc said:

Drop Lundstram.

Dolan was played outa position at fleetwood for the first time in his career as a defensive midfielder ,its not his best position,his best position has always been left attacking mid or even as a number 9,once he settles i believe he ll soon be on the score sheet on a regular basis and oldham obviously need all the firepower they can get at the moment

2 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

that would be reckless, we need a Daz Shez type player if we want to do that. but even if we did he isn't going to drop the Captain. l understand having an opinion but it needs to be viable.

Agree you'd need a yard dog, but we haven't got one so as I say MM will stick with his defensive mindset and nothing will change I'm afraid. 

3 hours ago, Londonboy said:

Exactly. Its fine to have these great ideas but in reality its bollocks with our current squad.

Im not Melons biggest fan but this would be suicide.....

You will never know until it's tried. We are playing step 5 opposition not the EPL. 

2 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

You will never know until it's tried. We are playing step 5 opposition not the EPL. 

Playing step 5 opposition with a step 5 team.
Latics are where they are for a reason..well, numerous reasons, actually.

1 minute ago, Wardie said:

Playing step 5 opposition with a step 5 team.
Latics are where they are for a reason..well, numerous reasons, actually.

That's what I  mean, most step 5 teams will have average defences we aren't even exploiting with the current formation. 

• Like 1

An observation I made on Tuesdsy was how much everyone worked that little but harder when Khan went off, if only we could instill that mindset when we had eleven, I know we turned in to the underdog in that moment but it took that to see that extra fight. 

8 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

An observation I made on Tuesdsy was how much everyone worked that little but harder when Khan went off, if only we could instill that mindset when we had eleven, I know we turned in to the underdog in that moment but it took that to see that extra fight. 

Or going 1 behind before we up the tempo. 

Or starting like it’s a testimonial. 

Or starting ok then fading after playing at tempo for 20 minutes. 

The opposing nature of what Mellon say he wants, (tempo/grit/hard work/have to run/move the ball quickly/look for the forward pass) and what we watch is the biggest thing that’s killing us at the minute. 

It’s either- 

The players are still in the comfort zone, and only play at tempo when they have to. 

Or 

They don’t believe in what he says.