MATCH: vs Swindon Town (A) 12/03/22

6 hours ago, L1onheartNew said:

I said quite possibly. Bizarre or not.

The Bamboozler has been largely ineffective in his covering more ground than any other player and jumps lower than his height

This may well be my impending divorce talking, but I am over not being able to voice an opinion.

As of today, I am imposing a self-forum-ban.

We will not go down. Still Stevenage and Scunny.

Good luck everyone and be nice to each other.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, L1onheartNew said:

I said quite possibly. Bizarre or not.

The Bamboozler has been largely ineffective in his covering more ground than any other player and jumps lower than his height

This may well be my impending divorce talking, but I am over not being able to voice an opinion.

As of today, I am imposing a self-forum-ban.

We will not go down. Still Stevenage and Scunny.

Good luck everyone and be nice to each other.

jumps lower than his height

Agreed. Even worse in the air than Vera, considering his height.

5 hours ago, Chris15Arm said:

I wouldnt play them in this league. Even if we weren't in a battle. Couto is shocking defensively. I would attempt to change him into a winger. And Vaughan has been replaced at half time on numerous occasions because he cant handle the hustle and bustle of this league. He gets knocked off the ball too easily. And can't be effective tackling. He either needs to figure out how to use his low centre or he won't make it. No matter how talented he is. Whelan has been poor last few games, but no better option as whelan at least offers you work rate. He's all over the pitch. Hunt is a poor Bowden. Stobbs should be released. Bahamboula to be dropped. Fage even did well today for all the shit he gets. 3 last ditch interceptions in a RB position that he should never be playing in. Stupid challenge from clarke to get sent off. Then for shez to leave fage at CB instead of making a sub was unreal. Hart fcuked up for the goal. After saying all this though, who have we to come in? Noone. Tope isn't a miss. He's been poor apart from 10 mins against scunny. I was berated on other platforms a couple week ago after criticising draws at Colchester and Crawley. This is exactly why I criticised. They were our most winnable games. Now it looks like it's down to us or Stevenage, maybe barrow. After being 1 of 6 a couple week ago. And we have to win games in hand for us to even be classed in the same bracket as Stevenage and barrow. I dont think we will make it as shez got a tune but now has no other players to be able to change it up. Our only chance is luck and hope our opposition every week has an off day

Great post.

There have been a number of games this season where late goals have cost us dearly. If we class late as being less than five minutes to go, then I give you the following:

Fixture.         Scorer.       Points 
Newport (H) Ellison 88   Lost 1
Bradford (A). Angol 98    Lost 1
Tranmere (H) Jolley 90.  Lost 1
Newport (A). D’mtriu 89  Lost 2
Carlisle U (H). Guy 94      Lost 1
Swindon (A).  Conroy 96. Lost 1

And FOUR of the late goals conceded have come in 98, 90, 94 & 96 minute 😱

Two of them were when we had ten men on the pitch…

To balance this up we did benefit in two games:
Sutton U (A). Pidge 88
                    Luamba 96    Gain 3
Scunny (A) Luamba 83   Gain 2
- not quite last five but a late goal to win it

I know… I need to get out more 😮

13 hours ago, Ritchierich said:

I assume from a lot of the posts that not many actually saw the game. 

Just got back and we were unlucky, for all Swindon possession and attacking play they didn’t really look like they’d score until the Ref helped them out by not giving us a blatant shirt pull on Bam and they went  straight down the other end and got a set piece and our hastily reorganised defence got caught out having battled for 100 mins

Nothing wrong with the fight and passions today and do that for the remaining games and we’ll pick up the points we need 

Shez obviously doesn’t think the kids are the answer and he’s probably right

Swindon spent most of the game falling over and getting our players booked. The ref was shite and their fans pathetically quiet until they got their lucky break and then celebrated like they had won the league

Need a win on Tuesday 

I was at the game yesterday and I agree with the points about Swindon and the ref. I also agree that the players battled hard and showed good spirit.

