National League Thread

9 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

He's a serious amount of work to do before we get anywhere near

What seemed tough last season, will be even tougher and nothing's changed here to make a difference.

Nothings changed?

Except we've signed 5 players and moved on 12 and we will see more movement probably by the start of the season and certainly by the end of August.

We will see a different team this season.

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

What seemed tough last season, will be even tougher and nothing's changed here to make a difference.

You’re being overly pessimistic. 2 more signings and I honestly think we’ll be the team to beat!!

48 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

You’re being overly pessimistic. 2 more signings and I honestly think we’ll be the team to beat!!

I suspect we won't have a runaway leader, or leaders, this season although the bookies have made Barnet hot favourites on the back of their summer's recruitment.

5 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

I suspect we won't have a runaway leader, or leaders, this season although the bookies have made Barnet hot favourites on the back of their summer's recruitment.

They made us 2nd favourites last season due to our summer recruitment and that went well!!😂😂

1 hour ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

I'm not sure if you've managed to watch us pre season or not yet?, we look a different team, I'd say very strong defensively with plenty of options from the bench, Ogle particularly looks like the RB we've been crying out for and Manny Monthe has slotted in to a back three with Hobson and Raglan effortlessly, all three have been class in the two home friendlies and dare I say it formidable. Kitch also back to his best is a huge bonus for us.

Hudson has come back in fine form, question marks around Norman whose hardly featured pre season and when he has he struggled so we probably need to bring a keeper in, not sure what's going on with him as he had obvious ability but seems to have lost all focus.

Midfield is vastly improved, each player in there is being encouraged to get the ball down and knock it about, plenty of graft as well which will be needed. Conlon back fit and healthy with the armband is much improved, I like Kays industry and desire to make things happen, he's no shrinking violet and mixes it up as well as having the ability to play a bit as well, can play a few positions including wingback which will give us options, Chersley is just finding his feet but I'm confident he will be an upgrade on what we've seen the last couple of seasons and Lundstrum is growing in confidence and showing the signs of the player we know is in there, he still needs to be braver on the ball because he has the ability to both find a pass and drive us up the pitch when required.

Upfront would be the only worry, none of the fit strikers are really firing yet and there are still question marks over each of them, Fondop has done a job to a degree, Willoughby and Reid just haven't got going yet so it's crucial we get Norwood and Garner back in to the mix or even dip in to the transfer market if the right player comes along.

I'm far more positive after seeing us this preseason, we look a decent side and are probably only a couple of signings away from being a very good one for the level, we've controlled games against better opposition for long spells, created plenty of chances and looked far more accomplished already than anything Unsworth put out, honestly with a bit of luck and an half decent start I think we will be right in the mixer, we look professional, slick and right at it going in to this campaign and I can't wait for the season to get started, even at £5.25 a can.

• Like 11

23 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I'm not sure if you've managed to watch us pre season or not yet?, we look a different team, I'd say very strong defensively with plenty of options from the bench, Ogle particularly looks like the RB we've been crying out for and Manny Monthe has slotted in to a back three with Hobson and Raglan effortlessly, all three have been class in the two home friendlies and dare I say it formidable. Kitch also back to his best is a huge bonus for us.

Hudson has come back in fine form, question marks around Norman whose hardly featured pre season and when he has he struggled so we probably need to bring a keeper in, not sure what's going on with him as he had obvious ability but seems to have lost all focus.

Midfield is vastly improved, each player in there is being encouraged to get the ball down and knock it about, plenty of graft as well which will be needed. Conlon back fit and healthy with the armband is much improved, I like Kays industry and desire to make things happen, he's no shrinking violet and mixes it up as well as having the ability to play a bit as well, can play a few positions including wingback which will give us options, Chersley is just finding his feet but I'm confident he will be an upgrade on what we've seen the last couple of seasons and Lundstrum is growing in confidence and showing the signs of the player we know is in there, he still needs to be braver on the ball because he has the ability to both find a pass and drive us up the pitch when required.

