National League Thread

11 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

following relegation, Smith had rejected a new contract offer

Vaguely recall us being linked with him when at Macc in 18/19  when he was on road to recovery from mental health and gambling issues.

Thankfully done okay since but seems happiest darn sarf (from Chatham) and even found it hard to settle in glorious Devon.

31 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

following relegation, Smith had rejected a new contract offer

Perhaps he's considering a good offer. Not sure we'd be the right club for him though, he seems to have problems settling into various locations.

Sometimes its not always about ability.

1 hour ago, Boyyou said:

Vaguely recall us being linked with him when at Macc in 18/19  when he was on road to recovery from mental health and gambling issues.

Thankfully done okay since but seems happiest darn sarf (from Chatham) and even found it hard to settle in glorious Devon.

I lived in Chatham years ago. I'd have thought anyone would be grateful for an escape route

No reason to doubt the 5 players agreed but why are we waiting till the 1st July to announce. Teams are making signings. Barnet signed 12, including Hartigan. 

I know contracts change over on the 1st but what’s the benefit of not announcing signings until then? 

1 minute ago, BradKnowles1 said:

No reason to doubt the 5 players agreed but why are we waiting till the 1st July to announce. Teams are making signings. Barnet signed 12, including Hartigan. 

I know contracts change over on the 1st but what’s the benefit of not announcing signings until then? 

Long shot, but maybe keeping it quiet for our benefit for negotiation reasons? 

Mellon has said we don’t have much budget (we do), so maybe making the most of that given we have overpaid for crap. 

39 minutes ago, BradKnowles1 said:

Out of the names mentioned (guessed) Hartigan was the one who I thought yes, good signing. Hope to God when they do pitch up there's some quality signings.

Being as Barnet have signed Hartigan, Shelton (cough) and 10 others, any chance we could pick up Zak Brunt?

Edited by mick26

1 minute ago, mick26 said:

Out of the names mentioned (guessed) Hartigan was the one who I thought yes, good signing. Hope to God when they do pitch up there's some quality signings.

Yep he’s the only one I’ve really liked us linked with. I’m not having Jamie Stott is better than Raglan and Hobson. Waters not really an upgrade on what we have. Even Fondop is moving to the EFL. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

I lived in Chatham years ago. I'd have thought anyone would be grateful for an escape route

Quite enjoyed the historic dockyard but, yes, know what you mean Dave_Og. Some ancestors came from Southwark. No wonder they escaped up north!

51 minutes ago, BradKnowles1 said:

Yep he’s the only one I’ve really liked us linked with. I’m not having Jamie Stott is better than Raglan and Hobson. Waters not really an upgrade on what we have. Even Fondop is moving to the EFL. 

Stott is a leftie thouigh.

Hartlepool signing Adam Campbell is a good, and surprising bit of business. I think they’ll be in the mix with Sarrl at the helm.

I’m not getting carried away with Barnet. Yes, they’ll be up there and Hartigan is a gun midfielder but I think Dean Brennan is a bit of a big game bottler myself.

1 hour ago, LightDN123 said:

Mellon has said we don’t have much budget (we do), so maybe making the most of that given we have overpaid for crap. 

How do you know ‘we do’?

We’ve moved on or released 20 players from a squad of 37. DR said MM wants a squad of 20 outfield players. If these 5 signings are true, then that would be bang on the required squad size. 

It would also mean 20 players have left and been replaced by 6 new players. Which means his comments about not having much budget isn’t wide of the mark. He also went onto say he’ll have to wheel and deal, which is exactly what’s happening.

There’s nothing to suggest he’s lying about the budget. We have spunked a fortune, and the spending needs to be a lot leaner and wiser. Which again, is exactly what happening. 

4 hours ago, BradKnowles1 said:

The correct way to do business apparently.

8 hours ago, Gaz_Oafc said:

It's already gone hasn't it?

He's a free agent

He is, but I thought there might be half a chance he'd still stay on.  At the fans forum Mellon seemed to suggest we might be able to offer deals to the out-of-contracters if we freed up some budget... which we've now done. 

If Fondop's got a deal in the EFL, then fair play to him. A loss to us, though.

3 minutes ago, JoeP said:

He is, but I thought there might be half a chance he'd still stay on.  At the fans forum Mellon seemed to suggest we might be able to offer deals to the out-of-contracters if we freed up some budget... which we've now done. 

If Fondop's got a deal in the EFL, then fair play to him. A loss to us, though.

I get where you're coming from. His energy and enthusiasm was one of the only shining lights in the last few games of a terrible end to last season.

I just don't think his overall play is good enough but I do think the club should try to at least sign him.  

51 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

I get where you're coming from. His energy and enthusiasm was one of the only shining lights in the last few games of a terrible end to last season.

I just don't think his overall play is good enough but I do think the club should try to at least sign him.  

He's untidy and clumsy on occasions, but his overall play is fine. He's scored goals in whatever questionable tactics Shez, Unsworth or Mellon have decided upon. Runs at the opposition, scores from range, scores up close, scores with head and feet. We haven't got another player that does all of that. 

Norwood and Garner - great reputation at previous clubs - but there's no where near enough movement, if that's going to be the front partnership of choice next year. 

Edited by JoeP

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

He's untidy and clumsy on occasions, but his overall play is fine. He's scored goals in whatever questionable tactics Shez, Unsworth or Mellon have decided upon. Runs at the opposition, scores from range, scores up close, scores with head and feet. We haven't got another player that does all of that. 

Norwood and Garner - great reputation at previous clubs - but there's no where near enough movement, if that's going to be the front partnership of choice next year. 

I call bollocks…Norwood never stops making runs it’s just that the majority of our outfield players were crap and just weren’t on the same wavelength!!

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

I call bollocks…Norwood never stops making runs it’s just that the majority of our outfield players were crap and just weren’t on the same wavelength!!

Well what good is that to us? 

Make runs that the rest of the team can read...