My concerns though are that our options are very limited off the bench, and the midfield lacks the guile to allow us to have any periods where we can take control of a game. Whelan has his critics, but I can’t fault his work rate, he really gets around the pitch. What he can’t do is put his foot on the ball, look up and play the passes that alleviate the pressure. Missilou has improved us since he came back, he makes tackles, breaks up play and occasionally carries the ball, but somehow, as a two they can’t hold a game together. 

Hence we concede possession too easily when we try to get the ball forward, or play passively when in possession. In both cases this means we invite pressure and spend a lot of time without the ball.  

Adams helped in midfield  when he moved more central (and Hope went on the left), but of course that left us light up front, so, again, the ball kept coming back.

The squad is so light that I don’t know how Shez will fix this problem. The spirit is good and the team overall is compact and well organised defensively  but we need four wins and four draws or so to stay up, and it is not easy to see where they are coming from.

we also have to play on Tuesday without Clarke and probably McGahey, who I presume is injured. That means Hart at CB, Fage at RB and Coutto at LB. I doubt that back 4 would keep a clean sheet, so we will need a couple of goals to win at Walsall (which is probably one of our target games to get points from)

Overall, it doesn’t look great, and the optimism of the fans and the players that I witnessed at Newport is no longer there. It is going to be a pretty uncomfortable last 12 games but I am not going to give up just yet.

3 minutes ago, Andy Barlow’s dietician said:

I was at the game yesterday and I agree with the points about Swindon and the ref. I also agree that the players battled hard and showed good spirit.

My concerns though are that our options are very limited off the bench, and the midfield lacks the guile to allow us to have any periods where we can take control of a game. Whelan has his critics, but I can’t fault his work rate, he really gets around the pitch. What he can’t do is put his foot on the ball, look up and play the passes that alleviate the pressure. Missilou has improved us since he came back, he makes tackles, breaks up play and occasionally carries the ball, but somehow, as a two they can’t hold a game together. 

Hence we concede possession too easily when we try to get the ball forward, or play passively when in possession. In both cases this means we invite pressure and spend a lot of time without the ball.  

Adams helped in midfield  when he moved more central (and Hope went on the left), but of course that left us light up front, so, again, the ball kept coming back.

The squad is so light that I don’t know how Shez will fix this problem. The spirit is good and the team overall is compact and well organised defensively  but we need four wins and four draws or so to stay up, and it is not easy to see where they are coming from.

we also have to play on Tuesday without Clarke and probably McGahey, who I presume is injured. That means Hart at CB, Fage at RB and Coutto at LB. I doubt that back 4 would keep a clean sheet, so we will need a couple of goals to win at Walsall (which is probably one of our target games to get points from)

Overall, it doesn’t look great, and the optimism of the fans and the players that I witnessed at Newport is no longer there. It is going to be a pretty uncomfortable last 12 games but I am not going to give up just yet.

I have to disagree. There are other options. For instance, Adams at right back rather than the dreaded Fage, Diarra at centre back, Couto left back and Hart in place of the useless Whelan in midfield. Hart has more guile than Whelan, and a desire to push forward. I don’t think that Whelan is even aware that the ball can be played forward. Hopcutt deserves 90 minutes to prove himself. At least those changes would freshen things up.

24 minutes ago, The Greek said:

I have to disagree. There are other options. For instance, Adams at right back rather than the dreaded Fage, Diarra at centre back, Couto left back and Hart in place of the useless Whelan in midfield. Hart has more guile than Whelan, and a desire to push forward. I don’t think that Whelan is even aware that the ball can be played forward. Hopcutt deserves 90 minutes to prove himself. At least those changes would freshen things up.

Thanks for perfectly illustrating  my point about our thin squad with this post

27 minutes ago, The Greek said:

We probably have two of the first choice back four unavailable and you'd move one of the remaining two into midfield? 

