National League Thread

EDIT:  I knew Williamson had been sacked by MK, but forgot that Carlisle had appointed him.

That's yet another blow for Gateshead, but they always seem to come out of these situations stronger so I wouldn't be surprised if they hire another good manager.

Edited by the_mighty_bosh

3 hours ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

EDIT:  I knew Williamson had been sacked by MK, but forgot that Carlisle had appointed him.

That's yet another blow for Gateshead, but they always seem to come out of these situations stronger so I wouldn't be surprised if they hire another good manager.

Rob Elliot was part of Williams backroom staff so they had continuity there. Their style of football and player recruitment is part of the ethos that both of them were behind. I can't see them continuing that IMO. I expect them to plummet a bit now.

14 hours ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Thought it was Williamson’s decision to leave MK?

1 hour ago, Hemel latic said:

It was. Looks odd on the face of it but perhaps he didn't settle down south and Carlisle more on his home patch.

I think he was close to getting sacked so jumped before he was pushed:

https://www.miltonkeynes.co.uk/sport/football/mk-dons/williamson-may-have-walked-before-mk-dons-had-the-chance-to-push-him-4788657

Edited by TwistingMyMellon

Part of the reason I'm more comfortable with a manager like Mellon is because of how tempting it probably is for the 'young progressive' coach in the very early stages of their career to want to climb the ladder and move on when better opportunities present themselves. Gateshead look like losing their 2nd in a year, Williamson moved again, Notts County got stung when their manager left for Swansea and their form plummeted. They then took Wealdestone's young manager. It's hard to get continuity when that happens.

If you contrast that with the likes of Parkinson at Wrexham and Challinor at Stockport, those clubs could maybe attribute some of their current success to the continuity of keeping hold of their experienced managers. Hopefully if Mellon takes us up, he's not as attractive an option for clubs higher up the pyramid and also will be more aware himself of the volitility of the profession. So the chances of him staying and us kicking on again in league 2 are potentially higher.

7 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Part of the reason I'm more comfortable with a manager like Mellon is because of how tempting it probably is for the 'young progressive' coach in the very early stages of their career to want to climb the ladder and move on when better opportunities present themselves. Gateshead look like losing their 2nd in a year, Williamson moved again, Notts County got stung when their manager left for Swansea and their form plummeted. They then took Wealdestone's young manager. It's hard to get continuity when that happens.

If you contrast that with the likes of Parkinson at Wrexham and Challinor at Stockport, those clubs could maybe attribute some of their current success to the continuity of keeping hold of their experienced managers. Hopefully if Mellon takes us up, he's not as attractive an option for clubs higher up the pyramid and also will be more aware himself of the volitility of the profession. So the chances of him staying and us kicking on again in league 2 are potentially higher.

Part of it has to be the attraction of the current gig - both Parkinson and Challinor still have headroom in their current projects. They'd need to be offered a championship club with premier league aspirations to potentially tempt them away.

Hopefully Mellon thinks he has a similar berth, he certainly talks of going through the leagues.

With the Gateshead managers you can't really blame them given the National League appears to be their ceiling.    

6 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

Part of it has to be the attraction of the current gig - both Parkinson and Challinor still have headroom in their current projects. They'd need to be offered a championship club with premier league aspirations to potentially tempt them away.

Hopefully Mellon thinks he has a similar berth, he certainly talks of going through the leagues.

With the Gateshead managers you can't really blame them given the National League appears to be their ceiling.    

Can Gateshead even get promoted ? 

11 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Can Gateshead even get promoted ? 

Yeah, that's my point. National League is as high as they can go unless their local council give them some greater certainty over their tenancy at the stadium (I believe), or alternatively move to a new ground that would comply with the requirements of the football league.

Edited by Hemel latic

26 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

Yeah I agree when it comes to Gateshead. With Notts County though, they were looking likely for promotion again along with Wrexham when Williams left. The likes of Swansea would never look at Phil Parkinson for a comparison.

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

Are there even 1500 teachers in the town? Royle and the board seems to have a strange fixation with academics, weird that they've been singled out for such lofty treatment, personally I'd have rewarded NHS staff or the Armed Forces if we are looking for a sector to reward but I suppose it's whatever floats your boat.

Got to say this Dale Harris fella doesn't strike me as any sort of Commercial Manager neither, he should probably concentrate on selling the hospitality packages as opposed to looking for opportunities to let 1500 in for free, what's that going to acheive?.

1 hour ago, nzlatic said:

Yeah I agree when it comes to Gateshead. With Notts County though, they were looking likely for promotion again along with Wrexham when Williams left. The likes of Swansea would never look at Phil Parkinson for a comparison.

Good point, although County seem to have got back on track this season and I think you're right about Swansea and Parkinson. I'm not anti-Wrexham (or Parkinson) but I do think it'll be interesting how they cope when they have a bad run, they've had nothing but jam really for the past 2.5 seasons.

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

Are there even 1500 teachers in the town? Royle and the board seems to have a strange fixation with academics, weird that they've been singled out for such lofty treatment, personally I'd have rewarded NHS staff or the Armed Forces if we are looking for a sector to reward but I suppose it's whatever floats your boat.

Got to say this Dale Harris fella doesn't strike me as any sort of Commercial Manager neither, he should probably concentrate on selling the hospitality packages as opposed to looking for opportunities to let 1500 in for free, what's that going to acheive?.

you sound like one of those who moan about teacher strikes

22 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Dale’s missing a trick here, surely. He ought to be offering free tickets to Free Gear Keir and his cabinet colleagues. Can’t beat having friends in high places.

Edited by Worcester Owl

7 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Hi yarddog - The below extract from an article in inews (Dec 23) helps to answer the question regarding "fixation with academics" :-

Royle identified Ormskirk as the template for Oldham to follow. “It was a market town going to ruin until Edge Hill College turned into Edge Hill University. That university higher education economy has been a fantastic boost for Ormskirk. It’s thriving. Oldham doesn’t have that.

Manchester mayor Andy Burnham has a much bigger vision that we are working on together with Oldham Council and our MPs, Angela Raynor, Jim McMahon and Debbie Abrahams. That is all about the economy. Education is the key to that, to increase standards of living and address the brain drain of young people leaving.

“We have not got a higher education economy here and we have a problem with young people not moving into higher education, which means you are stuck. We have some great institutions like the Sixth Form College, Oldham College and other schools, and we have Eton setting up a sixth form college in Oldham. They want to have a chat with the club to understand what our plans are.

“We have a plot of land here bigger than the Etihad complex, lots of green space that they wanted to build houses on. We don’t want to do that. We want to build something for the young people of Oldham. The vision is a sports town, with higher education around sport that will bring facilities to life during the week not just the 23 [match] days a year.

“That will involve football and rugby. We also have some of the best netball players in the UK coming from Oldham, which is not talked about enough. That’s another sport we have to try to build facilities for and an education pathway. It is the education economy that will underpin the non-match day activity.”

The club plans to use the new stand named after Darren’s father, Joe, to house educational facilities capable of hosting 500 students. There are other sites under consideration too that would double the intake. Talks are under way with colleges and universities to deliver the programmes, and the club expects to formally launch the sports town initiative later this month or early in the New Year.

“The beauty of the higher education economy is it brings up to 50 per cent of students from outside Greater Manchester, people living and spending in Oldham,” Royle says. “So we are doing this for the benefit of the town as well as the club, driving social value and doing something good.”