National League Thread

After a couple of games I think there could be quite a few teams happy with their starts, looks to me like quite an open league this season.

Rochdale dare I say it look very good Uchegbulam's replacement Allarakhia from Wealdstone looks a particularly good signing.

York have also started very strongly, unlucky just to get a point at Southend they were comfortable winners yesterday.

Add Barnet, Forest Green, Sutton, Gateshead, Hartlepool and Southend in to the mix and it's looking like there could be plenty fancying their chances.

It's still an open league we won't see the league take shape properly until usually the 10 game mark. It took us 7 games to get to 6 points last season we've done it in 2 this time which is a good sign.

We will need to maintain this we won't win every week and we will have a couple of bad results. How quickly we get out of those bad patched will go a long way to defining our season. We didn't make the top 7 last season due to a bad start and a bad finish each lasted about 10 games. We cut that out this season we have an excellent chance.

I don't believe there is a Chesterfield or a Wrexham and Notts County this season I don't think anyone is going to be that formidable and a cut above everyone. But we may well have a strong top 7 who might be better than the rest but are closely matched. Still believe it will be Barnet and Forrest Green will be the 2 that go up but we've every chance of being in the mix with them.

Edited by GlossopLatic

Think the first 2 games could be quite telling tbh and go to show what the season will become. We have won the first 2, 1 quite comfortably, and still find ourselves only 3rd.

The level of points return and performance will have to be incredibly high consistently to get top spot. 

However ive not seen anything in any other team to fear. Barnet are clearly beatable. Forest green struggled in the first game and sutton only drew with a minnow first time out. 

For me the one to watch is definitely gateshead but the olley injury could be season changing for them. He will be a big loss. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, philliggi said:

Think the first 2 games could be quite telling tbh and go to show what the season will become. We have won the first 2, 1 quite comfortably, and still find ourselves only 3rd.

We’ve played 2 games and have maximum points just like the top few in all the leagues. We have to be happy with our decent start but that’s all it is just now…a decent start.

At this stage our form is good but it will be 10 or 15 games before we can properly assess where we are, Fylde were top of the league at 4.00pm yesterday, this morning they sit in 15th place!!😂😂

Edited by oafc1955

37 minutes ago, philliggi said:

The level of points return and performance will have to be incredibly high consistently to get top spot. 

However ive not seen anything in any other team to fear. Barnet are clearly beatable. Forest green struggled in the first game and sutton only drew with a minnow first time out. 

For me the one to watch is definitely gateshead but the olley injury could be season changing for them. He will be a big loss. 

Interested to see what ban the Woking player will get for that tackle.  A literal leg-breaker and completely reckless.

4 hours ago, AndyB2 said:

I haven’t ever seen any ability in nuttall. 

The link up play putting Norwood through and scoring in the home game we battered someone last season was class (can't remember who it was against), Tollitt scored the last one - think it was 5-1. Shit my memory is shot. 

1 minute ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Interested to see what ban the Woking player will get for that tackle.  A literal leg-breaker and completely reckless.

Awful that but the ref let a couple of naughty tackles by Gateshead players go unpunished in the lead up to that challenge, their lad probably went after retribution, not condoning his behaviour but that's an example of a referee losing control of a game by allowing too much to go unpunished.

Gateshead do like to leave a bit in themselves and are a bunch of gob shites but no player deserves that. Olley will be a huge miss for them, he's the sort I wish we'd signed.

• 2 weeks later...

Some real ambition being shown by FGR signing Harry Cardwell from Southend and Quigley from Chesterfield so supplement Doidge up top.

Doesn't feel right somehow, Cardwell moving from the best supported team in the division to FGR in the same division but money talks.   

2 hours ago, Hemel latic said:

Some real ambition being shown by FGR signing Harry Cardwell from Southend and Quigley from Chesterfield so supplement Doidge up top.

Doesn't feel right somehow, Cardwell moving from the best supported team in the division to FGR in the same division but money talks.   

The whole thing at Southend seems a little odd. One assumed they'd be well off financially post-takeover, yet Cardwell leaving and the news that they didn't bother with an overnight stay for a 600 mile round trip match reeks of a club run by someone like Simon Corney. Maybe some insight from @Glossop Shrimper?

FRG pose the biggest threat for me. They were both big, statement signings and their result at Sutton (who I figured would be up there) suggests a title punt. I wouldn't want to be in a position of trailing them by 10 or 12 points really if we have firm designs on a title campaign. I think Barnet and York will drop points semi-frequently.

9 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

The whole thing at Southend seems a little odd. One assumed they'd be well off financially post-takeover, yet Cardwell leaving and the news that they didn't bother with an overnight stay for a 600 mile round trip match reeks of a club run by someone like Simon Corney. Maybe some insight from @Glossop Shrimper?

FRG pose the biggest threat for me. They were both big, statement signings and their result at Sutton (who I figured would be up there) suggests a title punt. I wouldn't want to be in a position of trailing them by 10 or 12 points really if we have firm designs on a title campaign. I think Barnet and York will drop points semi-frequently.

I know the square root of nowt about the new Southend ownership buy I did wonder why an Australian would be interested in owning them.  Does he have local links?