Have we seen enough of Hunt to write him off yet? Seemed to be well regarded at Grimsby. I would bring him in alongside Missilou. Whelan has got better at ball winning but offers nothing going forward. Hunt or Vaughan in for him has to be worth a go now. 

Having been very optimistic about our chances after Newport, I’m now unfortunately expecting the inevitable to unfold.

Despite having his hands tied in January, Shez immediately addressed the one key deficiency that we’d been suffering from all season in signing Fondop. In that one signing, pressure on the defensive unit was alleviated and we were able to play further up the pitch. I said it at the time, but his injury was an absolute hammer blow and we’re back to playing the way we were pre-Shez.

What Shez has done to give us a chance is brilliant and the players are clearly giving their all, but we have statistically the hardest run-in, stuttering momentum and no fit centre forward. Priority number one has to be attempting to de-register Fondop to get someone of a similar ilk. If we’re unable to do so, I only see one outcome. 

1 hour ago, kowenicki said:

Name your starting XI. 

We all know the majority of our players aren’t the best… we are 91st in the league for a reason. 

I can't justify Bahamboula in the starting XI, precisely because we're 91st in the league, he's a luxury we can't afford. Bundles of skill, no doubt about it, but he's too peripheral too often. Maybe use him as an impact sub if/when the opposition are tiring.

19 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

I can't justify Bahamboula in the starting XI, precisely because we're 91st in the league, he's a luxury we can't afford. Bundles of skill, no doubt about it, but he's too peripheral too often. Maybe use him as an impact sub if/when the opposition are tiring.

As much as I  💕 Moyo, I agree that it would be for the best right now. 👍

1 hour ago, The Greek said:

Sadly Fage is not a very good right back, Diarra would be a liability at centre back, Adams is good on either wing and needs to stay there. Couto still leaves a lot to be desired defensively but may do well further forward, Hart has to play at the back.

Hopcutt has looked poor but I agree in giving him a start up front… I mean if Stobbs gets game time then….

As for the other defensive options…Jameson (not as bad as some make him out to be but still gets caught out far too often) and Sutton who was on the bench for Farsley Celtic yesterday 👀

Our squad is threadbare and we can’t cope if we get suspensions and injuries.

Let’s hope that McGahey is fit for Tuesday or we will really be in trouble with Clarke suspended.

😮 

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

We probably have two of the first choice back four unavailable and you'd move one of the remaining two into midfield? 

Yes I would if you want to win any more games. Whelan is a liability and causes Missilou to be severely overworked. Hart has something about him that is wasted at the back.

We are back to the team that failed so often for most of the season other than Missilou. I cannot see improvement in the results we got then for the same reasons we got so few points then. We simply have little firepower going forward and are always likely to concede. Other than DKD, how many goals have the forwards and midfield players contributed? Sheridan can get them better organised and motivated, but he can’t prevent injuries and suspensions and sadly can’t seem to get them to test the keeper when shooting.

I can’t believe how many shots we have that aren’t forcing the keeper into saves.

2 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

Our squad is threadbare and we can’t cope if we get suspensions and injuries.

Let’s hope that McGahey is fit for Tuesday or we will really be in trouble with Clarke suspended.

😮 

If Walsall beat us on Tuesday they're safe on 46pts and 15pts ahead of us

They haven't lost in the last 4 games, winning 2 v Hartlepool and Sutton and drawing 2 v Northampton and Barrow

On Tuesday, Barrow are at Scunny which you would think is not beyond them picking up 3pts but Stevenage host promotion chasing Northampton 

Stevenage then travel to Mansfield at the weekend which is a real toughie again for them

Our midweek game at Home v Sutton United on the 22nd March is our best chance to move above Stevenage 

Then we have a real relegation battle for survival at Stevenage on the 2nd April

Looks pretty grim otherwise

4 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

So who starts… what’s the XI?

Archived