Callum Dolan

2 hours ago, spanishfly said:

Having played at a reasonable level for nigh on 20 years, I can say this. If you have the right calibre of player under a manager who is great at motivating and gelling a team, the formation becomes much less relevant - you win football matches based on abilty all round the side. I'd say we have only got the right calibre of players in defence. 

Midfield is lacking and up front is becoming embarrassing - Norwood included.

As for the motivational manager; I'm starting to have doubts.

Agree completely with this. 
it’s the reason Mellon had played his 5-4-1 box midfield. He wants the 3 central defenders and doesn’t trust there to only be 3 in midfield.

Lundstram baffles me as he was running the show in this league with Altrincham in a two man central midfield albeit the other lad was the same young and mobile. With us he is a shadow of the player he was.

I think Conlon playing where he is is killing us.

I’d be playing 4-4-2, Caprice and Kitching as full backs who push on and pump crosses in for the two strikers who are both good in the air.

Charsley and Dolan as inverted wingers, Lundstram and Gardner in the middle with Lundstrams roll simplified to simply collecting the ball and giving it to the other midfielders or the full backs and never ever passing back to the defenders. 

8 minutes ago, b0ndl1ne said:

Lundstram baffles me as he was running the show in this league with Altrincham in a two man central midfield albeit the other lad was the same young and mobile. With us he is a shadow of the player he was.

I think Conlon playing where he is is killing us.

Lundstrum wasn't running the show, he was Conn-Clarke's legs, problem is we don't have a Conn-Clarke or a Haughton who Kay did similarly for.

With regards your second point I don't agree with you at all, Conlon does have that bit of quality about him, he was better suited with Gardner alongside as opposed to Lundstrum when we had two willing runners further forward in Charlsey and Hammond, problem is he's not as mobile as some and there's almost a reluctance from him to drive us forward at times in favour of a safe nothing pass, he's almost like the quarterback we need but he never throws the ball, he's terrific in the tackle, great in the air and can look after the football I just wish he was braver on the ball, nobody is going to criticise him for trying to make something happen but that's what we need from him, I was hoping he'd be more of a Palmer type or even a McCalmont dropping in to pick the ball up and start us off again but we've seen little of that from him so far.

5 hours ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

You could probably have a diamond in the midfield and push the full backs up for the width, having wingers and an AMC with Conlon on his own in midfield would be complete insanity though, we'd be torn to shreds in midfield. 

Why would we when taking a man from defensive midfield could mean attacking them in areas they are short of a player? 

Edited by BP1960

2 hours ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Because Conlon would be on his own against 2 or 3 players...

While we run riot on the flanks. 

They don't have 12 men on the pitch. 

Edited by BP1960

22 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Well no, but they do have 1 if not 2 extra men in midfield, an area we get dominated in at the best of times.

Can you name one successful side that has played one central midfielder?

Edited by Guy Branston Pickle

13 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Why would we when taking a man from defensive midfield could mean attacking them in areas they are short of a player? 

This is such a simple view of what happens during the game.  We have to remember the whole thing is dynamic.  Your ideas of “areas short of players”, should only exists for a very few seconds after a turnover. Teams who work hard will recover quickly, so you have to be able to move the ball quickly to the areas you may have an overload.

We just don’t move the ball quickly when we recover the ball.  When we loose the ball, we don’t recover quickly.  We don’t react to anything quickly. There in lies our biggest problem. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Pidge said:

This is such a simple view of what happens during the game.  We have to remember the whole thing is dynamic.  Your ideas of “areas short of players”, should only exists for a very few seconds after a turnover. Teams who work hard will recover quickly, so you have to be able to move the ball quickly to the areas you may have an overload.

We just don’t move the ball quickly when we recover the ball.  When we loose the ball, we don’t recover quickly.  We don’t react to anything quickly. There in lies our biggest problem. 

Exactly 👍

10 hours ago, BP1960 said:

What with Kay and Kahn as wingers??

Firstly they are not wingers who can run riot, and secondly one is suspended and the the other injured....

27 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

What with Kay and Kahn as wingers??

Firstly they are not wingers who can run riot, and secondly one is suspended and the the other injured....

I wasn't talking about today's team. 

They are both capable attacking wide men. 

Again I say this is non league and the opposition are  mainly journey men or released young players. Why are you making them out like Premiership players with the ability to destroy us? 

4 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

I wasn't talking about today's team. 

They are both capable attacking wide men. 

Again I say this is non league and the opposition are  mainly journey men or released young players. Why are you making them out like Premiership players with the ability to destroy us? 

They're still professional sides with the capability to dominate a side with ONE player in midfield. It won't work, it's a non-starter.

I'd say our best 4 in a 442 historically was Holden, Milligan, Henry, Adams. Ignoring the level I'd say we don't have a single player that matched the style of any of them. Whether we should have is a different question but we also know that the format in those days was infinitely flexible which kind of renders that debate moot anyway.

3 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

I'd say our best 4 in a 442 historically was Holden, Milligan, Henry, Adams. Ignoring the level I'd say we don't have a single player that matched the style of any of them. Whether we should have is a different question but we also know that the format in those days was infinitely flexible which kind of renders that debate moot anyway.

There was also Redfearn, but I thing Joe mainly preferred Adams

4 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

There’s far too much emphasis on playing formations these days!

On 9/13/2024 at 11:40 AM, spanishfly said:

Having played at a reasonable level for nigh on 20 years, I can say this. If you have the right calibre of player under a manager who is great at motivating and gelling a team, the formation becomes much less relevant - you win football matches based on abilty all round the side. I'd say we have only got the right calibre of players in defence. 

Midfield is lacking and up front is becoming embarrassing - Norwood included.

As for the motivational manager; I'm starting to have doubts.

Fair assessment.  So other than Wormwood Scrubs, who did you turn out for?

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

There’s far too much emphasis on playing formations these days!

The 9 at the back today from MM  is revolutionary though.

It might surprise the opposition so much we win. 

Then again.... 

1 hour ago, Lags said:

Fair assessment.  So other than Wormwood Scrubs, who did you turn out for?

Lol; had a stint at NPL level Lags with Witton Albion. I find it hard to comprehend that this is Latics level now i.e. NPl and National League both one below FL. 

Edited by spanishfly

2 hours ago, spanishfly said:

Lol; had a stint at NPL level Lags with Witton Albion. I find it hard to comprehend that this is Latics level now i.e. NPl and National League both one below FL. 

Just think  you could turn out for us now. 

22 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Has he upset Mellon already?, surprised he wasn't brought on today given the nature of the game.

Maybe rested and given the state of the game gave some minutes in legs to the returnees 

4 hours ago, Lags said:

I've emailed MM as I know he values experience. I'm not sure, however, on his stance regarding hemorrhoids, gout and varicose veins! Chuffed to bits with a win today. Two home wins now and the stay aways will start to believe and drift back to the fold.

4 hours ago, Lags said:

I've emailed MM as I know he values experience. I'm not sure, however, on his stance regarding hemorrhoids, gout and varicose veins! Chuffed to bits with a win today. Two home wins now and the stay aways will start to believe and drift back to the fold.