49 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

I did read FGR matched Cardwell’s release clause, and therefore nothing they could about it. Of course he could have still turned down FGR but presumably they offered him a fortune. Obviously I’d do the same as money talks, but it’s a sad state of affairs that players are leaving a somewhat big club to go to the likes of FGR playing infront of crap crowds both home and away with zero atmosphere. 
I was very surprised when reading about Southend travelling on the train on the day of a game, that does seem a strange one. 

On 9/3/2024 at 1:14 PM, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

FGR triggered a clause in Cardwell's contract stating any bid over a certain amount and he was free to leave. He had only just signed a 2 year contract with us as well so that had to be reimbursed. That deal must have cost FGR quite a bit.

New owners perhaps but the club is skint. They had previously invested some £3.5m before taking over, and have made it clear being prosperity will take time. Just before the takeover the club was back in court with creditors issuing winding up orders which needed to be resolved. Sadly Roots Hall is a mess too, parts of the ground have been condemned (dodgy concrete). With asbestos as well that needs to be remedied.

I was in a Fylde pub when our last game was cancelled. Bummer, but shit happens. Personally I've seen the team come up on the day on my own travels a few times, it's how we do it, but still a bit peeved when the train broke down. There were other Shrimpers on that train as well as Woking supporters going to Spotland.  There were also quite a few Shrimpers already up making a weekend of it in Blackpool and Lytham. Around 500 expected. Where we were some decided to go and see Everton play Bournemouth, the main one was Accrington. A bit of a 'nur-nur' wind up to see Stanley whoop the Voldermorts we don't mention.

That said, 4,500 season ticket holders, decent sponsorship deals, ground improvements, and despite Cardwell going we have strengthened. George Moncur, 31, signed on a season long loan, already proving to be a handful, Josh Walker from Burton ( good preseason but currently injured so won't be there on Saturday), a  new striker from Luton, defender from QPR ... where it counts the owners aren't shy about putting their hands in their pockets.

There was a prediction thread on here close season. I was chuffed to see us mentioned a few times on your forum but realistically a play off spot for us will be a brucey bonus, although hoping for more.

Apologies for the long reply but you did ask 🙂

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Glossop Shrimper said:

FGR triggered a clause in Cardwell's contract stating any bid over a certain amount and he was free to leave. He had only just signed a 2 year contract with us as well so that had to be reimbursed. That deal must have cost FGR quite a bit.

New owners perhaps but the club is skint. They had previously invested some £3.5m before taking over, and have made it clear being prosperity will take time. Just before the takeover the club was back in court with creditors issuing winding up orders which needed to be resolved. Sadly Roots Hall is a mess too, parts of the ground have been condemned (dodgy concrete). With asbestos as well that needs to be remedied.

I was in a Fylde pub when our last game was cancelled. Bummer, but shit happens. Personally I've seen the team come up on the day on my own travels a few times, it's how we do it, but still a bit peeved when the train broke down. There were other Shrimpers on that train as well as Woking supporters going to Spotland.  There were also quite a few Shrimpers already up making a weekend of it in Blackpool and Lytham. Around 500 expected. Where we were some decided to go and see Everton play Bournemouth, the main one was Accrington. A bit of a 'nur-nur' wind up to see Stanley whoop the Voldermorts we don't mention.

That said, 4,500 season ticket holders, decent sponsorship deals, ground improvements, and despite Cardwell going we have strengthened. George Moncur, 31, signed on a season long loan, already proving to be a handful, Josh Walker from Burton ( good preseason but currently injured so won't be there on Saturday), a  new striker from Luton, defender from QPR ... where it counts the owners aren't shy about putting their hands in their pockets.

There was a prediction thread on here close season. I was chuffed to see us mentioned a few times on your forum but realistically a play off spot for us will be a brucey bonus, although hoping for more.

Apologies for the long reply but you did ask 🙂

Your new owner is an Aussie?  Connection to Southend?

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

Your new owner is an Aussie?  Connection to Southend?

Yes, Justin Rees. No prior connection with Southend. He sold his IT company, and was looking for investment. 

Notwithstanding, he his the frontman of a consortium, the majority being local businessmen and season ticket holders. There are also some far east Fund managers involved, also supporters. When the local paper reported they were flying in, we knew that getting rid of the last owner was imminent.

Also very popular. When contracts were exchanged last season we were away at Kidderminster. He was on the terraces with the fans. News broke and he's was mobbed, probably loved it too!

At our first home game gainst York, he was in one of the local pubs with supporters.

We probably hold him in the same esteem as you with your Frank, at least until the next Ashes starts ...

12 minutes ago, Glossop Shrimper said:

Yes, Justin Rees. No prior connection with Southend. He sold his IT company, and was looking for investment. 

Notwithstanding, he his the frontman of a consortium, the majority being local businessmen and season ticket holders. There are also some far east Fund managers involved, also supporters. When the local paper reported they were flying in, we knew that getting rid of the last owner was imminent.

Also very popular. When contracts were exchanged last season we were away at Kidderminster. He was on the terraces with the fans. News broke and he's was mobbed, probably loved it too!

At our first home game gainst York, he was in one of the local pubs with supporters.

We probably hold him in the same esteem as you with your Frank, at least until the next Ashes starts ...

! wish you luck.  We once had a CEO who tried to make himself popular by appearing in the pub.  Ended up in jail...

1 hour ago, GKing521 said:

Rochdale look streets ahead against Aldershot - who battered us. 

The money we have spent and they look more likely to be promoted out of this league before we do. Shameful.

Score first against Aldershot and we win that game