Upfront would be the only worry, none of the fit strikers are really firing yet and there are still question marks over each of them, Fondop has done a job to a degree, Willoughby and Reid just haven't got going yet so it's crucial we get Norwood and Garner back in to the mix or even dip in to the transfer market if the right player comes along.

I'm far more positive after seeing us this preseason, we look a decent side and are probably only a couple of signings away from being a very good one for the level, we've controlled games against better opposition for long spells, created plenty of chances and looked far more accomplished already than anything Unsworth put out, honestly with a bit of luck and an half decent start I think we will be right in the mixer, we look professional, slick and right at it going in to this campaign and I can't wait for the season to get started, even at £5.25 a can.

Let's start taking games seriously when the opposition try and tackle us. Admire your optimism, but that's some crazy arse overreaction for a pre-season run that has seen one win in three...

Edited by Lee Sinnott
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Let's start taking games seriously when the opposition try and tackle us. Admire your optimism, but that's some crazy arse overreaction for a pre-season run that has seen one win in three...

I think the optomisn stems from being played off the park by Mansfield in a pre season friendly to looking just as good as league one opposition this season. 

Certainty playing as a unit now rather than dysfunctionly. 

As mentioned scoring goals may be the concern. 

Edited by BP1960
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Calm down Faz...

25 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Whose arsed if we win a pre season game?, I'm certainly not, I'm reacting to what I've seen, how we set up, patterns of play and how the new signings are integrating with the group, it's chalk and cheese compared to last pre season, let's see where it takes us then before you knock my opinion.

I know your not one for a friendly but I like to go along to see where we are at and last season had me worried, I posted on here that I feared the worst as we showed little and were arguably lucky at places like Hyde and Curzon, even Chorley who we blitzed late on should have led by two or three at the break, Southport we hardly mustered a shot and we didn't lay a glove on Mansfield who cruised to victory, this pre season feels different against arguably better opposition so forgive me from feeling optimistic but that's where I'm at, at the moment.

14 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Calm down Faz...

Great contribution Rob 👏👏👏

• Like 3

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

What formation are we playing? 3 at the back so is it a 343 with 2 centre miss, 2 wide forwards and 1 central? 

5 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

What formation are we playing? 3 at the back so is it a 343 with 2 centre miss, 2 wide forwards and 1 central? 

But is it one central striker out of choice or lack of options?

51 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

We have been playing a box midfield. The width comes from the wing backs. 

I think if we are playing a wing back system then the current box formation suits us better. 

We could only change to a two up top if we had a number 10 to provide the creativity for the two strikers. 

Also worth considering, we were forced into this system due to Ogle getting injured in Scotland. Originally it was going to be a 433. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nzlatic said:

As far as I could tell, against Lincoln it was a fluid 3421 that changed to 541 when we were defending deep.

• Thanks 1

We've played with the three at the back, wingbacks, two midfielders sitting in Conlon and Lundstrum with two further forward Chersley and Kay supporting a lone striker.

Main difference to last season is how we go short and play the ball and the width that the wing backs create by hugging the touchline, we make full use of the pitch by stretching the opposition, there's also a lot more emphasis on winning the ball back when we lose possession, rather than retreat as a team we actively go after the ball as a group.

We also look fitter, sharper and hungrier as a group and I can't see this team as it stands folding or having the piss took out of it like we did on occasions last season.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

Nothings changed?

Except we've signed 5 players and moved on 12 and we will see more movement probably by the start of the season and certainly by the end of August.

I hope so because the last one wasn't worth trailing down town for

It's encouraging, but pre-season means nowt.

I don't like playing one up front.  Especially with the incapable midfield we had last season.  I'm not Norwood's biggest fan but I empathise with his frustration (and any other striker that didn't show it as obviously) at being isolated a lot of the time.  We showed form when Garner and Fondop played and glimpses when Fondop/Dallas and Norwood played together. 

Hope fully Mellon knows how to play one up front properly this time.

1 hour ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

I hope so because the last one wasn't worth trailing down town for

It is a different team we've signed half a team and got rid of an entire team, the majority of the players we got rid of weren't contributing at all to us and those that were the likes of Mcgahey and Sheron we needed to upgrade on anyway. 

I don't know if we are going to be better or not than last season but the players we've brought in are for of the areas of the team particularly wide areas, where we have been weak in. I don't read too much into pre season but from the posts from those that have been to the games and seen the team with their own eyes  they appear to give some encouragement to the notion of improvement.

Its going to be 5th tier football, which means it wont always be good (understatement), A final tweak still needs to be made in the forward department and maybe midfield too I feel, but last seasons side which wasn't always the best to watch (that might be another rather large understatement) was only 8 points away from a top 7 position. (Convert those 3 home loses to Kidderminster, Fylde and Wealdstone into wins and you are there) Then a promotion challenge could well be on the cards if we get abit of forward momentum.

Let's not also lose sight of the fact we have a manager who has done it before at other clubs infact he has more promotion experience than any other manager in this division. We shouldn't judge him purely of the first 6 months of his tenure working with a squad the majority of which he didn't sign. That type of thinking was part of the previous regimes failures and we should move away from that philosophy. He appears to have given the right diagnosis to the squad let's see if we see improvement.

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

It's encouraging, but pre-season means nowt.

Pre-season results mean nowt. Pre-season means a great deal - a chance for players to get match fit, newcomers to bed in, and for MM to assess how the squad is shaping up.

We've had some terrible pre-seasons in the past so it would be silly to dismiss the preparations going into this one.

• Like 1

Guest O.A.F.C.
11 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

Pre-season results mean nowt. Pre-season means a great deal - a chance for players to get match fit, newcomers to bed in, and for MM to assess how the squad is shaping up.

We've had some terrible pre-seasons in the past so it would be silly to dismiss the preparations going into this one.

I've never seen a decent friendly performance that has related to a good start in the league.  They should be played behind closed doors with the results kept confidential.

Guest O.A.F.C.
6 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

Nothings changed?

But unfortunately with the same manager 🤮

Edited by O.A.F.C.

1 hour ago, O.A.F.C. said:

But unfortunately with the same manager 🤮

Yep the same one with 5 promotions on his CV.

But we can keep sacking the manager every 6 months if you like. It's worked wonders for us this last decade of unprecedented success hasn't it?

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 5

13 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

I mean I think you know I meant the results..

We've had some terrible pre season results and performances and then done alright in the league and vice versa..

20 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

It is a different team we've signed half a team and got rid of an entire team, the majority of the players we got rid of weren't contributing at all to us and those that were the likes of Mcgahey and Sheron we needed to upgrade on anyway. 

I don't know if we are going to be better or not than last season but the players we've brought in are for of the areas of the team particularly wide areas, where we have been weak in. I don't read too much into pre season but from the posts from those that have been to the games and seen the team with their own eyes  they appear to give some encouragement to the notion of improvement.

Its going to be 5th tier football, which means it wont always be good (understatement), A final tweak still needs to be made in the forward department and maybe midfield too I feel, but last seasons side which wasn't always the best to watch (that might be another rather large understatement) was only 8 points away from a top 7 position. (Convert those 3 home loses to Kidderminster, Fylde and Wealdstone into wins and you are there) Then a promotion challenge could well be on the cards if we get abit of forward momentum.

Let's not also lose sight of the fact we have a manager who has done it before at other clubs infact he has more promotion experience than any other manager in this division. We shouldn't judge him purely of the first 6 months of his tenure working with a squad the majority of which he didn't sign. That type of thinking was part of the previous regimes failures and we should move away from that philosophy. He appears to have given the right diagnosis to the squad let's see if we see improvement.

Josh Kay is the signing that could bring a change of fortune for the club

Always rated him

18 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

Yep the same one with 5 promotions on his CV.

But we can keep sacking the manager every 6 months if you like. It's worked wonders for us this last decade of unprecedented success hasn't it?

He's got this season to make his mark or he'll just be another statistic on the ever lengthening list of failing manager's at our club.